What's new

Which albums and players will push you into high rez? (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

It's the nature of encryption that requires buffering and reclocking.

You have a decorrelated signal (encrypted) that scrambles everything including any timing information that might be present in the datastream.

Whether it's a $500 receiver or a very expensive processor, all who are using encrypted digital channels will require this type of architecture.

Beneficiaries? Consumers.

Regards,

gregD

Second Unit
There won't be any hi-res in this house until there are digital interfaces, foolproof universal players with separate paths for DVD-A and DSD, and pre-pro's that handle bass management and time alignment separately for DVD-A and SACD.

And even then I want to see substantial if not complete catalogs of:
Beatles
Zappa
King Crimson
Jeff Beck
Miles Davis (10 ain't enough)
Led Zep
Bowie
Hendrix
Peter Gabriel
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Talking Heads

And by all means, start recording NEW music on these formats... only then will the full potential be realized.

Guy Robinson

Agent
I can play both DVD-A and SACD. I have always been an early adopter. I had my first CD player in 1982 when they first came out and have had around 10 players since then. My first DVD-A player was a JVC followed by a Panasonic RP82. I started in DVD-A around 9 months ago. Before that I was buying DVD-A discs and playing the DTS/Dolby layers. When I got to about 20 titles I figured it was time to get an actual DVD-A player and experience high-rez. About 3 months ago when the Stones came out and Dark Side was announced on SACD I decided to get into SACD as well. I bought a Pioneer 45a and jettisoned the RP82. The DVD-A is better than either of my previous players and the SACD in the last few weeks has started to sound phenomenal as well. This unit needed more breaking in than others that I have had but it is awesome now on everything. I now have around 70 SACD and DVD-A discs. I do not plan on buying anymore CD's or even stereo only SACD's. I am cutting my losses now. It's multi-channel exclusively now. You just can't get that immersive feeling with stereo and CD's are definately inferior and are missing detail. Anyone want to buy 600 or so CD's? I feel that the Pioneer 45a is pretty well perfect except that it doesn't have distance compensation for SACD. However, I think that most SACD's are actually mastered with this in mind as very few have an issue with the surrounds being too prominent. You just have to get the rears the same distance as the fronts to the listening position. Also, it helps to have full range speakers all around so bass-management even though provided in the player for all formats is used sparingly. Lastly I only use my volume control on the receiver remote. Everything goes through the decoders in the player and out the Analog multichannel output from the player to the receiver. You can sit on the fence forever but life is short and if you really love music produced the best way that it currently can be played you have to take the plunge. To me the digital interface for SACD/DVD-A is a moot point. I wouldn't want to alter the output from the player anyway. Receiver Volume and sub-woofer volume. That's all you need.

Ron Economos

Auditioning
It's the nature of encryption that requires
buffering and reclocking.

You have a decorrelated signal (encrypted) that scrambles
everything including any timing information that might be
present in the datastream.
The M6 cipher used with 5C/DTCP encryption on IEEE1394
is a 1 for 1 cipher. That is, you put in 256 bits (or
any multiple of 64 bits for 1394 audio) and you get
256 bits out. No reclocking required.

Ron

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
the high-res IC makers all seem to be designing their DACs to reduce the effects of jitter
True, but it remains to be seen how low in jitter they go. If it is below 20 ps (currently considered the range of audibility) then good, otherwise we still have room for improvement. Even our Alessis which is very well designed had 200ps.

:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see what format this one winds up on, but I welcome any hi-rez release. I think many of the masters are in good shape overall.
Unfortunately, those in charge of the releases make bad decisions and what we buy often doesn't sound a hell of a lot like the masters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks