What's new

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72 (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they don't want to loose money - Apparently no software title has made a profit on HD to date, at least that's what I remember reading on this board so it must be true.

Could be they're terrified of pirates and are waiting for BD+

They could be waiting for Walmarts cheap Chinese players to cross the Pacific.

They might be holding back so their titles don't get lost in this flood of high-profile quality releases this summer.

I just think they're unaware of HD opticals existence and that they forgot to read the memo that HD and BD were launched last year.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

... what high profiles titles are coming out on DVD this summer? Its not that we are asking for "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy to be released but at least New Line should be by now releasing its new releases on at least one format the same day the SD-DVD release is (or close to it).

Studios can't expect to make a profit right away on any new format. Just like with anything that is new it takes time to build an base of people to support the product. Talk to TNA Wrestling about that. It took them five years of losing money before they have started to earn money.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

lol Jim, I know what you mean. Thomas is always going on about how the general public has no interest in HD optical media. Either he is consulting for New Line, or they have taken his comments to heart.

I keed, I keed. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't New Line waiting for TotalHD? THD just got pushed back to 2008, so it wouldn't surprise me to see no New Line titles until then.

New Line is probably not satisfied with HD optical media penetration at this time to warrant producing another two formats. They're probably content to either wait to see if a "winner" emerges in Q4 or THD comes online to save them SKUs, etc.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

Which makes sense at least for the major titles like "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy. But at least release new titles like "Last Mimzy" on the same day as the SD-DVD. At least give us THAT much.

Looks like I'll just Netflix "Last Mimzy" for now on SD-DVD.

FTX

Auditioning
Real Name
Filip
Apparantly, NewLine is planning to enter the HD arena too since on the "Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread" there is mention about the encoding of it:

Since Microsoft is involved for the VC-1 encoding, it looks like at least a HD-DVD is in the works...

F

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Agreed - absolutely has to be the extended cuts to get me to purchase. Here's hoping. Either way it's great news. This would be a huge release for HD, though I still feel we're years away, if ever, from HD replacing SD to the masses. Regardless, this will get a few fencers over and hopefully that will get the other studios to release some more big guns.

The more I think about it, the more I'm confused by studios not releasing extended cuts. This is a niche market and thus, the people purchasing are major film fans/collectors - the kind of folks who want extended cuts. It's kind of bizarre to release the theatrical cuts only.

Cheers,

Jason

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Greed. Studios want to go back to the well as much as possible, especially with their A-list flagship titles. The more times they can sell you the same title over and over again the more money they make.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Jim,

I definitely understand that. But like you stated about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you won't be purchasing if it's not the extended editions and neither will I. And I'm sure there are a great many others who won't. Will there be enough theatrical sales to warrant releasing them? I don't know. But I do know that right now the current purchasers of HD DVD and Bluray (for the most part) are film fans - people who will most likely be more interested in extended cuts of the films.

The only reason I own King Kong on HD right now is because I prefer the theatrical to the extended. That isn't the case with Lord of the Rings. And from what I hear and read, it seems many would agree.

Cheers,

Jason

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Man would I LOVE to own the EXT Editions on HD DVD!!!!!

"You Shall Not Pass!!! " :cool:

Edited-Thanks to Jason Roer for the correction.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Tim,

The geek in me says, "You Shall Not Pass!" But I could be wrong. Don't feel like popping it in to find out. The lazy guy in me is overriding the geek in me right now.

Cheers,

Jason

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing:
How much does it cost to master one "LotR" film, a million?
How many copies would NL sell, 100,000?
If NL made $10US on every copy sold, where is the profit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks