What's new

Which digital camera do you have? (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Nikon 995. I don't like very small cameras (hard to hold steady). If I was purchasing today I'd make sure I would get a SLR that could accept standard sized lenses. The 995 takes great pictures but you are limited to 3-4 coolpix lenses...

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Canon PowerShoot S400. It's a small wonder that does almost everything I need (I am a casual photo enthusiast). It's only a tiny bit larger than my cell phone (Sony Ericsson T68i) but does 4 MP, 3X optical zoom, and has a host of cool features (I wish it had manual exposure, manual focus, and unlimited movie length though).

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Hey all, had a Canon S1 IS, which was/is a great little rig.

Just picked up a Sony A100K between myself and the family for me at Christmas.

Can't wait!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Haha. Wow indeed, Scott. Guess I'll play too then:

Nikon D200 (+ lenses + flash + pods + etc) -- my main camera since Christmas last year though now I kinda wish I had gone w/ a nice violin instead... :P

Nikon D70 -- still have this from 3/04 w/ the infamous GBLOD fix; just haven't felt like it's worthwhile selling on eBay; :frowning: maybe I should just sell the D200 while it's still worth enough to help buy a nice violin :rolleyes

Fuji F20 -- nice little carry-everywhere p&s cam for the wife, but I probably use it as much as she does :D

Previously had a Canon G3 (and still have lens convertors, big flash, etc), Canon S230, Nikon CP800.

Happy shooting!

_Man_

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Kodak Easyshare V705, the third in the series of Kodak's dual lens compacts.

Two lenses -- one wide, one regular. This particular model has a 23mm fixed lens, wider than any other compact, and a 39-117mm -- neither of which extends out from the camera body itself.

I really hemmed and hawed before deciding I'd thought about it so much it was essentially mine by default! At 7 MP, it was not as huge an increase in megapixels as I'd have liked for the price ($300). And the boxy shape wasn't winning any points.

At $200 this would have been an easy choice. But at $300 I had to think about it.

The internal lens structure was something I wanted -- I was tired of cameras that extend a lens when you turn them on. And the ultra-wide angle lens is something I'd sought out in the specifications of countless cameras -- without success (except for one Canon that starts out at 28mm, all other brands start at about 38mm or so).

Visiting the camera in a store, I found the controls to be entirely intuitive (unlike, say, a Nikon Coolpix that refused to "boot up" because it couldn't find an ethernet connection!). One negative is that there are no settings for how much compression the JPG files will receive. I suppose their rationale is that at 7 MP, any compression squiggles that may be present will be difficult to spot anyway, but still I'd have liked to have the standard three level "fine - regular - crap" settings.

This camera is available in both silver or black. I chose silver. I haven't actually received the camera yet but I may say more when I have.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
My primary camera is a Sony Alpha with several Sigma and Minolta lenses and accessories.

I also have a Sony DSC-P200 and a DSC-T9 for those candid moments when a large DSLR won't do.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hey, Rob. Looks like you made some major upgrades on your camera equipment. :D Niiiice!

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Previously had a Canon G3
I owned one of those, too, Man. I shot some great pictures with that camera. My dad's using it now. It was a great point & shoot.

My Christmas present this year (got it early due to a very good price) was a new Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens for my Rebel XT. This replaces the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 that I originally purchased with the camera as my everyday lens. I had planned on selling the Sigma, but it's very light compared to the Canon and also has some macro capabilities, so I may hang onto it for those times I want to travel light or not carry an expensive lens.

My setup now includes:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Canon Speedlite 430EX

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Scott,

The G3 was definitely a very nice digicam, especially back in its day. I ended up just selling it to a coworker.

I had been lusting after some lenses, etc. for a while, including the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR that Rob has, but am now putting off such upgrades indefinitely since we're expecting a new baby shortly and are also diverting funds (and time) toward the violin and such for the family. My range of medium grade, semi-pro lenses (and single speedlight rig) will have to do for now -- I'm even tempted to sell the D200 and maybe downgrade to a D80 or fall back on my old D70, but not sure if I should bother. If I buy any significant gear in the near future, it'll probably be a decent camcorder -- maybe go w/ a good used one.

I have the following for my Nikon DSLRs:

Nikon 18-70mm DX f/3.5-4.5
35mm f/2
50mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX

Nikon SB800 speedlight w/ Newton Di100FR2 flash bracket (rotates and collapseable)

Fiesol carbon fiber tripod and monopod w/ a Bogen QR swivel/tilt head -- still need to get a decent, affordable ballhead for the tripod (probably the Giottos 3000 + Bogen QR for matching QR plates)

Hmmm... I guess I forgot to mention that I also briefly had a Nikon D50 for temp/backup use, which I ended up selling to my sister. :D

_Man_

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
2003:
Canon PowerShot S400.

8,200+ photos later....

2006:
Canon Digital Rebel XTi
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Phil,

How do you like the Canon 70-200 f/4 IS lens? I debated between the non-IS version and the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS lens, but the desire for image stabilization and extra reach won out over the "L" glass. If the 70-200 IS was available then, my decision would have been much more difficult.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I shoot Canon 1DMKII, Canon 5D, & Canon 350XT modded for infared.

Favorite lens lately has been the Sigma 20mm 1.8. It is a bit soft wide open, but it get shots other lenses cannot .

The other favorite lens is the 70-200 2.8 L IS. Great bokeh, as they say!
Most boring lens, the 24-70 2.8 L. It does its job well, but does not thrill the way the 70-200 does. I dunno, it is just a great workhorse but I find I have to work the files more in post to make them "mine".

Two Canon flashes and the infared wireless make for interesting flash fun. Here's a spider the size of my little fingernail with a little off camera remote flash:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks