Which is the best Rolling Stone's SACD to get for a casual fan?

Discussion in 'Music' started by RobBenton, Jun 12, 2003.

1. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I am a casual fan and would prefer a greatest hits type album. I see they have many.. some that are 2 disc and some that are one. My all time favorite song is "you can't always get what you want" so I would want to make sure any collection i get has that. Which is the best disc to get?

Thanks!

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

The Best choice would be Hot Rocks Vol. 1. Covers most of their big time early hits and contains your favorite song. It is a 2 disc set and will probably run you $25-30. It also sounds very nice.

J

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

You might want to look at the london years, i picked that up for 59 canadian, as opposed to 51 for hot rocks. and the london eyars has an extra 30 songs or so.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I agree with Justin - Hot Rocks 1 is probably the best bet.

[​IMG]

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

IMO, the best of the batch is "Beggar's Banquet", with "Let It Bleed" being the next best.

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Rich, I don't think Let It Bleed would be a good album for the casual fan.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Why not, J?

I recommended this one because it's one great hit after another, an album that should be heard as a single whole, and one of the better sounding of the bunch (though not as good sounding as "Beggar's Banquet"). You don't think he'd like these tunes:

Gimme Shelter
    Love In Vain
    Country Honk
    Live With Me
    Let It Bleed
    Midnight Rambler
    You Got The Silver
    Monkey Man
    You Can't Always Get What You Want

IMO, not a bad one in the bunch! I was actually a bit more uncertain about recommending "Beggar's Banquet", as that's not quite as chockful of radio hits, but to my ears it's the best sounding disc of the whole bunch (and the album's a personal favorite).

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I do think he would like the songs on Let It Bleed b/c they are great songs without question, but I think he isn't ready for it yet. I just think casual fans of any band should get a greatest hits collection first b/c they are use to the catchier hooks of the popular songs. I was going to try and use some songs from LiB as an example but I wasn't sure which ones to leave off b/c they are all great songs and have their unique style and flar to them. I didn't want to mention Midnight Rambler but leave out Love In Vain, or not talk about Let It Bleed, etc.

I am not a big of a fan of greatest hit collections by bands that I really love, I am like you and prefer albums that should be heard as a single whole but I would usually recomend a greatest hits to anyone who doesn't have an album from that artist.

Let It Bleed is a damn good album.

9. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I consider myself a casual (at best) Stones fan, and Let It Bleed is the only SACD of theirs I own. [​IMG]

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

If we exclude the hits albums then I would also say Let It Bleed is the best place to start. Hot Rocks is a good hits starting point, BUT Let It Bleed features Monkey Man (heard in Goodfellas) and Let It Bleed which are not on Hot Rocks AND this is a good intro album to pique your interest in Stones albums.

Sometimes a hits solution is the best thing, but in the case of the Stones I think that if you are going to enjoy a hits album then you are very likely to enjoy at least their 5-6 best albums as well. Save the hits cash and go right for the throat, so to speak. [​IMG]

Let It Bleed is likely to convince you to quickly pick up Some Girls, Beggars Banquet, Exile on Main St, and Sticky Fingers at least.

Stones, Beatles, Zep, Hendrix...when you are dealing with artists this big and popular it starts to become a good idea to just jump right in with the albums rather than beat around the bush with some hits package.

Having said that my lead-in to all of those but Zep was a Hits package, but if I could go back and do it again I would save the cash and time in those cases and get right to the albums.

I'm not disagreeing strongly with Jerimiah's point, simply saying that Let It Bleed, like Are You Experienced or Abbey Road is an album with enough hit power and consistant album song strength to quickly be adapted to. Sure it won't be as quick as a Hits since he will know everything (probably) coming in, but it won't be all that far off of that speed either. And often when you find an album-only song that you have heard or simply just like right away then you are more inspired to wade on in to the other albums.

Let It Bleed is one of the least risky album purchases a person could ever make. You may not end up liking it, but the odds of that aren't very high (if you like that song and some other Stones stuff).

11. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

Let it Bleed IS a greatest hits release! Start there. [​IMG]