What's new

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yeah, but Hairspray hasn't even opened theatrically yet so we are looking probably at a minimum of 4 months or end of November before they release their very first title, and then shortly after that we hit the post Christmas lull. Unlikely they'll be releasing all that much in the first Q of 08, unless they are going to 'tag team' and let the other studios sit out a while , while they catch up a bit.
Suppose the same strategy could be in the cards for Fox too.

There's a handful of titles, both catalog and new, coming before this year is out that I'm excited about, but I'm thinking at this point 2008 on the whole is going to be better- at least for the kinds of stuff I want.

Oh, and I see no reason whatsoever that NL would release the EEs of LOTR at this point. Not with a 1-2% market share. Makes much more sense to let the TVs fill the early void, and then in a few years (to tie-in with the Hobbit?) make a big splash with the EEs. By that time, there will still be a demand for them, and the money spent on the TVs by fans that just couldn't wait won't seem so bitter- and of course, the market will be that much bigger.
Like Doug, I only really want the first two of the series in the EE form, and will happily settle with ROTK in the shorter theatrical cut.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Um, yeah, great, I guess.

Someone wake me up when they announce Dark City, Se7en, LOTR or Blade. :P

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Oh, yes, while you were napping another smaller studio went Blu. :) Back to sleep now, I'll wake you when something out-of-the-ordinary happens. ;)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Yes!

Magnolia, Boogie Nights, The Sweet Hereafter, Short Cuts, The Player, A Prairie Home Companion, Night on Earth, Kansas City, The New World, American Splendor, The Sea Inside, The Five Senses, and to a lesser extent Se7en are titles I would purchase in HD - the first four being masterpieces.

Hairspray doesn't cut it (for me). I want HD picture quality, but I don't want to sit through crap just to get it.

It's bad enough that I have to wait for foreign films to get the HD treatment, but I have to wait for great American/Canadian films as well?

I hope New Line has some of those titles in the works, although I get the feeling the next few films they announce will be quality titles like Son of the Mask, Dumb & Dumberer, Codename: The Cleaner, Mortal Kombat and Snakes on a Plane :rolleyes

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
New Line Cinema Corporation
888 7th Ave., Fl. 19
New York, NY 10106
USA

Cees

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am format neutral - it's many studios, that's who are not.
And a few fanboys and followers.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
"The New World" was just named one of the Best of the Best (SD) DVD's, by Home Theater (I know, I know) mag. Would LUV the extended cut in HD!!! :-0

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I hope this is factual. It would be nice to see New Line releasing in High Def.:)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Great that this is now official. Now bring on the big guns (LOTR, etc)!

From Wikipedia:

A Nightmare on Elm Street series
Dungeons & Dragons(2000)
The Adventures of Pinocchio (co-production with Savoy Pictures and The Kushner-Locke Company)
A History of Violence (2005)
American History X
About Schmidt
The Lord of the Rings film trilogy (2001-2003)
The Austin Powers series (1997-2002)
Blade Trilogy (1998-2004)
Blow
Boogie Nights (1997)
Book of Love (1990) (directed by New Line CEO Robert Shaye)
Critters
Detroit Rock City
Dumb & Dumber and Dumb & Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd
Elf (2004)
The Evil Dead
Female Trouble by John Waters (1974)
Final Destination series (2000-2006)
Fracture (2007)
Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
Friday (1995)
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
Hairspray (1988)
Hairspray (2007)
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle (2004)
The Hidden and its 1994 direct-to-video sequel
Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
Jason X (2002)
Little Children (2006)
Lost In Space (1998)
Magnolia (1999)
The Mask (1994)
Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
Monster-in-Law (2005)
Multiple Maniacs (1970)
Mr. Nanny (1993)
The New World (2005)
No Holds Barred (1989)
Pan's Labyrinth (2006, through Picturehouse)
Pink Flamingos (1972) by John Waters
The Player 1992 by Robert Altman
Polyester (1981)
Rush Hour series
The Sea Inside
Se7en (1995)
Snakes on a Plane (2006)
Spawn (1997)
Suburban Commando (1991)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live action films
The Notebook (2004)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1973) (distributor) (1980 re-release)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) and its prequel The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
The Upside of Anger
Wedding Crashers
The Wedding Singer (1998)
Willard (2003)
The Players Club (1998)
Menace II Society (1993)
My Family (1995)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Wow. Didn't realize they had such slim pickings. Less than 10 titles in there I'd want to own. Hopefully they come out first. ;)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I would double dip for all of their Jason films, the Nightmare on Elm Street catalog, Critters 1 & 2, and LOTR.

That's about it.

Also, they distributed 'The Evil Dead' during its theatrical run, but I don't know why it's listed here. They no longer have rights and never distributed it on video/DVD.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Since they are first time HD entries, they're really not a double dip yet. ;) :)

Until a few years later, we get Hairspray: The Stronger Hold Edition. :D

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

That list covers most of the major titles, but it's far from comprehensive -- go to IMDb for a more extensive list, although bear in mind that a lot of these films (especially the early releases from the '60s and '70s) aren't with the company anymore.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I could possibly see New Line releasing The Nightmare on Elmstreet collection around Halloween. With Rush Hour 3 touching down in a few weeks, I could see this being another day/date title, perhaps with the first two films in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks