What's new

which brands should I look at? (1 Viewer)

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
George,

I'm in Cleveland, also. I'm just curious as to what stores you've been to for auditioning? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

Jack

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The Revel Performa F30's are in that price range and the Dali Grand Diva also.
I listened to the Revel's today as a matter of fact! The Revel sub sounded and felt excellent. Unfortunately, I don't think I will pay $3000 for a sub. But, in a few years, who knows....

I have to call around and see what else is availale around here. Then I will see what is within driving distance. As long as I don't need plane tickets to get there, I could always use a road trip.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I was able to listen to some Martin Logan Clarities (that's what the sales guy called them, but I don't see them listed in my literature) and some B & W speakers. I liked them both, but I think I may give a slight edge to the Martin Logan's.

Speaker shopping is tough! But it is fun too.

Does anyone know of any stores in the Cleveland area (within 40 minutes or so) I should try out to see some more brands? I have been to Audio Craft, Audio Visions, The Golden Gramophone, and Hoffman's Audio. When I buy a sub, does it matter what brand I choose? Do I have to match brand for brand? I've heard so many good things about SVS in this forum, that I am seriously thinking of giving them a try.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
A quick suggestion,
if you enjoy the sound of the 2000's why not get the BP 30's which are basically the same thing without the powered subs. They sound AWESOME. Spend the extra cash on an SVS 20-39 PC+ or something similar.
IMO the SVS/deftec combo would sound killer and would be LESS money than the 2000TL's
Dale

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
Almost forgot,
You might want to try the BP2x's before spending the extra 1000 on Definitive's BPVX/P's. I tried both and stuck with the BP2x's simply because they essentially sound alike 90% of the time and IMO are overkill for 5.1
But hey its your money and there is no denying that they sound great, but the difference would buy a REALLY nice sub that would provide more real world value for your movies and music.

C

Chris*Liberti

Anything that is Bi/dipolar will have similar problems in your room. For best sound they need to be a few feet away from the wall. This will eliminate any electrostatic pannels (maggies and martin logan) as will as bipolar/dipolar/omnipolar speakers (some Mirage, Definitive Technologies). The Von Schweikerts are awesome speakers as well. Some more to consider if you can find them anywhere would be Totem, Sonus Faber(tad pricey), Monitor Audio, Jamo, RBH, PSB, and JM Labs. This will give you a wide range of different sounding speakers some geared more towards HT some more towards music.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Thanks for the new suggestions, I'm going to consider everything because I do want the most for my money.

Now I have to find some more brands around here.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
George, keep up the good listening.

Speakers are certainly not something to rush into, especially if they are intended to be your dreamspeakers.

I would still highly encourage you to make the day trip over to Lima to check out the rooms at that Audiofest. There will certainly be alot of options there including tubes and horns.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hey everybody,

It's been a long while, but I finally bought a pair of speakers. I opted to go with a pair of Martin Logan Aeon i's. I really like the sound and I think I got a good deal on them at $2600 out the door. (I hope that was a good deal.) I was concerned with how they would sound in my room with its small dimensions and layout, but I am very pleased with how they turned out. I was leaning more towards HT, but I am already thinking of which CDs I need to go out and buy and listen to. What a difference of sound from my Cerwin-Vega's. (Better be for the price difference.)

So, what do you think of my choice? Did I do good? I know I enjoy them, but I am upgrading from a cheaper speaker, so I think anything may sound better to me. What do I know?

Also, to stick with the original intent of my thread, do you have suggestions of what speakers would be a good match for the rear surrounds? I cannot have floor standing speakers, so another pair of ML's is out. The Clarities would make nice surrounds to match if I had the room.

Any suggestions and/or your feedback on my purchase would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks