What's new

Which flat screen tv has the best picture for the least price, Sony, Samsung or JVC? (1 Viewer)

Keith_JS

Agent
I went to Sears today intent on looking at a few Sony Wegas. I came away overwhelmed by the beautiful picture and clarity of a 32" Samsung flat screen (TSL3294HF) which was available for $1,200. The salesman tried to "stear" me towards the Sony Wegas but my eyes kept straying to that gorgeous Samsung picture.

I have a budget of $1,599 MAX and would prefer a flat screen, direct view tv between 30-38" (widesreen would be a definite plus but it's not a neccesity).

Judging solely on picture and reliability how does Samsung compare with similar flat screen JVCs and Sonys? Are there any other manufacturers in my price range that I should consider? Should I wait until July to make a purchase when the new models come out?

Thanks in advance.

EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING:

P.S. Although the title of this thread requests that you evaluate the tvs using cost as a criteria this is upon consideration uneccesary. As long as the tv is avail. for under $1,600 that's fine. All that matters to me is getting a great picture and a reliable tv (or one with a 1 yr parts and labor warranty).

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Keith- I think you should also take a look at TVs by Toshiba and Panasonic. If you price-match at Sears, you should be able to get the Sony WEGA KV-32FV27 at well below $1599.99. I got my FV27 at Sears for $1167.97 (total price after all charges were figured in). They were having a free stand sale so I got the stand for free. The picture on my WEGA seems to get better with age (much like wine). But, that could just be me. You should seriously consider the WEGA FV series (they can do the automatic anamorphic squeeze trick via the component inputs).

Keith_JS

Agent
Thank you for your response Brian.

I am definitely considering the Sony but as I said yesterday, the Samsung surprised me with its picture at Sears. It actually looked better than the Sony. Was this just an anomaly?

Any thoughts on JVC sets?

What are the model numbers for the Toshiba and Panasonic sets that you recommend?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Although I don't own one (yet), if you look around this forum you'll see several posts from people who favorably compare the Samsungs to Sony, Panasonic, etc. And the Samsungs are often hundreds less. If I can get comparable quality for less, for me the path is clear.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
The WEGA being compared is not HDTV ready. The tsl3294hf is an HDTV ready TV that will display 1080i and PROGRESSIVE scan. You will need to compare it to a wega that is at the very top or out of your price range. Really not a fair comparison for the Wega because the Sammy simply SMOKES it. I have been a porud/happy owner of the TSL3294hf since begin of March and I can tell you your eyes were not deceiving you. I have said it many times on here, THIS IS THE BEST TV YOU CAN BUY FOR THE PRICE BAR NONE!
If you have a SAM's club near you, you can get the 3295 for $999 if still available. Same as the Sears model (case color slightly different) Sears has the TSL3294 because they don't want to have to price match!
I too went shopping for a Panny, Wega and Tosh flat screen when I saw the lower end sammy at BB. My GF and I took one look at it and said, thats the one. I was fortunate to get a deal comperable to the cheapest Wega. But even @ 1200 it is a good deal.
You should be able to haggle and get it for $1100 now since they are clearing out, waiting for the new TSM versions to be shipped.

When you register your Samsung online after you get it, they extend the warranty 3 mos giving you a total of 15mos warranty. Better then Sony, etc.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
A quick word on warranties: most Sonys are 12 months parts/3 months labor, same with Panasonic. All JVCs and Samsungs are 12/12. Although I think Sonys are the best tube TVs out there, the Samsungs at the price they're at are tough to beat. The new JVCs don't look half bad, either. The Samsungs I've seen have looked sweet on HD or prog. DVD, but pretty dang bad with a cable/VCR input, but perhaps that's changed?

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I also found samsung, JVC and toshiba better than sony(picture), they were all sitting side by side, and if you can find check Daewoo 16:9 ratio TV with built in DD 5.1 and HD decoder(real HDTV), Its picture quality is amazing.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that would make me consider a Sony is that they are extremely adjustable in the service menus. If you intend to have the set ISF calibrated then Sony is the best choice among those listed. The color decoder is actually adjustable on their sets whereas they aren't in other brands. It is impossible to perfectly correct the red push on my Panny because it isn't adjustable.

If calibration isn't in your plans then the Samsung is a fine choice...I saw one just the other day and was impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks