What's new

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

• Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios

Votes: 114 71.7%

• Total voters

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Jeffrey, I was and still am under the impression, according to George Stevens Jr., that the widescreen release was embraced by Stevens and it was definetely his choice to go wide. Sure it was because the boom of widescreen was coming, and he wanted to put bums in seat. That still was his choice that needs to be respected and preserved on home-video.

In any case, these are my two main arguments, the first that the theatrical release was 1.66:1, and that just releasing a 1.37:1 Blu-ray robs the film of it's own history and place in the zetgeist of the times, (plus robs us of the original theatrical aspect ratio presentation) ; second that as a filmmaker, the director is free to twist and adjust his film up until release, regardless his original intentions, and regardless if it's by his own artistic accord or a suggestion by the studio. The final release is the final release.

In essence the theatrical cut, including it's editing and aspect ratio and sound mix, is the historical presentation that needs to be documented on home-video, (as is usually the case). Any other extended, reframed, open matted presentation is just being a variant (like a remix of a song would even if it's the "original intended mix" that never came out) that is welcomed, because it offers the choice.

Sadly here, we will not have the historical, theatrical aspect ratio, and no choice. (Though some of us will probably play with VLC settings ;) )

Jeffrey Nelson said:
1.66:1 was NOT the director's intention. He had to reframe it because it was going out that way whether he liked it or not. You're incorrect. Granted, it'd be cool to have it included for those who don't mind visually compromised presentations of films, but if there's going to be only one version represented, the Academy Ratio version is the correct choice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it looks like Mr. Wells and friends did convince Warner to delay the BD release in order to properly prepared the 1.37 version for BD. Let's give credit when credit is due. Also, I like to think that the passionate, but respectful discussion on this forum had a little to do with bringing this issue to Warner's attention for this final resolution.
On the Blu-ray front, Warner Home Video has just announced than the Blu-ray debut of "Shane'' originally set for June has been rescheduled for Aug. 13 to accomodate it being remastered at 1:37 instead of the originally announced 1:66 aspect ratio. You can blame, or thank, Jeffrey Wells.
Read more: Lou Lumenick Reviews 'Funny Girl' and 'Hello Dolly' on Blu-ray http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_hello_barbra_nERlkAke7AFZ6RjgpcIF3H#ixzz2SGNX3yQ5

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Robert, I'm still working on it. With this recent announcement, there's no rush to get it on the website.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Crawford said:
Well, it looks like Mr. Wells and friends did convince Warner to delay the BD release in order to properly prepared the 1.37 version for BD. Let's give credit when credit is due. Also, I like to think that the passionate, but respectful discussion on this forum had a little to do with bringing this issue to Warner's attention for this final resolution.

Read more: Lou Lumenick Reviews 'Funny Girl' and 'Hello Dolly' on Blu-ray http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_hello_barbra_nERlkAke7AFZ6RjgpcIF3H#ixzz2SGNX3yQ5
Thanks for providing the link to Lou's column. I checked there this morning, so this must have been posted later and I would have missed it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i am ok with the delay, so we will be getting the original 1:37 presentation, my question concerns the 1:66 presentation, is this now going to be a dual aspect release, the fact the Stevens Jr. was working diligently to get the framing right leads me to belive the the visual for the 1:66 would be close to the best possible theatrical presentation, some how i dont see that work being done to only go to waste. if any insider has info that this is going to be presented in both aspects, think there will be some very happy people. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
dana martin said:
i am ok with the delay, so we will be getting the original 1:37 presentation, my question concerns the 1:66 presentation, is this now going to be a dual aspect release, the fact the Stevens Jr. was working diligently to get the framing right leads me to belive the the visual for the 1:66 would be close to the best possible theatrical presentation, some how i dont see that work being done to only go to waste. if any insider has info that this is going to be presented in both aspects, think there will be some very happy people. :)
By dual aspect release are you talking about having both ratios on the same release? If so, I doubt it unless Warner has changed its mind about raising slightly raising the pricepoint which is fine with me and would probably make most people around here very happy. I really would like to compare both format presentations and I mean more than just comparing a couple of scenes, but actually watching both versions in their entirety. From there, I would decide my favorite presentation and to which ratio I will watch this film again going forward.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Crawford said:
By dual aspect release are you talking about having both ratios on the same release? If so, I doubt it unless Warner has changed its mind about raising slightly raising the pricepoint which is fine with me and would probably make most people around here very happy. I really would like to compare both format presentations and I mean more than just comparing a couple of scenes, but actually watching both versions in their entirety. From there, I would decide my favorite presentation and to which ratio I will watch this film again going forward.
My feelings exactly. I have said before (and will say again) I'm more curious about the 1.66:1 since I've never seen it presented that way. Though Warners has said that the 1.66:1 will be the version used in TV broadcasts going forward, I'm not sure about that. I'm afraid I'll never get to see it that way if it's not issued on disc.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
hey i can go a raised pricepoint for a two disc dual aspect release, but really some of WB own double features only go for under $20 at B&M stores so what are we talking 6 extra dollars, bring it , i want to be able to compare myself.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I would absolutely cast my vote towards the dual release at whatever the price point. Given all that's occurred, if this film isn't a candidate for that, then nothing is. Especially considering the pedigree and the care that has apparently gone into the preparation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
We should start a campaign...
There is the poll results attached to each of this thread's pages which details exactly what you, I and others have been saying for a long time. I think Warner is well aware of our preferences for both versions on a single BD release. Can we take it even further? Perhaps, we can.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
A dual-layer disc doesn't cost that much more than a single layer, especially the higher the numbers of discs pressed.

The masters have already been made, all they need to do is encode the widescreen version. Maybe they could just add the widescreen version on BD-Live?

If Warner's too lazy, tell them I will encode the widescreen feature from the master on my own Mac Mini station with Thunderbolt and make the sound DTS-HD MA for free. I'll cover all the software costs. Just fedex me the movie on a hard drive.

All I will ask is two final discs in return ;)

PS: we need liner notes by Bob Furmanek.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HDvision said:
A dual-layer disc doesn't cost that much more than a single layer, especially the higher the numbers of discs pressed.

The masters have already been made, all they need to do is encode the widescreen version. Maybe they could just add the widescreen version on BD-Live?

If Warner's too lazy, tell them I will encode the widescreen feature from the master on my own Mac Mini station with Thunderbolt and make the sound DTS-HD MA for free. I'll cover all the software costs. Just fedex me the movie on a hard drive.

All I will ask is two final discs in return ;)

PS: we need liner notes by Bob Furmanek.
I bet you the 1.66 version is already encoded for BD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon is finally showing the release date of Shane as August 13th. Also, indicated is a commentary by Stevens Jr. and Ivan Moffat, both of whom were part of the production staff for Shane.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
Amazon is finally showing the release date of Shane as August 13th. Also, indicated is a commentary by Stevens Jr. and Ivan Moffat, both of whom were part of the production staff for Shane.
That will be a straight port of the same commentary for the DVD I take it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
That will be a straight port of the same commentary for the DVD I take it.
I usually don't listen to the commentaries due to time constraints, so I'll do so this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks