What's new

Which one to choose? (1 Viewer)

PaulDW

Auditioning
Budget Approx $5200

Wanna go big as I have a big room (from couch to TV will be 22 ft) to fill so 70 inch or bigger DLP.

Narrowed it down to......

72 inch Toshiba 72MX195

71 inch Samsung HLR7178

or 73 inch Mitsubishi either WD 73727, WD 73827, WD 73927

I think they are the main 3 out there and the top models for that brand?

Toshiba model is $3100 but is the top of the line Mitsubishi at $5100 and 2 inches bigger that much better? I'm a complete novice and it will be my first HDTV. Looking for a bit of advice/guidance.

TIA.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
if your room is that big, wouldn't you be much better off spending that $ on a projector? then you could get 100 inch PLUS screen sizes and the quality will be much better, and much more "movielike"...

PaulDW

Auditioning
Well that's wall to wall actually so I guess if I knock off 2 foot from the wall on each end puts it down to more like 18ft actually viewing distance. My friend has the 73 inch Mitsubishi and I was very impressed. The room isn't really setup for a projector.

Side to side in Sound Advice the Mitsubishi had no reflection at all, the samsung did but it seemed to have a clearer crisper picture.

I really prefer an entertainment unit to fill the space a little more and to be able to put the receiver, dvd player etc etc so I haven't even looked at projectors.......my brain is frazzled just researching TV's right now to be honest.

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Don't be afraid to research more about the front projector route. I came from rear projection and thought projectors were pretty complicated. It's pretty simple actually, pick a quality projector and screen and sit back in awe at the size and quality of a good HDTV channel or DVD. The difference between a 110" and the 73" Mits will be noticeable. Front projector come in two-flavors or technology, DLP-based and LCD-based. Price-wise you can get a very high quality projector for $2-3K range, and screen for less than $1K, still cheaper than your budget of $5200 for rear DLP. My $.02

Some reputable brands to look at
DLP
InFocus
Optoma
Mitsubishi
Samsung

LCD
Panasonic
Sanyo
Sony
Epson

PaulDW

Auditioning
Its one large great room with large windows at either end, one end the kitchen and the other a large sliding glass door that leads to outside so outside light interferance is a big factor.

I have been told rooms have to be very dark for the projectors to really look good and work properly (salesman @ Sound Advice) but like I say I'm not clued up.

I would definitely look into projectors if thats a good alternative if they are..

Cheaper

Same quality picture as a HDTV

Bigger screen

Whats the catch/downside of them then?

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Front projectors will absolutely meet all of your above 3 criterias, but the downside is indeed being able to control the light in your room. Based on your description, this would be a major concern in your setting and going your previous DLP route may be a better bet in this situation. But if you had the right room/environment in your home/basement, you would be smiling alot at your 100+ picture.

PaulDW

Auditioning
Now also looking at the JVC HD70FH96 with the HD ILA technology.

I have to make a decision soon, the World Cup in HD starts in early June! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Toshiba and JVC have gotten consistently better scores in testing in various home theater magazines than Samsung (a very digital picture) or Mitsubishi (more noise than some others). The 70" JVC got a rave last month, and as an owner of a JVC 52" (720p, however, instead of the 1080p you'll be getting), I can tell you that the picture quality is stupendous.

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to resurrect this thread. Which set did you end up going with? I am pretty much in an identical situation. Large room, many windows, poor ability to control light during the day, and the room opens up to the kitchen.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks