What's new

Which out-of-print DVDs do you regret not buying? (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
A couple of anime titles (I'm not especially an anime fan but I like these): the boxset of the original Bubblegum Crisis, and volume 5 of Cowboy Bebop. I delayed picking these up and now they seem to have disappeared from every store in my area. Guess I'll have to look online for them.

Brian*D

Auditioning
Raging Bull, one of my absolute favorite films... I know I could pick it up online somewhere but I keep hoping for a special edition, especially since Warner is rereleasing Goodfellas. Time for MGM to get their act together and release Scorsese's best film is a deserving remastered two-disc special edition.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It seems the UK R2 equivalent of the Ultimate Toy Story boxset is still available. However, dvdcompare seems to suggest the R1 has slightly more extras, see:-
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=190
so it is an "inferior" version; but better than nothing I guess?

Personally, I'm just a little bit miffed at missing out on Disney Treasure's Tomorrowland tin. I wanted to buy it after reading the HTF review, but Amazon is out of stock. Oh well.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
For years, I have regreted not picking up the 1995 VHS release of the original Star Wars trilogy, and have made do with the Special Editions.
The great thing is, all of a sudden, everyone seems to be wanting to sell their old copies. In the past two or three months I have bought the entire trilogy twice (backup copies - very important) and could have had a third set if I wanted - all in widescreen. Great.

So now that that gaping hole in my life has been filled, I would say:

The Exorcist - original version
It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World - special edition with all the deleted scenes. Hopefully MGM will go to a company willing to work with Robert Harris on a restoration.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Is The Iron Giant out of print? I haven't been able to find it anywhere, and I'd sure like a copy.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely Criterion's "The Killer". Many a time I saw it at my local Best Buy and thought about picking it up, but thought "naaahh...I've got the Criterion (barebones) laserdisc. I don't need a DVD of the same thing, even if it does have extras. It's not like it's gonna go out of print or anything". :b

Oh well. At least I picked up CC's "Hard Boiled" just before it went OOP. I had learned my lesson by then. ;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The Last Days of Disco, I missed out on, and who knows what company owns it now.

I also should have bought a copy of Gothic that I saw being sold for $3.99 at a drugstore a couple years ago. Bad transfer, but it hasn't come our properly since then anyway, so, I should'a.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Criterion Woo flicks, Dead Ringers and Hitchcock box set.

Actually, I still know of one store carrying it but it's crazy expensive and the box is damaged so I can't justify it.

I also wish I would've picked up Re-Animator Millenium Edition months back.

I'm pretty sure I'm set with everything else, I have many OOP titles so I can't think of many others - maybe Roger Corman Classics Collection - but than I still know of an online retailer carrying it, I hate ordering boxsets online though!

Oh yeah, one BIG one for me - Exorcist 25th Ann. Box Set!

I'm sure there's more actually...

Lane_S

Agent
The Iron Giant SE will be available R1 on September 7th. The R3 has been available for almost a year.

Like so many others, it's just the Ultimate Toy Box for me. To add insult to injury, I bought the 2 disk set when "Ultimate" came out of cost considerations at the time. A year of so later, I saw it at Costco for $39.99 and even though I had the money, thought "good - you can still buy it cheap" and kept walking.

Of course right after that it was only available for no less than $69.99, then it dissapeared altogether. Two chances blown (I still couldn't justify the hyper-inflated $69 price for extras only).

Oh well - with Disney fully intent on making a Pixar-less Toy Story 3, I'll just wait for the re-issue in 2-3 years - at less than $40 I'll wager - to promote the new film.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

Lane, that's what I'm planning on as well I guess. Though I'm not thrilled about a Pixar-less Toy Story movie, but that's another rant I wont get on.... ;)

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
criterions silence of the lambs.I had it ordered online shortly before it went oop and they never sent it to me(curse you digital eyes!) even though they promised they had enough copies. saw it in best buy while i was waiting

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Flash Gordon. Can't find it ANYWHERE now.

But some DVDs I AM glad I picked up:
Silence of the Lambs CC
Robocop CC
Army of Darkness Limited Edition (Anchor Bay)
Last Temptation of Christ and Seven Samurai CC (may not be rare, picked up the last copies of both recently)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks