What's new

Where's "Battle of the Network Stars"?? (1 Viewer)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I used to watch every episode of this series. But it's so campy and of dubious taste that I'm just not sure there is a big enough audience for it to be released.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yep. I SO remember this show. I think I saw just about every episode of it in the 70s. Does anyone remember the one where Marcia Wallace was trying to dunk Dan Haggerty? There sat Grizzly Adams in the dunk tank and he started working his ab muscles in a funny way and poor Marcia tured beat red. Hilarious. Yep. I'd buy this on DVD in a heartbeat.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

If Lady & Jeff(or whatever it was called) can get released. I am sure this could be too. Don't underestimated the nostalgia factor for this show.

Claude North

Second Unit
OMG!!!!!!

I absolutely LOVED this show! Does anyone remember the magic moment when ABC was in third place in the relay and Jaclyn Smith came up from behind and won the event? Or the time Billy Crystal got tripped up during the obstacle course and fell flat on his face? Or Robert Conrad's striptease on the way to the dunk tank (proving that this wasn't just a T & A show)?

This show was just too, too dreamy for words, especially for a kid growing up in the 1970s. I mean, Farrah Fawcett participated! Can you imagine today's equivalent (in terms of star power) doing a show like this? Or, going back to the '90s, the casts of FRIENDS, SEINFELD, or FRASIER? Everyone is far too image-conscious to be seen competing in athletic events.

(Actually, I wonder if the stars really wanted to do those shows, or if they were "strongly encouraged" by the networks to be there.)

At the very least, I'd rent these if they were released on DVD, provided they went back to the first year.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Pink Lady and Jeff, Pink Lady being the name of a popular (in Japan) signing duo who spoke little or no English and Jeff being hapless comedian Jeff Altman - who has probably never lived doing this show down. :) (The late Jim "Hey Vern" Varney also starred) The show seems to have lasted all of five episodes in 1980 - at least that's all that aired. This this got released on DVD? I'm stunned. :D

Regards,

Joe

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The stars probably did these shows on the condition they never be re-syndicated or re-released in any other format.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Well a couple of years ago it aired on the Trio channel. So syndication is possible.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Such fond memories (or in the case of Lynda Carter, mammaries!):

Gabe Kaplan making Robert Conrad look like a fool on the track, Penny Marshall proving herself to be the best jock ABC had, the commentary from the likes of Howard Cosell and Telly Savalas, and a then-unknown David Letterman proving that he was better on dry land than in a kayak!

One thing, though- I always wished that there had been a Battle of the Daytime Stars- imagine Susan Lucci, Genie Francis, and Deidre Hall in swim suits while Tony Geary ran the obstacle course!

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe they can do a best of ... like they're doing with Match Game. 30 shows from a 10 year period.

Gord, get on it!

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I don't event think their are 30 shows. I believe it ran once a year for maybe 10-12 years.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
This is a show I would love to own along with Circus of the Stars but do they have to get permission from all the stars involved?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I remember when they ran a few Battles on Trio, the host said that it was a very expensive broadcasting fee.

There were only 19 of them. Go on wikipedia to get the big details.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Just stumbled across an episode of this being broadcast on ESPN Classic tonight. I don't know if it's a one-shot or if they'll run every competition - but I set the DVR just in case.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
nikkif99uk said:
This is a show I would love to own along with Circus of the Stars but do they have to get permission from all the stars involved?
Yes, which is why it will never come out. They almost got sued for the Trio reruns because they didn't go to everyone to get them to sign off on it. A DVD release is unfortunately impossible.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Neil Brock said:
Yes, which is why it will never come out. They almost got sued for the Trio reruns because they didn't go to everyone to get them to sign off on it. A DVD release is unfortunately impossible.
which is pretty ironic since they can be seen on youtube for free. it's frustrating for fans who are happy to pay big bucks for the real thing.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
What I can't figure out is why would Trio acquire reruns without the approval of the original celebrity participants. When the Game Show Network was established in 1994 (back when it was actually a good channel), they made sure to go to all of the celebrities or estates for their approval on game show clearances. They even showed most of the Holly Hallstrom episodes of the current version of The Price is Right which sadly, thanks to Barker, have not been seen since then.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
They kind of did a deal and hoped for the best as far as anyone finding out and going after them. Not many people got Trio. It had pretty limited distribution and IMG hoped they would be under the radar.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Neil Brock said:
They kind of did a deal and hoped for the best as far as anyone finding out and going after them. Not many people got Trio. It had pretty limited distribution and IMG hoped they would be under the radar.
Do you know what's the story with ESPN Classic running them now? I'm assuming that they are more likely to get noticed than Trio was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks