Where to buy blackout fabric?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by chris rick, Mar 27, 2004.

1. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

I have another thread up in this forum about my diy screen, and I am wondering where to get blackout material at. I've heard Jo-Ann Fabrics...anyone have a link to blackout fabric or an item number/sku to find it on their website or in store? Roughly how much would enough blackout fabric cost me to make a 96-100 inch screen? Thanks!

2. Todd Shore

Todd Shore Stunt Coordinator

It has been a while since I bought any (3 years) and at that time they didn't have it online. I don't know if they have it available online now or not.

I paid between $7 and $8 a yard for it. If you have a store near you, ask for DRAPERY blackout fabric. It is a white woven fabric that is rubberized (not really rubber, maybe vinyl) on one side. ASK. As a guy you'll probably be tempted to browse until you find it and you'll probably never find it.

3. Todd Shore

This might be it.

4. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

I think it would be somewhat difficult for you to make a 100 inch screen from the material b/c it is 54 inches in height. I am sure you could do 96, but 100 may be pushing it. Cost is about 6 bucks a yard.

5. Todd Shore

The fabric has some stretch to it, but if you wrap around a frame that will use up what you gain with apprimately 54" being the net result.

My own screen is 96" X 54".

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If you go to the actual store, and ask the clerk they'll know what you're talkin about...

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep, JoAnn will know what you mean (if you mention material to line drapes, they will really know-- but it is common and easy to find).

As was mentioned, it comes on 54 inch bolt-- so you won't be able to do anything taller than about 53-54... unless you check into custom order bolt- but I'd uess you'd have to buy a whole bolt, probably as much as a stewart screen.

-Vince

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    For the ultra-wide blackout curtain, check with a theater supply store. My local store had cloth up to 72" in width. However, I ended up purchasing the 54" stuff at JoAnn's due to cost and screen size.