What's new

Which MP3 player / PDA? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I have $500 to spend, and I want a portable MP3 player. At first glance the 40GB iPod seems the clear choice. However, I got to thinking: For that kind of change I could probably buy a nice PDA that also plays MP3s.

Here's my dream device: A PDA with a color screen that can play MP3s and video files. Would be nice if it had a hard drive, but I can live with flash memory. The biggest point: I want it to double as a GSM cellphone and connect to bluetooth headsets. Does such a device exist? I'd be willing to up my budget significantly for this.

If something like this isn't available now or in the immediate future, then I'd love suggestions on the best portable MP3 players money can buy. And for you iPod people - what are the best accessories you've found?

Thanks in advance!

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Apple Insider ran this item on a possible 4th generation iPod yesterday. Don't know how accurate it is, but with the color screen and video capabilities, it sure looks interesting.

AppleInsider

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I don't know of any PDAs that have hard drives in them, they all use flash memory. You can get a large compact flash card (or microdrive) but those are very expensive and still won't be very large.

At best you'll end up with two devices. Intially I was going to suggest getting a Dell Axim X3 (with builtin wifi if that's what you want) and a 20GB iPod.

If you want a phone built in, your choices are limited. For GSM I suggest getting the T-mobile Pocket PC phone. I don't know the specs on it, but if it has a CF or SD slot you can put a bluetooth adapter in it. The bluetooth headsets typically come with their own adapter that plugs into the headphone jack so that should work regardless.

My suggestion is to get an ipod no matter what PDA you choose. For music playing, it's vastly superior to anything a PDA can do. If you're just looking for a few minutes of music here and there it will work but for serious listening you deserve to get a seperate device.

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the replies. It looks like PDA/Phone combos aren't up to speed yet. The Tungsten T3 is slick, but you still have to carry around a bluetooth phone for communications.

So it looks like I'll be going with a dedicated music player. Further ideas in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
I'm also considering on purchasing an MP3 player and narrowed it down to iPod and Creative Zen Jukebox. I think I'll be getting the Creative Zen NX since it is more economical ($400AUD) for the 30GB capacity.

Anyone with the Creative Zen NX MP3 player have any comments would be appreciated.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sony Clie. A 128MB stick will give me an hour or so of music (and excellent reproduction). This is more than enough for me because I rarely listen to portable stereos (and when I do it's typically on train journeys where it's just got to block off the distraction of idiotic conversations around me). I guess it will be too little for someone v. keen on all-day music.

*However*, if you're only going to listen to music fo under an hour or so a day (or don't mind the repetition) you could always get a PDA, and load fresh music from your PC every day (it only takes about 5 minutes). Then you'll have a good quality MP3 player and much more. My prime need is a PDA that will do appointments, keep book manuscripts (I have the MSs of three full textbooks on mine), take photos, and have a decent stock of games.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
The coupon can be used at the Creative Labs site, which I've linked.

FW = Fatwallet.com

(careful...you may end up spending more, both time & money than you imagine)

Devin U

Second Unit
The clostest thing to everything you want in one package...

Handspring Treo 600.

Palm 5 OS, GSM quad band phone, Bluetooth via addon card (there is a new model comming out w/ built in bluetooth, the 610), can play mp3's and some video files (I dont know which ones, as I dont play video on mine) via SD/MMC card. About 500 w/ new activation, or about $700 (and a wait) without.

see it at www.handspring.com

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Peter,
Thanks for the coupon. It'll come in really handy when I make my purchase later today.

(So happy that they'll ship to Australia)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From my personal research the consensus for MP3 devices seems to be between the Rio Karma and the iRiver iHP-120, both 20 GB models. The Karma just got a 50.00 price reduction and can be found for around 250.00. The iRiver is about 100.00 more. I believe newegg.com carries both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks