What's new

Which news network do you guys watch? (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The real answer is NPR, but for TV I do watch The News Hour with Jim Lehrer from time to time. This show actually goes past using sound bites and has some in-depth analysis. And their interviewers don’t shout down those they are interviewing with whom they disagree, something that happens all too frequently on other shows.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The BBC and, occasionally, CNN International. I used to watch Newsworld International almost exclusively, till they switched formats and became Current. I can't stand any of the major US networks for local, national or international news coverage; if I need a news fix, I read the stories online.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Lew! Only I watch The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer every single evening (preceded by BBC World News on another PBS outlet here in L.A.). And I agree about NPR.

On Friday evenings, I also tune in faithfully to NOW with David Brancacio and Washington Week in Review.

PBS all the way for me.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Interesting the amount of support there is for the BBC service. It should be noted that the BBC news bulletin you get is *not* the one we get in the UK which tends to be rather more akin to Fox in its intellectual depth. Within the UK, anyone I know with an interest in the real news tends to watch the Channel 4 [one of our commercial channels] news which tends to be more 'serious' and less obsessed with soccer players, etc.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

:laugh:

I generally watch CNN International, BBC World News,and The News Hour with Jim Lehrer. I can't stand the shouting matches either.

I also check a variety of news websites.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reminder Jack--WWR is on my watch list as well and has been for many years. My wife and I still refer to the News Hour as McNeil/Lehrer. :laugh:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
HDNews is the only place for me. Because if it isn't in HD, it isn't happening.
:)
Actually, I read the Washington Post (dead tree edition), occasionally listen to NPR, and get most of my other news from the web-- nytimes.com especially. Oh, and slashdot. I use a bunch of aggregation sources including google news and aldaily for variety.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Riiight... like Hannity&Colmes. One is an articulate idiot, and the other is weiner. Or Brit Hume's "All Star Panel": typically one ultra-conservative, two pseudo-conservatives, and a pseudo-moderate that is mostly conservative.

The only real news show I can stand is Countdown. The Daily Show and Colbert Report are good too.

TV555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Veryal
I love the Daily Show and sometimes can keep going onto Colbert.

Is there a difference in CNN and CNN International?
If it's like CNN, I would pass.

BBC seems to be the way to go.

I just want to make sure I am not picking my news stations based on what I want to hear, but based on what is closest to fact.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I find it interesting that when people argue against Fox News they state it's because they don't like watching people shout down their interviewees - aka Hannity and Colmes or O'Reiley. Those are interview shows - akin to Larry King Live or Meet The Press, albeit with a different flavor, not news reporting.

Brit Hume's Report or Fox Shepard are more news reporting shows. And I would disagree with the characterization of Hume's "All Star Panel". The times I've watched it there was a lady from NPR (not conservative), I believe his name is Mr. Williams (not conservative) and then 1 conversative and one moderate to conservative. *gasp* - balanced! Funny how many say that one conservative in a panel of 5 is balance and that 2-3 conservatives is outright propaganda.

I get most of my news off of the internet, but if I check it out on TV it's either local or Fox News.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
No one shouts on Larry King or Meet the Press. While Larry King is mostly fluffy celebrity BS anyway, MTP rarely has anyone interrupt another person speaking, let alone shout.

[THREE PARAGRAPHS DELETED BY MODERATOR. ALL ABOUT FOX NEWS AND ITS APPARENT BIAS AGAINST A POLITICAL PARTY.]

The other broadcast networks and CNN are marginally better. While they don't share FOX's vendetta against [A POLITICAL PARTY/MODERATOR EDIT], they often don't challeng accusations and simply repeat talking points.

As for local news - it's just ambulance chases - no news of real value to the community for the most part - a homicide that could easily be stated in much less time, as with a house fire etc, but nope who cares what city council did today.... not when there is a some flashy to put on the tv.

Then 5 minutes of maps on the weather.

It's a joke.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm a "NewsHour with Jim Lehrer" guy, myself. I miss Robert MacNeil, but it is one of the last news programs on air that actually feels like serious news.

Regards,

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Albert, you're violating this Forum's no-political-discussions rule (inviolable). I will edit it selectively, keeping your comments about news programming as relatively intact as I can. Please do not post direct political commentary again. Thanks. JB

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
so, expanding on ALberts comments, is there any news outlet that actually dares to challenge the conventional wisdom, to look beyond political biases for the real story?

Getting both sides rarely matters, if both sides are lying.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The very few times i've watched Hardball I'd say the Chris Matthews challenges both conservative and liberal views and party lines. But he too can be an interrupter.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You want to do that math again? You've got "not conservative" but not "liberal", so what -- moderate?

Total:

2 moderates
1 moderate to conservative
1 conservative

Fox has you believing that this is a balanced panel. Where are the "liberals"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks