What's new

Where is The Real Ghostbusters on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I'm really surprised this hasn't been rumored or hasn't come out yet? Does anyone know who owns this? This was one of my favourite shoiws as a kid and now that I have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on DVD this is the next big one on my list.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
This would have to be my number one cartoon want. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in this considering that JMS of B5 fame was so involved in the series, especially the first season done for ABC. DIC was one of the producers/distributors of the series, but their web site does not list this as an available property. At one point, Rhino had the show listed in a poll for animation on DVD, but I don't know if they had rights or would get rights if it did well in the poll - I think it came in behind Transformers in that poll. I think Columbia owned it, but whether they've retained ownership, I don't know.

For me, this would be an instant purchase. I've watched my tapes to death, and I've even done two issues of an RGB fanzine over the years. I know a lot of people who would put this top of their Christmas (or Channukah, or Kwaanza, or Solstice, or whatever) list.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Me three! Some execellent writing and the story editor/show runner has some familer initials.... JMS

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Columbia TriStar owns the series and at the present time (or a month ago) they have no plans to release it.

Gord

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Thanks Gord. Really? I would have thought for sure Columbia Tri Star would have released Ghostbusters if they had it. Well I can only hope some day they do.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Especially now since we're at the 20th Anniversary of the film and Columbia is rumored to be putting out a new DVD of the film. Would be a good tie in.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't think it's a rumour. Isn't it coming out in October of this year?

I'd also love to see the Ghostbusters cartoon. They used to show it on tv here, but I kept missing the show. I watched one episode and it was the halloween episode where all the ghosts are released. The next episode I saw months later was the same halloween episode. Then a few weeks after that...the same episode. At that point I stopped trying to watch it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

You said it!

The number one animated series of it's day. I hope Columbia reconsiders given the immense sales and marketing possibilities for such a collection...

I would kill to see that Boogieman episode again, that had to have been the single greatest cartoon episode of any televised series ever produced!

It would also be fun if Columbia would include some of those more-cartoony style "Slimer" shorts that they used to run on ABC in the early nineties in rerun. Even though the styles of the series clashed and the newer show was much weaker, I would still like to see 5 or 10 of these shorts included as bonus extras!

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if Columbia doesn't feel they milked this cow to death in the day, though. The merchandising was staggering - I know, I've tried to track it all down. :> The subsequent series, Extreme Ghostbusters wasn't nearly as successful, and they may interpret that as the franchise is exhausted (as opposed to the fact that most RGB fans I know consider EGB to be one of the greatest travesties in the history of animation, and refuse to even acknowledge it ever existed).

Fox Family ran the show briefly, but pulled it after only a few weeks. The show was buried on Sunday mornings and soon disappeared. I don't think the Powers that Be realize that much of the RGB fan base is older and Sunday mornings may not be an optimal timeslot for them (dealing with family to church, or Sunday-morning-sleep-in, or any host of household projects or commitments or just plain the alarm ain't on on Sunday mornings).

Based on the prices that bootlegged sets go for on eBay, I'd say this could still be a lucrative franchise if Columbia would just get the product out.

And I agree - those silly Slimer bits would make great extras. Heck, the discs could even include a tribute to Lorenzo Music, who voiced Peter Venkman the first couple of seasons. And how about an interview with Frank Welker (Ray Stanz and Slimer), the "Man of a 1000 Voices"? The show featured some of the best voice talent out there (Arsenio Hall, Dave Coulier, the fabulous Maurice LaMarche, Kath Soucie, etc.).

Sigh. C'mon Columbia - take my money, please! :>

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Must have Ghostbusters NOW. Over the years my tapes have become lost or got recorded over (thanks, mom), so my once complete set is now scattered to the 4 winds.

Of every TV show on the planet, aside from Doctor Who, this one is the Holy Grail. This is the series I would kill someone for.

Zack_H

Grip
Heh, not much to say here, other than I agree. This and Thundercats are the 2 cartoons that i want most on dvd

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
^ They look like individual compilation discs though. They're retailing for £5.09 and only have 87 minute running times. That's pretty weak...

Judging by the titles, they also feature some of the less than memorable episodes, "Adventures Of Slime 'N' Space" & "Sea Fright".

I'm not jumping on any R2 product just yet, we need proper season sets of this show in North America...

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
They sound like DVDs of the episodes previously released on VHS PAL a few years ago. I'd LOVE to get this series in full season sets - and I know a lot of other folks who would, as well, which I can't often say about shows I want.

Any region, I'll take it.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I don't understand this hesitation to make a lot of money...I'm kidding of course, I'm sure they have their reasons and no plans now doesn't mean there won't be plans later.

I'd buy this on release date maybe more than once...you know its funny I often tell people on HTF that you can't judge the internet audience for something and assume sufficient enough demand for a release but I am not kidding when I say that I know many many people that have nothing to do with internet discussions that would snap this up in a second.

Now that Alf is coming out this is at the top of my list, moreso than anything else I might have said was at the top of it previously.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Any update on this? I'd love to finally get Ghostbusters this year. I can't believe Sony is just sitting on this. There sitting on a goldmine.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
How many people would buy this, I would think quite a bit, it was such a big show in the 80s. Gord any new update on this? Sony has to realise especially wiuth all these cartoons coming out that this could be a big seller?

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
I think you might have to wait and see how sales of the Astro Boy set do. Sony's only animated box set releases so far have been comedies aimed at adults (Dilbert & The Critic). They also released the CGI Spider-Man set, but that's adult oriented as well.

Since the Ghostbusters cartoon is geared more towards kids, sales of Astro Boy may have an impact on how they view those types of properties.

I would definitely buy a Season 1 set of Real Ghostbusters though. They could do a nice 2-disc set (ala the CGI Spider-Man or what BV did for Gargoyles S1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks