What's new

Where on winisd do i check for xmax? (1 Viewer)

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings all, I am using winisd pro and have designed a 140L enclosure for a shiva driver tuned to 20hz,(box is already completed,just waiting for driver). I think i understand alot about the software,but how do i check to see if a driver is close to xmax in a certain alignment(140L,shiva)?
It will be powered by a 2ch stereo amp 200wpc and 300wpc 4ohm load.i will be wiring the driver in parallel so it will be 300w going to the driver.could someone explain how much power it will take to pass the xmax on the shiva driver in this size box(140L)and at what frequencies?

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Cone excursion. WinIsd uses point to point, so if your driver has a 1 way Xmax of 15mm, look for where the excursion graph shows 30mm.

Pete

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I'm just using the standard version, and I haven't played around with WinISD as much as LspCAD, but I've never seen the plot for cone excursion.

??

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
I played with winisdpro and check the cone excursion for my enclosure and got 2.043mm at 30hz,thats the highest peak between 20hz-50hz and 2.043mm at 17hz.it just keeps getting higher when you go below 17hz.so i am basically getting the same reading at 17hz and 30hz.what do these numbers say? at 17hz and 30hz my shiva will most likely bottom out at high volumes?:frowning:

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Looks like the Cone Excursion shows one way Xmax now.

Click on the signal tab and under System Input Power, enter, in your case 300W. The CE graph should now show overexcursion at just above and below tuning. Entering 225W into Input Power would run it to full excursion....theoretically.

Pete

michael-e

Agent
Dont forget,you dont HAVE to use every mm of excursion as every mm you go,will be more distortion.

Also the suspension will be less linear moving further.

thats if your looking for low distortion..for HT its not so critical

:)

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Dont forget,you dont HAVE to use every mm of excursion as every mm you go,will be more distortion.
Not when they are looking at Xmax which is LINEAR movement.
By definition it is inaudible distortion.
Which includes the lesser of Xsus (suspension distortion) and Xmag.

michael-e

Agent
Hold up
Woofers seem to distort differently even with similar xmaxes''

Xmax is the smaller of Xmag and Xsus,
and that is where its 70% of BL or
70% of suspension linearity

that speaks NOTHING directly, of what the speaker distortion output is!

look at mfk-projects.com
the woofers are all at the same conditions,and distort differently yet no where near xmax(i think)

Non linear suspension will be worrying below Fs(eg below Fcb in sealed boxes)

i would love to test similar speakers like that,id make sure the output DbA was constant rather than constant Vin ...

i may not be right but its just my opinion...
Cheers!:frowning:

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
Click on the signal tab and under System Input Power, enter, in your case 300W. The CE graph should now show overexcursion at just above and below tuning. Entering 225W into Input Power would run it to full excursion....theoretically.
I was just about to try it but i couldn't see the signal tab ??

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
back with some numbers:

at 30hz,winisdpro gives me a reading of 35mm which is the highest point on the graph between 20hz-50hz,30hz being the peak .and i am getting the same reading at 17hz(35mm)after 17hz it just keeps going higher and higher,no worry though, for i am not really interested in frequencies under 17hz.keep in mind that i built a 140L 80/20(HT/music)tuned to 20hz using one 4" flared port,will be using the shiva and throwing 300watts at it.
tell me if i got this right.at the frequencies 30hz and 17hz the driver will be passing it's xmax and with enough power i can bottom out my driver? should i worry if my driver reaches 35mm

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
thats if your looking for low distortion..for HT its not so critical
This is where I didn't agree with you because you say we can be critical about distortion within Xmax concerning subwoofers. It seems that you implied we could detect the nonlinearities or distortion. I still am very skeptical concerning this. That's my opinion. Our ears become less and less accurate as the frequency goes lower and it becomes nonlinear.

I'd appreciate it some else who has more knowledge about the human ear and distortion could comment.

michael-e

Agent
point 1
if xmax directly was related to THD,then why is it defined by % of BL or kms not THD @ mm excursion...

Does 70% BL on one woofer, and 70% BL on another,have equal THD at that point/??

point 2

www.linkwitzlab.com
'thor' subwoofer
see his measurements on the subwoofer he made and distortion requirements

I think that THD

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Point 1
The reason i dont want high distortion, is if the 2nd and 3hd harmonics are equal in sound perception as the fundamental 20hz for example, WHAT exactly are we listening to?
Then we are listening to both the 2nd and 3rd harmonic frequency as well as the 20hz fundamental. :D

I assume your talking about this. "The importance of low distortion at very low frequencies can be deduced from the equal loudness contours. The threshold of hearing is around 70 dB SPL at 20 Hz. This is at the level of normal conversation. With increasing frequency the threshold drops rapidly. The loudness contours have an initial slope of 80 dB/dec, or 24 dB/oct, at low perceived volume levels (phon).This means that if the 40 Hz 2nd harmonic of a 20 Hz tone is at a 24 dB lower level, then it will sound equally as loud as the fundamental. This corresponds to 6% 2nd harmonic distortion. The 3rd harmonic distortion would have to be below 1%, or over 38 dB down, in order that it is less loud than the 20 Hz fundamental. It all leads to very low distortion requirements. The fundamental frequency sound pressure level needs to be above 70 dB to even become audible and it should not be masked by higher frequency distortion products. "

Notice this is theory. Good theory, but think about it in an acutual application.

So I model a shiva up and put 16watts into it in a .707 Q box using Adire's version of Lspcad. Sounds pretty fair to me very little power with a staple box alignment. 20hz = 93db @ 13mm p-p. That's 93db not 70db using only 13mm of the 31.6mm available. 70 is just the threshold of hearing and many subs can do that easily. You start cranking the shiva like above in the 93db range and your perception of the 20hz is going to dominate any 2nd or 3rd harmonic.

michael-e

Agent
lol,i realised we are discussing this in this guys thread,when it doesnt really concern him,so will pursue this discussion with PMs rather than thread-hog.

Cheers Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks