What's new

Which films would like to see get the Criterion treatment? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Theres a link on the Criterion website that invites requests for future titles. Though its highly, highly, highly unlikely that a request is gonna result in a release unless its already in production, or they already have the rights, its fun to dream! With that in mind, which titles do you think need and deserve the respect and care that Criterion give their DVD releases. My personnal list appears below, but obviously, its down to your own personnal perferences. (I don;t know any of their LDs so forgive me if any of the below have already been in their catalogue!)
Paris, Texas - I NEED this on DVD!
Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick)
The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah)
Lift to the Scaffold (Louis Malle)
Sunset Boulevard (Billy Wilder) - a criterion version would rock
The Apartment (Billy Wilder) - the existing transfer was a disappointment
Blue Velvet (David Lynch)
Traffic (Steven Soderbergh)
And perhaps a strange one to some:
Swingers - the existing disc is barely better than the VHS. Bring on the SE
... and many many more that I can't thnik of right now!

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
The Fearless Vampire Killers (1966). This title would be perfect for Criterion. A somewhat obscure classic that was beautifully filmed with an excellent score. Dare I dream?
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
With that in mind.... Repulsion and Knife in the Water would make great Criterion DVDs. REpulsion is another title I desperately want on DVD.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Heavenly Creatures
I want to see a full-blown special edition with the full version of the movie that was only shown in New Zealand.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Paul D., I believe Criterion has Knife in the Water in the works.
Here's a few flicks I'd like to see Criterion get ahold of:
Santa Sangre
The Ninth Configuration
Slacker
and I could go on and on...
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if use that line in my next western?"

Matthew_S

Second Unit
quote: Paris, Texas - I NEED this on DVD![/quote]
I feel the same way, Paul! Luckily a SE (Not Criterion) is in the works. This from http://www.wim-wenders.com:
"Most of the feature films, including Lisbon Story, Wings of Desire, Until the End of the World and Paris, Texas are in various stages of DVD preproduction , which is executed in Munich and also Berlin, where deleted scenes and never before seen footage are being compiled and edited to be included as special features on the DVD's."
Can't Wait!!
As for my long shot Criterion wish- Born on the Fourth of July 12 years later and i'm still waiting for a halfway decent transfer!!
[Edited last by Matthew_S on August 31, 2001 at 10:33 AM]

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My list of titles to buy in 2002 is growing with a dizzying pace: now 'Paris, Texas' SE and 'Glengarry Glen Ross' SE are at the top of my list.
I agree about 'Born on the 4th of July' - its such a moving, excellent film, and its been given so little respect on DVD so far. I saw a friend's copy of the SE, and was REALLY disappointed!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Anything by David Lynch.
Swingers would be really good as well.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
The River - Tsai Ming-Liang
The Apu Trilogy - Satyajit Ray
Chungking Express - Wong Kar-Wai
Close-Up - Abbas Kiarostami
An Angel at My Table - Jane Campion
The Wind - Victor Sjöström
Mouchette - Robert Bresson
Los Olvidados - Luis Bunuel

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Ones I know Home Vision has:
More and La Vallee (Barbet Schroeder)
Ones others have that I doubt we could hope for:
The Swimmer (Columbia)
Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane
Why Shoot The Teacher
Taureau
Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Paramount)
also agree with Heavenly Creatures, An Angel At My Table and many others.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 31, 2001 at 01:16 PM]
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 31, 2001 at 01:17 PM]

Mark E J

Second Unit
I got one for ya!
David Fincher's Alien 3
It should be done like the Criterion Brazil disc. It should contain:
Fincher's definitive director's cut.
The legendary bootleg "Workprint" version.
The original theatrical cut. (With critical commentary by Fincher)
It should also have:
A in-depth documentary on all the diffrent versions of the script that were considered. Featureing an Outtake Reel that has all of the deleted scenes and unused footage.
As well as another in-depth documentary on the behind the scenes fight to get the film made.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ran
Amadeus
Its a Mad Mad Mad World
DragonSlayer
Scarface
Dick Tracy
Ed Wood
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Blade Runner
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
A Clockwork Orange
Malcolm X
Dead Presidents
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Wind - I'd love to have an extra feature that included a history of the America's Cup.
Malcolm X - Great suggestion, Jon. Put in some archival footage of Malcolm from television talk shows and the printed Alex Haley interview of Malcolm from the May 1963 Playboy magazine.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Ed Wood
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (This movie is fantastic)
MST3K: The Movie (It would be neat if Criterion let the original writers and performers to re-act the theater segments according to the original script...not the focus group crap they had to do!)
The Thief and the Cobbler (Edit together finished film (finished...HA!) with Richard Williams' workprint...anamorphically encoded and with commentary by Williams) Also, drawings and other art
Abel Gance's Napoleon (2 disc set) It would have the definitive 5.5 hour cut Kevin Brownlow has recently put together with Carl Davis' score. It should have a commentary by Kevin Brownlow (he spent decades reconstructing the film) and have the tryptich finale anamorphically encoded to the full 4.0:1 aspect ratio. (It would look poor on video, but DVD would allow the full ratio) Also, the alternate 1.33:1 version prepared by Gance for the finale could be provided.
It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World wouldn't really benifit from a Criterion treatment. The DVD should be from the edited-down 35mm version so that the 65mm elements can be saved for a true restoration...we don't need another "The Alamo" incident to be brought onto it.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll avoid my rebuttal on Mad World since Criterion couldn't get the rights anyway and focus on a more realistic choice.
Metropolis. No good dvd of this is available, and it seems to be public domain, so it should be a no-brainer. Why they haven't already done it is baffling.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks