What's new

Which is the better AVR (1 Viewer)

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I am looking for a high quality AVR. I don't need many hook-ups, only DVD/BluRay and TV programming HDMI input and one HDMI output to HDTV. The 2 top choices for me are the Anthem MRX700 and the Yamaha RXA3010. Though the Yamaha is rated as more powerfull, both have adequate power for me, and I need the capability to drive 4 ohm speakers.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't owned either one but Anthem receivers have always peeked my interest along with Arcam and Rotel. And Anthems proprietary room correction and eq is supposed to be one of the best out there. Yamaha seems to make very good receivers that are easy to use and perform very well. The 3010 will have more of the latest features (smaller brands can't adapt as quickly) but Anthem might have the edge in overall quality. But you'ld probably be hard pressed to hear any difference untill the room eq's kick in. But I'd take the Anthem just to satisfy my own curiosity. But the Denon 4311 might be better than both of them.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Gene,
Sorry about the late response, but I was waiting for other replies. You expressed what I was thinking about Anthem vs. Yamaha. What you said about the Denon 4311 being better has me thinking. How so is it better?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I looked up both receivers you mentioned. The only one that even comes close to saying it can handle 4 ohm speakers is the Yamaha [Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms]). It never really says it's 4 ohm certified. If you connect 4 ohm speakers to a receiver that can't handle them, you'll damage the receiver, and possibly the speakers too. If it's just the front three speakers that are 4 ohm, most newer receivers can probably handle them, as long as you don't crank the volume up for long periods of time.
The Yamaha also has "Pre-Outs", in case you wanted to add an external amp, to make sure you had the power to handle 4 ohm speakers. If all your speakers are 4 ohm, You'd be safer adding an external amp. The Anthem doesn't have Pre-Outs.
I've had Yamaha before, and it was ok. Not one that expensive though. I ended up selling it and got my Onkyo 805. I like Onkyo a lot better. More bang for your buck with Onkyo. They also use Audyssey for room correction and auto calibration of speakers, which is very good. Yamaha uses YPAO. My Yamaha didn't have that feature, but I've read many times that Audyssey is better. The Onkyo receivers, starting with the TX-NR709 on up, are 4ohm certified. http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver&Source=hdrmenu Some have complained that Onkyos get hot. Mine doesn't, but it's on a stand and not in an entertainment center, in a tight slot. If you use a rack, I'd have it on top, so it can breathe.
Good luck with whatever you get. :)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I would not worry about power ratings, they are close to worthless. Example is that my Parasound 85wpc external amp is nearly 4 times more powerful then the amps in my Pioneer receiver, rated at 110wpc. Even if you take power ratings from the same brand, you have to double the power to gain 3 db in sound volume, so is 120wpc is not enough, 240wpc will get you 3db more volume.
Anyway, what about something from Marantz?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Mr645 said:
I would not worry about power ratings, they are close to worthless. Example is that my Parasound 85wpc external amp is nearly 4 times more powerful then the amps in my Pioneer receiver, rated at 110wpc. Even if you take power ratings from the same brand, you have to double the power to gain 3 db in sound volume, so is 120wpc is not enough, 240wpc will get you 3db more volume.
Anyway, what about something from Marantz?
Power ratings for volume isn't important. But, the poster said he needs it to drive 4 ohm speakers, which is going to require some amp power, to keep from damaging stuff.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
mjcmt said:
Gene,
Sorry about the late response, but I was waiting for other replies. You expressed what I was thinking about Anthem vs. Yamaha. What you said about the Denon 4311 being better has me thinking. How so is it better?
The 4311 is one of the most talked about receivers on the net right now. Lots of good, clean power, most of the latest features and Audysseys new MultEQ XT-32. It also has 9 channels of power, HDMI 1.4 for 3D, multi-ch analog inputs and dual HDMI outputs. It's a pretty full-featured receiver. I have to admit I've kind of lost touch with Yamaha receivers over the last couple of years so I'm not that familiar with the 3010.
I almost pulled the trigger on an Anthem MRX 500 off Audiogon last week but waited too long and lost it :( . Oh well.
If your just looking for core audio performance then I'm sure the Anthem (and Yamaha) would be fantastic but for a $2000 receiver it's a little light on the latest internet, iPod and steaming features, at least according to what I've read about it .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks