What's new

Where the heck do I buy curtains? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I need some curtains for my living room and bedroom windows. Where do I go? I went to Ross and Target. What a pitiful and pathetic selection. I want something black or dark blue, thick (no blinds) and small. All these stores had was peachy, white or beige, they were all paper-thin and ran the length of a wall. What are some good curtain stores?

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Go back to Target, they have some thicker material curtains there. They work reasonably well. Also, Sears have some, places like Linens'N'things have some, etc.

Otherwise, go get some material at a store, learn to sew, and crank up that sewing machine. Or get your mom or your girlfriend to help. Maybe you can pin it and she sews it - that worked for us. Get over the "manly" business thinking about how much you save by doing it yourself vs. having them done. That gets EXPENSIVE (I ain't kidding, figure on several hundred dollars to several thousands dollars depending on size and quantity).

Most basic curtain is 5 straight seams, plus rod and a couple brackets... Not exactly the most difficult job in the world...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
JC Penney's has curtains also, and in a wide selection. They may not be in stock, just look in the catalog and they can be ordered. They may even be online.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
If you would like a "ghetto" approach, get some large bristle-board sheets and put them up to the windows. They block the light perfectly for movies and gaming, and come down pretty easily during daylight hours.

My girlfriend shakes her head in disbelief and shame every time she walks through my HT / computer room.

I'll be damned if I knew where, nor wanted to, go and buy curtains :laugh:

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
There's always the option of putting foil on the windows ;)

Seriously though, department stores have a decent selection if you don't wish to make your own.

As a wife who has no inclination to make my own I find the supposed "manly" method of buying them the best option.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I found some great fabric at a Antique Store. Very thick ..I could have a spotlight outside and wouldn't know it
Cheaper than drapes & better

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
There's always Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have a pretty decent selection of curtains.

TerryS

Agent
AmericanDecorating.com. I did all the mini blinds in my house from here. My vertical blind arrived damaged and they immediately shipped a replacement with no questions asked.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Look for a store that specializes in curtain and draperies. I can guarantee you that there are quite a few in Austin - start with the Yellow Pages and go from there.

I found the fabric for my theater curtain at a curtain/drapery store in the tiny town of Amherst, NH (less than 10,000 people) and they had a HUGE selection of fabrics. I would bet there are over a dozen such stores in Austin.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks