What's new

Where to buy new power outlets? (1 Viewer)

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
For a dedicated theater room, will your normal run of the mill Lowes/Home Depot outlets work, or is it best to buy outlets of a higher grade? Ive only got 4 outlets in the room, so i dont mind spending a little bit more than the .50 cent ones at the local Lowes.

If it is better to buy different ones, where can i get them?

Thanks
Jason

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Solid connections and grounding should be all you're looking for and that should be doable with the cheapest of outlets. I've replaced a lot of them in my house because plugs just don't fit tightly, but as long as they're UL approved, I can't see an outlet making any difference.

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the reply paul. I will have all new electric in the room (separate 20A circuit) and just wanted to double check.

Thanks!
Jason

chris_everett

Second Unit
Lowes (at least here) has two grades of "basic" outlets. I always buy the more expensive one, as the cheap ones seem to lose their "grip" on plugs over time.

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
Go to an electrical supply house (most sell to cash customers)and ask them for "SPEC" grade outlets. These are the better ones.

Check HD and Lowes again I'm pretty sure I've purchased them there before.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering if any of you know where or if there is such a thing as a "Shallow" junction box? I was trying to get away from 2x4 walls where a "new" wall was not necessary such as a outside concrete wall in my basement and was looking for a box to fix 1x3 or 2x2's not much luck finding such a critter.

RickRo

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, Lowes and HD sell spec-grade outlets.

Jay, in between the spec and residential grade outlets are commercial grade. They typically cost a couple of bucks apiece. Basically, any of the higher priced outlets you see at the stores will be better than the 50c ones.

Rick,

I think I have seen some shallow boxes from time to time. However, the problem you’re going to have is that there won’t be room behind the outlet for the excess wire, especially if you connect the outlets daisy-chained (a wire in, and a wire out). You’d pretty much have to home-run each outlet to even have a chance of it working. You might be able to cheat by using open-backed boxes designed for low-voltage, but you’ll run into code problems there.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Home Depot often has ~1" deep blue plastic boxes. They're very nice for use, but they're a major pain in the [neck] to actually do any work in.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks