What's new

where is WESTERN UNION (Fox, 1941) ? (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
WesternUnion1941-Fox-oneA.jpg

WesternUnion1941-Fox-oneB.jpg

What's the hold up?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good luck with that title as I had to order another region SD-DVD to get it on just DVD.

Crawdaddy

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
So did I, from the U.K. The picture is fine, but the playback is high-pitched and shrill and kinetic at the 4% PAL speed-up.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sometimes the PAL speedup is unnoticeable on a film; sometimes it's a deal breaker. The worst one I have encountered is Delmer Daves' Cowboy. I bought the R2 disc to get the proper OAR; but Glenn Ford sounds like a chipmunk due to the speedup.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
What could possibly be holding this title up? Are the elements in bad condition? Is there a rights problem?
This seems like a no-brainer having starred Randolph Scott and directed by Fritz Lang. Fox has released dozens of titles that are not as significant as this one. :confused:
....not to mention Zane Grey who is still in demand as his books are still in print and available in E-book formats.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Eric Peterson said:
What could possibly be holding this title up? Are the elements in bad condition? Is there a rights problem?
Fox has released dozens of titles that are not as significant as this one. :confused:
....not to mention Zane Grey who is still in demand as his books are still in print and available in E-book formats.
Fox has also failed to release dozens of films that are more significant than this one. As, I guess, it was based on a book, there may well be a rights issue. Lionsgate released a Zane Grey series of DVDs. Otherwise, write Twilight Time or hope Fox goes MOD or partners with TCM.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
jdee28 said:
I'd much prefer to see a FOX MOD program over Twilight Time.
MOD Blu-rays are not available yet, so this doesn't help me, since I don't want any more DVD's unless the title just will never come out on Blu-ray at all,
For my purposes, TT with a standard Blu-ray disk is far preferable to an MOD DVD. But I can understand the other point of view.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
jdee28 said:
I'd much prefer to see a FOX MOD program over Twilight Time.
I find myself stepping back from Twilight Time. Love what they do, love the titles they select, but they are overpriced.
Olive or Legend would price Western Union about 15 dollars less and it would be every bit as good a transfer.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Twilight Time is our only shot at this for a R1 release, however they will likely pass it up if Fox does not have an HD transfer of it. Also Twilight Time tend to favor post-1950 releases.
But I do agree that Fox needs another home video distribution method for its older or more obscure classics. MOD, TCM exclusives, something. Twilight Time is great, but they can only do so much for the neglected Fox library.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Billy Batson said:
Shrill & kinetic, & like a chipmunk...it's only a 4% speedup!
Maybe Cowboy was one of those titles that's already "compressed for time"; and the speedup made it worse.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Are you sure about that? Because Western Union is available for HD streaming though Amazon Instant Video, ITunes, and Vudu. However I have no idea if it's real HD or just an upconversion.
JoHud said:
Twilight Time is our only shot at this for a R1 release, however they will likely pass it up if Fox does not have an HD transfer of it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
No, just saying if it isn't HD, TT won't release it. Don't know myself. The HD Amazon stream is encouraging, though you're right in that it might not be true HD. Twilight Time might be swayed on this title due to Fritz Lang's involvement, since they most likely released Swamp Water because Renoir directed it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just watched the Blu-ray that I imported from Germany. It is very nice. It's got that sumptuous 1940s Technicolor look. I highly recommend the disc and it DOES play in Region A!
67450_front.jpg
Snapshot-2013-09-05 at 05_13_48 PM-2104575745.jpg
Snapshot-2013-09-05 at 05_14_53 PM-401396478.jpg
Snapshot-2013-09-05 at 05_16_37 PM-1024470519.jpg

Note: The screencaps are highly compressed, but may still give you an idea of the image quality.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Mark-P said:
I just watched the Blu-ray that I imported from Germany. It is very nice. It's got that sumptuous 1940s Technicolor look. I highly recommend the disc and it DOES play in Region A!
attachicon.gif
67450_front.jpg
attachicon.gif
Snapshot-2013-09-05 at 05_13_48 PM-2104575745.jpg
attachicon.gif
Snapshot-2013-09-05 at 05_14_53 PM-401396478.jpg
attachicon.gif
Snapshot-2013-09-05 at 05_16_37 PM-1024470519.jpg
Note: The screencaps are highly compressed, but may still give you an idea of the image quality.
I have it and agree with you that it is very good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Fox issued it on MOD DVD-R in June. It's the next MOD in a stack of those Fox sent me for review (as soon as more current Blu-ray releases are finished).

With Fox issuing it on MOD here, I'm not hopeful a Blu-ray will be released by them here any time soon. But I guess anything is possible.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My review for the DVD-R can be found here.

The video quality was among the best I've ever seen for a MOD, so I'm guessing there was a high quality transfer available for them to draw on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
My review for the DVD-R can be found here.

The video quality was among the best I've ever seen for a MOD, so I'm guessing there was a high quality transfer available for them to draw on.
Unfortunately, I have the MOD too which I bought before deciding to buy this BD. I might try to do some comparisons this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks