What's new

Which HDTV Receiver to Buy? (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I have a Tosh 65h80 TV and have thoroughly enjoyed DVD's on it for over a year. Now, it's time to take the next step, as my cable feed has gotten unbearably bad. I don't have a preference for Dish or DirecTV. I don't need a second room setup, either. Which one to buy:

Samsung, Toshiba, Dish 6000? Others? Also, what kind of dish would I need, and are there any differences in picture quality between various dishes.

Thanks in advance,

Jan.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If you want to match your equipment I would recommend the Toshiba dst3000. It may be getting replaced soon but I have been more than pleased with mine. So far the best DSS receiver I have owned, feature and picture wise. I have a hdtv dss shootout on file where a reviewer compared the sony, rca, toshiba, and mitsubishi that I used to help make my decision. If you like I would be happy to email it to you.
Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help you with.
P.S. HDTV is sooo worth it :emoji_thumbsup:

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jed,

Yeah, I've been leaning to the Tosh for the whole system matching reason. Is it being discontinued? What else would I need in addition to the receiver itself? I'm really kind of clueless about this whole process. Any advice would be helpful. And, yes, please e-mail me with that info. Regards, Jan.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Hughes (who made the DST3000 I believe) just released a Hd receiver for $500. Might be worth looking at.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Jan, to answer the rest of your question, all you will need is a set of component (colorstream) cable and an antenna to pick up local HDTV. If you can find a Double Bowtie indoor antenna from radio shack I would recommend getting one but they are becoming harder to find. If you already have an antenna mounted to your house or in your attic then you probably are already set up, but you still need the component cable to go from the stb to the tv. Most companies supply a standard cable for you to use but for HDTV I would recommend more than normal to buy a decent one from a store. You can also pick up HDTV by subscribing to Directv or Dish (if you go that way) but then you will need to add an elliptical dish that runs around 120-200. Ask if I said something that confused you.

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
To get the colorstream feature to work, you need to have component cables hooked up from the dvd player to the TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks