What's new

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

• Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios

Votes: 114 71.7%

• Total voters

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If this disc is coming in seven weeks, this decision was made long before Mr. Wells and anything posted here. I kept saying it and saying it - wait for an official announcement - which, BTW, I still don't think we've really had.

Mark VH

Second Unit
haineshisway said:
If this disc is coming in seven weeks, this decision was made long before Mr. Wells and anything posted here. I kept saying it and saying it - wait for an official announcement - which, BTW, I still don't think we've really had.
The decision may have been made some time ago, but it was almost certainly after Wells started his anti-1.66 tirade. And there is no one who likes giving the man credit less than I do. This was absolutely and without question due to the effort he spearheaded. It's a shame that bullying tactics had to bring the change about, but in this case they worked, and the outcome they produced was the right one.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Bob Cashill said:
And shame on those Home Theatre Forum commenters who kept insisting that 1.66 was a proper way to go because Paramount marketing execs insisted on cropping the original film in order to deliver a faux-panoramic screen experience in first-run theatres back in the spring of 1953.
Right back at ya, Jeff. :rolleyes:

As for the disc being 1.37:1 only - well, a pity they can't release it with both ARs. I'd like to see it in 1.66:1 as it was shown in major theaters theatrically in 1953.

I may cancel my pre-order as I indicated earlier if it is 1.37:1 only, but truth be told I'll still probably pick it up since this is a situation where neither AR is wholly "wrong" or wholly "correct".

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Lou Lumenick: "While I don't agree with Jeffrey's bullying tactics -- and his dubious championing of 1:66 video releases for films shot in 1:78 as well as advocating scrubbing away film grain -- I suppose congratulations are in order. But I would still like to see Stevens Jr.'s version at some point, and even Wells has indicated he would tolerate a release with both aspect ratios."
Read more: DVD Extra Extra: 'Shane' Blu-ray now going out at 1:37 http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_extra_shane_blu_ray_now_rRRLlr9Ts3GDyA5zhGErQP#ixzz2QkhZwasQ

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Russell G said:
Well if the regular Bluray is 1:37 and not an archive release, then I'm in. I'd still prefer both versions included in one release though instead of an archive cash in.
I agree. All this hoopla would've been avoided had they included both versions from the start. Why simplify if one can complicate? ;)

This is a fair decision, though.

Stevens and Griggs did not plan or compose the film for widescreen showings. The production dates confirm this. It was cropped and released afterwards in 1.66 simply because the studio thought it'd get more money that way. We all know that. The wide version could've been included as a historic reference, though.

It pains me to wirte this, but Wells, in this case, deserves to be thanked.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
Odd isn't it; would they have done this without Jeffrey Wells yammering in their ears (his initial piece inspired my own small yammering...), and enlisting the support of various luminaries?

But why do I get the rather unsettling feeling that I've supped with the devil? I expect I'm not alone...
Mr. Wells might not agree, but I think the constant discussion of the aspect ratio conflict here and other boards probably helped Warner in rethinking their plans. Warner reads this board daily and I'm not about to suggest it's "only" because of us that, the 1.37 version is coming out, but we've had two threads dedicated to Shane and this ratio conflict so we've kept the discussion in front of them. My congratulations to the fine work of Mr. Wells and the people he enlisted in his fight for this 1.37 release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
You might be right.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brandon Conway said:
Right back at ya, Jeff. :rolleyes:

As for the disc being 1.37:1 only - well, a pity they can't release it with both ARs. I'd like to see it in 1.66:1 as it was shown in major theaters theatrically in 1953.

I may cancel my pre-order as I indicated earlier if it is 1.37:1 only, but truth be told I'll still probably pick it up since this is a situation where neither AR is wholly "wrong" or wholly "correct".
It's probably because they don't want to change the pricepoint.

I won't cancel my preorder because I can watch this film in either ratios and hopefully the 1.37 BD version is a huge improvement over the current DVD.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
Mr. Wells might not agree, but I think the constant discussion of the aspect ratio conflict here and other boards probably helped Warner in rethinking their plans. Warner reads this board daily and I'm not about to suggest it's "only" because of us that, the 1.37 version is coming out, but we've had two threads dedicated to Shane and this ratio conflict so we've kept the discussion in front of them. My congratulations to the fine work of Mr. Wells and the people he enlisted in his fight for this 1.37 release.
The poll *must* have influenced their thinking; at least, it surely added to the weight...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
While I would have enjoyed a 1.66:1 presentation, tweaked for the best composition, at least we will be getting a version with minimal cropping. I will be able to replicate the historically-correct 1.66:1 theatrical showings using my projector's masking capabilities.

It doesn't surprise me that Warner flipped on this decision. Warner is one of the most conscientious studios out there and once this was brought to their attention, they decided that the integrity of the original composition should be protected. Paramount wouldn't have done the same.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
The poll *must* have influenced their thinking; at least, it surely added to the weight...
The poll, but I think the discussion was well done here with little of the usual emotional comments that usually sidetrack a good discussion into a name-calling exercise. People can discuss and disagree without being disrespectful and without throwing darts at studio executives. Who by the way, are human too and probably take great pride in doing the right thing besides dealing with the usual corporate politics like the rest of us that work in the corporate world.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
While I would have enjoyed a 1.66:1 presentation, tweaked for the best composition, at least we will be getting a version with minimal cropping. I will be able to replicate the historically-correct 1.66:1 theatrical showings using my projector's masking capabilities.

It doesn't surprise me that Warner flipped on this decision. Warner is one of the most conscientious studios out there and once this was brought to their attention, they decided that the integrity of the original composition should be protected. Paramount wouldn't have done the same.
Can't we just be happy that the decision was reversed without throwing darts at Paramount?

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Oh my god, so now the theatrical aspect ratio doesn't count anymore. This decision if confirmed will hurt sales. They should have issued both in one package if the poll is of any indication.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I guess no one wants to entertain the notion that in order to have this thing ready for release in seven weeks, any decisions involving packaging and ratios would have already been made - before the poll and before Mr. Wells. Please remember that Warners had not said boo about anything - not an official word out of them (still not, really - just attributions without an official announcement at this time) - I think it's nice for Mr. Wells to think he had an influence but knowing how studios and their releases work, I just don't buy it for one moment, I'm afraid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
I guess no one wants to entertain the notion that in order to have this thing ready for release in seven weeks, any decisions involving packaging and ratios would have already been made - before the poll and before Mr. Wells. Please remember that Warners had not said boo about anything - not an official word out of them (still not, really - just attributions without an official announcement at this time) - I think it's nice for Mr. Wells to think he had an influence but knowing how studios and their releases work, I just don't buy it for one moment, I'm afraid.
Maybe the poll, but in fairness to Mr. Wells, he printed his first article about the aspect ratio back on March 16th, so who knows when he contacted Warner or Stevens Jr. prior to the posting of that article. It's not like they're going to press 500K of these discs.

Frankly, at this time, it doesn't matter whom or what influence Warner to release this BD in 1.37 ratio, as the most important thing is that it's being released in 1.37.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
haineshisway said:
I disagree that changes couldn't be made this late in the game. There have been times when corrected discs have been prepared and shipped out in less than 4 weeks time.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
A quick question because my memory fails me.

How long did Universal take to make the corrections of the Hitchcock box (Frenzy titles, etc)?

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks