What's new

Which cables to use? (1 Viewer)

jmrock

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
I have a new Samsung HD LCD with home theatre system and HD cable box. Now I have an HDMI cable and 'Monster' component video/analog audio combo cables. Is the HDMI cable (attached from DVD player to TV) enough or are the video component/audio cables needed also?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
HDMI is perfect for your dvd, You will need the component and audio cables for your cable box (if it's a high def cable box) otherwise you need composite (yellow) and audio from the cable box to the TV. Unless you are going to use Channel 3/4 for watching cable. What are you using (if any) for surround sound?

jmrock

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
So I just have to connect the component cables from the HD cable box to the TV? I will be using surround sound for both watching TV (via cable) and movies.

jonny h

Agent
Sorry Jay, I missed the part about the cable box. I assumed you were connecting a home theater in a box/DVD player combo to the TV. Could you tell us about your different components? Model numbers and/or connection types would be especially helpful. The specifics can be different, but big picture wise, if you want to watch everything with surround sound you'll want the video from each source (DVD, cable box, etc.) to go to the TV and the audio to go to your home theater system.

jmrock

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
I have the Samsung 46" LCD 4965 (1080p) with the Panasonic home theatre/dvd player combo. I have a HDMI cable and video/audio component cables. I would like to get the optimum picture and sound from these cables, so I want the best hook up possibilities to achieve this.

jonny h

Agent
Do you have a model # for your Panasonic? That would help. I looked some up online and found some that I'm guessing you might have:

SC-HT740
SC-HT940

Is either one of them it? Either a model or a list of the different inputs and outputs would be a workd of help. Same goes for the cable box. As far as video connections go, use the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV. This will allow you to see the "upconverted" DVD picture. Use component cables (Red/Green/Blue) from your cable box to the TV.

For audio, optimally you would use a digital connection. If you have one of the above DVD/Home Theaters, then you are out of luck there. Conect your cable box audio (Red/White) to your DVD/Home Theater.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks