Which DVI cable to use in future with Panasonic PTAE/L 500?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris PC, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have an iScan Ultra connected to my AE100 Projector via VGA cable. If I upgrade to a projector with DVI input, such as the Panny 500, which DVI cable to use? Digital? Analog? The one that does both? What do they look like and how can I differentiate them? DVI-I or DVI-D or something like that? I'd need a 25 foot cable minimum.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

DVI-D is the one you want to use. Single link is fine, though dual link will work ok too. You want a reasonable quality DVI cable for that length, don't just go for any low quality cable.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Where can I learn more about DVI and DVI cables? Thanx for the info [​IMG]

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    There are three DVI connection types: DVI-I (analogue and digital), DVI-A (analogue only) and DVI-D (digital only). You want DVI-D, which looks like this (24 pins):

[​IMG]

The connector above is dual link, but the following single link would also be fine (dual link is much more common):

[​IMG]

DVI-I is more common than DVI-D, but the plug won't fit into the AE500. DVI-I looks like this (24 pins plus 5 for analogue RGBHV):

[​IMG]

The extra pins visible on the left are analogue. The AE500 won't accept analogue DVI and these pins will prevent a DVI-I plug from fitting. As Gabriel said, single link is fine. It's good for up to 1920x1080/60Hz (dual link is good to 2048x1536/60Hz), so don't worry much about whether the cable is single/dual link.

As far as I know DVI has no error correction, so a good quality cable may be wise for long lengths. I'm currently looking at getting an Audioquest DV-1 cable, which looks to be good value for money. There isn't a huge choice, but I believe Better Cables and Monster also do DVI cables; all cost ~$200-300 for a 30 foot length (Monster is more expensive).

Adam

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow. Thats costly. I wonder if its worth the money? What is the "single-link" and "dual-link" stuff? What exactly are the link details in terms of the actual technology of the cable?

6. Ali K

Ali K Auditioning

I've just bought a Sony HS 20 and wanted a DVI cabel of about 25 ft lenght, but was unable to find one at that length. Montsre cable however, do a 40 ft version which costs 400 USD retail, but cab be found for about 260, do a froogle search for M500 DVI

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

8. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

Adam:
    I ordered a RAM Electronics 40 foot DVI-D Cable from RAM Electronics for $182.00 for my PTL-300U. There seems to be some confusion, though, on some of the other Forums about what format DVI-D supports, especially with the PTL 300U. Just what does a DVI-D Cable support using a Momitsu V880 or a HDTV receiver, without using Component Video Outputs or a VGA Adapter?

9. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Marvin, the DVI-D cable supports 24-bit digital RGB (8-bit x 3) video + integrated sync through a serial bitstream. It also carries a differential pixel clock channel and a two-way 'query/response' Display Data Channel.

The Momitsu outputs digital and analogue RGB from its DVI-I output, but the DVI-D cable doesn't utilise the analogue component of the output signal.

Adam