What's new

Where is Robin Hood? (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
The Adventures of Robin Hood (HD-DVD) was due to be released today. Has anyone seen it? DVDEmpire says it is "currently unavailable," though Amazon continues to list it.

I don't think it can be bought in any retail store in Manhattan (and I would know about this).

What has happened? It's a similar problem to the release of The Searchers.

Whichever format "wins" this war, I think the studios need to be more careful with their announced titles and schedule.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Amazon still says mine will ship today, but the order still hasn't gone into delivery status yet(same for T3 and the CORPSE BRIDE BD).

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

DVD EMPIRE lists titles "Unavailable" when they are really out of stock. The pre-orders were probably overwhelming.

DeeF

Screenwriter
If that's true, then people should have the disks. Does anybody have it?

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'd kinda like to know if this is available yet...............before i go driving 40 miles to my nearest Best Buy!!

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I picked mine up at my local Best Buy when they opened this morning. They had 3 or 4 copies on the shelf.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Ok, I found one at Best Buy in NYC this afternoon. As to this thread --

never mind.

:)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I cancelled my Amazon order, and will be picking this and some other stuff up at BB. They're holdin' the stuff for me. :)

DeeF

Screenwriter
And now having looked at it, you're all in for an amazing experience. At 68 years old, a movie looking as good as if it were filmed yesterday, literally.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I got mine this morning at Best Buy.....

It is simply astounding.........The combination of Warner's Ultra Resolution process and the magnificence of HD-DVD make this the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen in a home viewing experience. (I do admit I'm prejudiced in favor of classics...)

If that wasn't enough, just take a gander at RABBIT HOOD in HD! Who'd ever think of BUGS BUNNY in Hi-Def!

A stunning achievement!

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison

Thanks for the "mini-mini" review :). I've been looking all over the net for reviews, and haven't found anything. Wonder why? Anyway, I've got it on order from Amazon and now I know it will be worth the wait.

DeeF

Screenwriter
A thought occurs to me, which might only be confirmed by Mr. Harris. This DVD of Robin Hood looks so amazing, far greater than most black and white movies of the era. Is it possible, because of the 3-strip Technicolor process, that Technicolor films are better preserved today? Because the negatives weren't printed a million times, but used for the matrices.

I recognize that the negatives would shrink differently, and this causes registration problems now. But with the Ultra-Resolution process of correcting for shrinkage, it does seem like this film (and others like it) look better than something like You Can't Take It With You, the Oscar-winner of 1938, which is scratchy and worn out.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Best Buy had it, Amazon lost the sale. I spent an extra $5 overall, but well worth it. I can wait 2-3 days for Amazon to get their stock on the other titles, but not this one.

The picture is incredible, and the feature set is outstanding. Love those cartoons...you can see dust particles, the resolution is so fine.

- Steve

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
I'm watching it as I type this. Oh the colors, my eyes my eyes lol. :)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Quite simply - these aren't being sent in advance, and in most cases arrive after street date. I only received the last wave a couple of days ago. Rest assured, The Adventures of Robin Hood will be covered here whenever it arrives.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Local Best Buy did not get any stock of Robin Hood, Grand Prix or Terminator 3. They also did not get the Blu-ray release of Corpse Bride. The same thing happened on The Searchers earlier this month. It appears that Warner may have short shipped as it appears that Anmazon also did not get enought stock to fill pre-orders. This is going to be an even bigger mess in fourth quarter if the distribution channels are not fixed. Popular titles are going to be hard to find.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I still haven't received my review copy either (though I did get Terminator 3 and Grand Prix a couple days ago). The distribution system, including promotion for HD DVD seems to be completely out of whack for some reason. I suppose there is a certain amount of being at the mercy of replicators for small press runs.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Perhaps they're not sure which reviewers own the proper players (or their system is not taylored for it yet) - perhaps even some reviewers have reported back to the studios that they couldn't do a thing with the discs ("and SDVD is good enough for me anyway, thank you, call me again when the war is over" :) ).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks