What's new

Which DVDs would you like to see redone? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Pulp Fiction
Titanic
The Abyss
All of the above need to be redone if for no other reason than they are not anamorphic transfers!!!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Paths of Glory with a commentary by Kirk Douglas (while he's still around...), and perhaps some information on the incident that inspired the movie.
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if use that line in my next western?"

nousername

Supporting Actor
I thought this movie was quite well done. What did you find wrong with it? Superman II needs to be redone, but I'm pretty satisfied with the first one. If you know something we don't (such as missing scenes or whatnot), please let us know! I love this movie and would be interested in any deleted scenes not already presented in the current DVD...

nousername

Supporting Actor
Since I started this post, I will clarify why I think the DVDs on my list need to be redone:
  • Sea of Love (currently non-anamorphic)
  • Vertigo (currently non-anamorphic)
  • Karate Kid (currently non-anamorphic)
  • Psycho (currently non-anamorphic)
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles (needs to use a better print)
  • My So-Called Life (horrible transfer; obvious pixelation)
  • Antz (already very good, but may benefit from a direct digital transfer)
  • Raging Bull (currently non-anamorphic)
  • The Deer Hunter (currently non-anamorphic)
  • Planet of the Apes, 1968 (currently non-anamorphic)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There are some great films that got poor treatment that I would like to see redone like...
- Crimson Tide (as a 16x9 SE with dts)
- Titanic (as a 16x9 2 disk SE with dts using Infinifilm techniques)
- Top Gun (16x9 SE)
- Deep Impact (16x9 SE with making of feature)
I would also like to see The Fifth Element does as a nice 2 disk SE with superbit on one disk and full blown extras on the other disk. I would like an hour documentary into the making of the movie and its special effects.
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

[Edited last by Neil Joseph on September 05, 2001 at 12:19 AM]

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
I thought this movie was quite well done. What did you find wrong with it?
I want to see a SUPERMAN DVD with the original cut of the movie, and the original soundtrack. Until that happens, I prefer to watch my old laserdisc.
Deleted scenes and "director's cuts" and "improved" soundtracks are well and good, but for god's sake release the original movie as well.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

nousername

Supporting Actor
Excellent point. Perhaps they should have left the soundtrack alone and put in seamless branching for the deleted scenes.
I personally was not bothered by the added deleted scenes in the SUPERMAN DVD, but I can certainly understand it if some people are.

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Ghostbusters II (16x9, with all of the deleted scenes, making-of featurettes, music tracks, commentaries,and other cool extras)
Jurassic Park (16x9, with all of the extras on the current disc plus a commentary by Steven Spielberg and some of the cast & crew)

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I'd like to see many dvds be redone:
Titanic - Anamorphic widescreen with many supplements
Scream - Anamorphic widescreen with the directors cut
Goodwill Hunting - Anamorphic widescreen
Pulp Fiction - Anamorphic widescreen with lots of extras
Top Gun - Anamorphic widescreen with extras

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I hope Superman is only adapted for HD adaption. I'm glad that the original cut and sound mix were not included...that would have been space wasted.
I remember Richard Donner (or someone involved with the restoration) saying how poor the "stereo" mix was done. I thought the point of presentations was to make them as good as possible. I understand about purists...but the stereo mix would sound poor compared to the excellent video quality. Same thing with Wizard of Oz. The mono track is just poor compared to the 5.1 track which is mastered from the original sound recordings. The films actually benifit (I think action/musical films really benifit from better sound.) from the enveloping sound. I'd rather have a commentary track and music-only track instead of a battered mono track.
Oh well, some people just aren't pleased even if the director authorizes for the movie to be improved. (I find the restored version of Superman to be 10x superior to the original in content AND quality.)
Anyhoo...now my list:
Fantasia (With Walt Disney's Original Uncut version...not the *profanity ahead* F**KING POLITICALLY CORRECT VERSION! Why can't a DVD simply have a seamless branched version???)
MST3K: The Movie (The Image version lacked in everything. No trailer or menus even!)
Amadeus (Great image and sound, but it needs to be turned into a dual-layered edition with all the LD extras. It's not really that bad for an early DVD...)
The Thief and the Cobbler (bare-bones P&S DVD...this is a panavision film that needs the workprint without the crappy Korean animated sequences and a Richard Williams commentary)
Help! (Keep the extras, make a 1.66:1 16x9 enhanced HD transfer. Also add a Richard Lester commentary.)
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.
[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on September 07, 2001 at 05:09 PM]

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Anything that lacks anamorphic enhancement.
Some of those are:
Heavenly Creatures-not even OAR, which is the biggest shame.
From Dusk Til Dawn
Natural Born Killers-Directors Cut
The Hunt For Red October-terrible picture
Nixon
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Patrick- needless to say, I disagree 100% with everything you said. The most important thing we disagree on, however, is that I am willing for you to see an altered version of SUPERMAN. You, on the other hand, are unwilling for me to see the unaltered version. Hmm...
PS: SUPERMAN was originally released in 70mm 6-track sound, NOT "stereo". Just one more bit of misinformation to convince people that creating a new soundtrack was justified.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
Bean [Better Quality/Extras/Deleted Scenes]
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves [Better Quality/1 side]
Goodfellas [Better Quality/1 side]
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective [Better Quality/Extras]
Blade Runner (Coming!
wink.gif
)
A Christmas Story [Better Quality]
The Fifth Element [Extras] (Superbit Coming! No Extras though)
Weekend at Bernies [Better Quality]
WarGames [Better quality/Extras]

------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Oh well, some people just aren't pleased even if the director authorizes for the movie to be improved. (I find the restored version of Superman to be 10x superior to the original in content AND quality.)
Oh, but we're the EASIEST ones to please! Just dump the original movie on the disc as is — no need to spend valuable time and money "fixing" things that aren't broken, and "improving" things that were just fine the way they were.
You may find the "restored" version superior, and that's fine. It's a free country; you may opine whatever you like. But I have that same right, and I happen to disagree with you. Why should your taste be catered to but mine ignored? What makes your opinion better than mine?

[Edited last by Carl Fink on September 09, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Tombstone (for sure)"
Ryan ... AMEN!
That's one disc I CANT buy until it's rereleased. It would be really easy to add lots of extra, a commentary would be great.
Brent L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks