What's new

Which HTIB for me? (1 Viewer)

Jason=F

Grip
Hello everyone, this is my first post. :b This forum looks like a great place, very informative and professional.

I'm in the market for a HTIB in the $500-800 range.

My requirements:
1. Small combined receiver/DVD/CD player
2. Silver in color (needs to match my 36" WEGA)
3. Dolby Digital EX/DTS/Pro Logic II decoding
4. Min. of 3 disks
5. Modern looking speakers
6. Min. 5.1 (think this goes w/o saying)

I spent my first 4-5 hours on this forum search previous post regarding the subject and it seems as if everyone suggests the Onkyo S770 (or S870). The system looks like a winner, however, it just doesn't suit the needs of the setup I'm looking for. The receiver and DVD player just take up too much space, and the speakers are too "book shelf" like. The design of the room is more modern, sleek, and simplistic --> so I want the MTIB to do the same. I understand that I'm giving up ultimate sounds to meet my needs, but that is something I'm willing to sacrific.

Before coming to this forum I was pretty sure I was going to get a Sony Dream System DAV-FR8, however, the reviews have been less than flattering. I'm looking for some with a similar look, the DAV-FR10W w/ the infrared rear speakers is tempting too (how much sound is sacrificed with a setup like this?).

The other HTIB I was looking at was the Samsung HT-DS660T due to only having the 2 single front speakers (continues on w/ the less is more theme of room). However, I haven't seen any decent reviews and I'm worried it will get similar reviews to the Niro 1.1 which has problems giving you that 360° sound. Anyone have experience with this HTIB?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
you could go for the panasonic SC-HT 920 or 720 if the 920 doesn't appeal to you. I own the 720. althought it doesn't sound nearly as good as my separate components system, it can't be beat for ease of use.
here

Jason=F

Grip
EricRWem see this paragraph in my first post... (I'm looking for suggestions for something OTHER than the Onkyo)

Brandon>C - I'm looking for a combined unit (a receiver and a DVD player)... and NOT a Onkyo.

PeterK - thanks for the suggestion. How big is the room you use the system in? What kind of seperate component system do you have? Can you change CD's while you listen to a CD (this is a feature the Sony doesn't seem to have...)?

StephenWE

Agent
Just food for thought. One of the guys in my apartment building has the Panasonic system linked. I'm not sure about changing CD's, but the sound is incredible for a HTiB. I already have my mind set on the S770, but if I didn't, that's the system I would buy.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Try to find a store where you can audition the Sony Dream System for yourself. My brother Pat has one and frankly it really impressed me and is what I would recommend right away. The sound is very good and it has a digital in for his digital cable (which has DD5.1 on some movies). Where did you read unflattering reviews?

Panasonic also makes some really nice smaller units like you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks