What's new

Which <$2,000 projector is best? (1 Viewer)

Russell Volz

Agent
My family and I have not watched TV in 22 years and have no interest in doing so, but we do greatly enjoy watching 3-4 DVD movies each week. After walking through Costco each week and drooling over the new "big" sets, I'm bent on cashing in my 1990 32" Panasonic for something bigger and definitely sharper!

Unfortunately, a 32" TV is all that will fit in my built in wall unit, which I'm not going to replace. So, that leaves me with purchasing a projector. My question is which projector? As one bright person said in response to my earlier questions, "what's it worth to me?"

I'm willing to pay up to $2,000 for a projector, $350 for a home-theater-in-a-box system, and make my own screen. I already have good advise on the screen and I'm willing to buy something cheap at Costco for the home-theater-in-a-box.

My primary concern is the projector. There's so many options out there, I'm at a loss where to start. All I'm certain of is having something for DVD's in a less than perfectly dark room, and it must be quiet, since the usable part of the room is only 12x12. The throw distance to the screen will be about 10-11' and we'll be siting 8-9' from the screen.

So, what projector do you recommend?

Thankfully,

Russell Volz

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You might want to check out Projector Central to get a feel for what is available. The Epson PowerLite Home 10 got a solid
review and is priced at $1,299.00. Bill Cushman reviewed this projector for an upcoming issue of Widescreen Review and was pretty enthusiastic about this projector as a good starter projector for folks who wish to move to an FP without spending a ton of money. My current, older FP is starting to act up, and I'm seriously considering this model myself.

- Walter.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I would venture to say the Panasonic 500 will be the best ~$2k FPTV when it's released, if not already. This based on the things I've read, mostly at projectorcentral.com.

edit- Here's a nice breakdown of choice projectors in different price ranges.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Panny 500 looks like a good bet. The Sanyo Z2 is a contender and for a few more dollars, the Sony HS20 is up there.

In your price range, the Panny L500 Or the Sanyo Z2. I've been in your same boat. Check Projector Central's shoot out between them to see which would suit your situation.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
seems a lot ppl are in this boat. I'm patiently waiting for the Panasonic myself

Anyone care to post a link with some information on this forthcoming Panasonic 500? I could be missing something but I don't see it Projector Central yet (is it "Panasonic" or "Panasonic Home"?).

Sounds interesting...

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Since you are not interested in TV (like myself) the Panasonic 300 is probably your best bet. And with the 500 just being released you should be able to get a 300 for under $1500.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dude,

No T.V. for twenty two years? Let's see...that means you have no idea what Friends or Seinfeld is. Wait a minute...you haven't watched anything since 1982! Holy crap...that means you've never seen Hill Street Blues or Cheers or The A-Team !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha haaaa ahaa ahahhahahhahahha a haaahhah ahha aaah ahahah aha aha a ah ahahahha hahaaaaa. Man, that hurt my stomach laughing so hard. I'd get the Panasonic.

FWIW, I'll be able to say the same thing in about 15 more years myself. Some people just get tired of TV, or it just falls under the "Sure, I'm willing to pay monthly for that" radar at some point.

My wife and I enjoy certain shows, but we like them commercial free and on demand so we watch them on DVD usually via Netflix. Sure, we could use a PVR but then you have to pay for both the PVR and the cable or DSS service. This is just slacker. :)

In the end, for some weird folks like us, it just isn't worth the effort.

I've always preferred film anyway.

Paul Defris

Auditioning
My personal recomendation is the sanyo Z2. I used an epson S1 from a big box place until my sanyo came in. I was impressed with the epson for the price ($850)and not sure I would see a $1,000 differance. The Z2 is here and I'm very happy to say it's worth every penny. I can actually be as close as 8' to a 106" screen and it looks great.

Russell Volz

Agent
Yah, 22 years ago I was a newlywed. One day I came home from a hard day of work and sat down with my bowl of ice cream to watch the tube, but there was no tube. Just a blank wall. I yelled, "Someone stole our TV!" My wife calmly said, "No, last night you were so busy with that darn TV, that you didn't even notice my new negligee. So I sold the TV!"

Well, being 26 years old at the time and a TV being more important than my interested wife, what could I say. So, here we are 22 years later and the TV's still gone, but the wife, I'm happy to say, is still here and still happy!

BTW who's Signfield?

Russell

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
oh you're kidding. you're literally 1 in a million in the US if that's true. I imagine you doing a Barney from the Simpsons transformation once you get your TV. You'll instantly become fat and smelly. ;)

Kevin M.

Auditioning
2004-1990=22yrs,did you use the metric system to do the math or is there a leap year or 8 to make up the diff. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks