What's new

Which actors or actresses should stop making movies? (1 Viewer)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Adam Sandler is a huge turn-off for me. But I also really dislike (except for one case where he was "okay,") Tom Hanks. Something about him just... eugh! ("Okay" was Apollo XIII, where he sort of fit.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am surprised nobody mentioned Nicholas Cage.

There's a guy whose career ended years ago.

Can't believe the stuff he is doing these days.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I am surprised nobody mentioned Nicholas Cage.

There's a guy whose career ended years ago.

Can't believe the stuff he is doing these days.

Generally, actors win an Oscar and become somewhat more discriminating in the roles they choose. Nicolas Cage won an Oscar and then seemingly decided to do as many bad movies as he could find. In his defense, I think he loves B-grade movies and enjoys doing those kind of movies but he's made some odd (read: bad) choices since winning the Oscar 15 years ago.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Cage has gotten a second wind, I'd say somewhere around THE WICKER MAN, from hipsters who have elevated him for his total lack of self-consciousness and willingness to play bat-shit insane, no matter the quality of the material. He also had tax problems, so that might have led him into doing anything that came across his desk.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The actors I hate are the ones who seemed to have gotten the big push in Hollywood for no good reason, and have proven to be crap in the films. So I present:

Shia Labeouf - He's been the same, one-note, mediocre panicked guy in every film I've seen of him. (I've not seen Wallstreet 2, I hear he's terrible in it.) "Disturbia" was a mediocre "Rear Window" remake that launched him in to the mega-hit stratosphere of "Transformers" and "Indiana Jones". So he's considered box office and seems to continue to infect way to many films with his horrid performances. Let's face it, Transformers and Indiana Jones were critic proof, people were going to see these movies. No one praised LaBeouf for his performances, hell, Lebeouf even admitted he was crap! No one has ever uttered the words "I can't wait to see what Shia Labeouf is going to do next. Hollywood, FIRE THIS MAN! (Plus his name makes my spell check go crazy, this fact should of been enough of a red flag to know that he should never of gotten the big push.)

Sam Worthington - The same as Labeouf. He came out of nowhere, starred in a guaranteed success that is Terminator whatever it was and Avatar, and now seems to be another go to star. "Clash Of The Titans" should of proved he can't carry a film since it did poorly with critics and audiences. So what does Hollywood do? THEY MAKE A SEQUEL? And keep Sam in the lead? "Just kidding guys! We know we know, that 3D Clash Of The Titans was shit, we're going to do it right this time. Seriously! You can trust us! So prebuy your tickets ok? Please?"

Yup, fire these two!

I agree with Seth Rogan. The only film of his I liked was "Observe and Report". It was also the only film he's made where he isn't a giggling pot head. His voice work is probably going to keep me away from "Paul" despite the appeal of Pegg and Frost.

You hear that Hollywood? Lebeouf and his weird name, Worthington and his face and Rogan and his giggles are keeping me away fro the movies! FIRE THEM!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G

You hear that Hollywood? Lebeouf and his weird name, Worthington and his face and Rogan and his giggles are keeping me away fro the movies! FIRE THEM!

And those three draw millions into theaters every year so the chances of Hollywood "firing" them are about as good as me having a threesome with Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johansson.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sean Penn is the only actor who I'm sick of hearing espouse his viewpoints. Eventhough I generally agree with him, I still want to scream "Shut up, Spicoli!" since he's a fairly constant stream of complaints about x, y or z.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While I don't click on the "Sean Penn is mad about..." headlines, I still see the headline. And for the record, I think Sean Penn is an amazingly talented actor and not liking him constantly voicing his opinion (which is different than disagreeing with the opinion) hasn't changed my view of his wonderful work.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by TravisR )

Ironically, I'm writing a review of a film with Sean Penn film right now, and it's precisely the kind of film where one's evaluation of the work will almost certainly depend on the ideological lens through which one views it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben )

Considering what I've already said in this thread, it makes me a hypocrite but I've never really understood the celebrities-should-shut-up mentality either. Everyone has political opinions and alot of people share them amongst friends, at work, on social networking sites, message boards, talk radio, whatever. Just because a person is a celebrity and has a bigger stage to share their views doesn't mean that they should silence their opinions. Being a celebrity doesn't mean that they're right but it doesn't mean they're wrong either.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Huh.....tastes differ I suppose as I rather like Jack Black. I agree that he was fairly miscast in King Kong but that didn't stop me from liking the movie.

Hmm..............I suppose Sarah Jessica Parker could fall off the face of the filmmaking earth and I wouldn't mind, same goes for Adrian Brody and Nick Cage's self absorbed behinds.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Generally, if I don't like someone's acting then I just don't watch their movies; however, I wouldn't presume to state that they should stop making movies. And the fact is that even actors I think aren't very good, (*cough* Kevin Costner *cough*) do sometimes put out work that isn't that bad. For example, I thought he did a good job in The Guardian, so I never automatically write off an actor. Every once in a while a supposed 'dog' can surprise.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben )

I don't think there are enough loudmouthed right-wing celebrities in Hollywood to get annoying! :) Aside from maybe Voight, not too many of them are particularly outspoken about political issues.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
but I've never really understood the celebrities-should-shut-up mentality either. Everyone has political opinions and alot of people share them amongst friends, at work, on social networking sites, message boards, talk radio, whatever. Just because a person is a celebrity and has a bigger stage to share their views doesn't mean that they should silence their opinions. Being a celebrity doesn't mean that they're right but it doesn't mean they're wrong either.
I think, at least for me, there is just a certain smugness that goes along with it which becomes irritating. It's not necessairly the voicing of the opinion that is annoying, it's more the making a point of voicing the opinion that's annoying, especially in a forum where political expression isn't necessarily warranted. And there are also some who are blatantly insulting and disrespectful to the other side as well with the "We're more enlightened than you, we know what's best" air to it all. Also I think people might resent some of the attitudes considering many of these celebrities do not live the same kind of life that regular people do (and there are some who live extremely hedonistic lifestles as well) like a "what do you know about how people really live" kind of thing. I think it's understandable for people to feel this way. There is also hypocrasy as well. Consider, many of these "loudmouth" celebrities will spout off about what should be done, or what the world needs, or whatever, but would also be honored to have the opportunity to work with a child rapist.

Of course, it's not everyone, I've seen celebrities talk politics is appropriate forums and be perfectly reasonable about it (even if I don't agree with what they are saying).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by WillG

And there are also some who are blatantly insulting and disrespectful to the other side as well with the "We're more enlightened than you, we know what's best" air to it all.

That quality isn't limited to celebrities. You can find it anywhere on the internet, including here (plus lots of other places that would be inappropriate to mention under the HTF Rules).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks