What's new

Where is the low freq info in a typical soundtrack? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about the sub 20 Hz stuff. Is it typically limited to the LFE channel? Or is it in other channels too?

Does anyone know for sure?

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hi Kevin

Sub 20Hz stuff can appear in any channel...although anything below 20Hz isn't that common in most film soundtracks. Many films can have considerable bass below 30Hz in all channels, sometimes sounding lower than 25Hz. I don't have any measuring gear to monitor soundtracks so I can't tell for sure what the lowest note is hit.

I do use subwoofers per channel (Paradigm PW-2200 - I think v.2s...not the newer digital amp ones) and these subs have strong response to 22Hz...21Hz and below has some distortion with it. I know that distortion sound...there are a few films with heavy bass that have caused these woofers to shake at those low frequencies...it's not often, but I hear it when it happens.

Mike

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mike- Good info. I'm thinking of stuff like U-571, Titan A.E. (the ice fields scene :) ), etc.

You actually sort of got to why I'm asking. I have a single sub now that goes pretty darn low. I have everything I want from that guy. But I'm thinking of adding two smaller subs and leaving the original one dedicated for LFE. If I add the 2 smaller ones, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to lose any info. (The two smaller guys are estimated to hit 20 Hz with in-room extension. I've measured the big guy to 11 Hz with in-room extension.) Mostly just to try and smooth room nodes and stuff.

Hmmm.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Scott- I had that HTF thread in the back of my mind when I was thinking about this. I just read the first page, but I'll shift my questions over the that thread now. Thanks dude. :)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
No keep it going here mate, there’s plenty of techniques left for newer ideas, as this is an on going thing.

I have just got a very inspiring and new idea! Thou I think I should keep the thought with me for a while, while I investigate it’s proprieties, as it involves a lot of use of audio electronics.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The only way you are going to smooth room nodes is with room treatment, adding more subs won't do anything for you. Bass that low is omnidirectional, so there is no imaging to be gained either. The room is either capable of recreating the frequency or it isn't, and if you are getting standing waves which are cancelling out frequncies, the only solution is modifying the room itself. You do realize that the wavelength of 11Hz is roughly 103 feet.... so your room would need to be sized accordingly in order to hear it. While you may be able to feel 11Hz, what you hear are the harmonics. You might get better results with something like MaxxBass (http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=2211).

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there’s any new ways around this issue, I have one idea and that may be as impractical as looking for a home with a room length of 103 feet or over 103 feet.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Are bodies have a resonate frequency at 7Hz! If this where to me matched with equal and lethal sound pressures this will be fatal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks