What's new

Where is Mary Tyler Moore Season 5? (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

MTM was not successful in reruns in NY where it aired on WNBC in late afternoon. I don't think it was renewed after its initial deal expired. It finished its run airing overnight.

droach75

Auditioning
Real Name
darrell roach
"Link for the lazy".

Not for the want of tryin' Alan_H

Apparently you need 10 posts before you can include links in your posts

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
So if this is true then what horrible show-destroying cost-cutting measures will they use ?

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Darrell, my post wasn't in any way directed at you. I was just trying to help people who didn't want to take the time to google it.

Peace, bro.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This is fabulous news! I only hope we get the final 2 seasons of Bob Newhart and may even get started on Rhoda. Having all of Mary, Bob and Rhoda would make me a VERY happy camper.

droach75

Auditioning
Real Name
darrell roach
Alan_H ,,,No problem

What a great week...Great news I am beaming (smiling) at the propest of finally getting to watch ther end of this series.

Reading The Time peice,,i didn't relaise the show in its final years began to concentrate more on Mary at work.

Hopefully they can work out a release schedule asap.,,u think they will release all 3x seasons on the same day or release them say 3 months apart?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised this thread hasn't exploded. I hope it is not a bad sign.

They will probably replace "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" with some nondescript humming.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

The same they used on seasons 1-4. IIRC, the masters used already existed before the DVDs were made, and possibly before News Corporation acquired IFE giving them the MTM Productions library.

Luckily, the copyright on "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" expired some 20 years ago. Anything else, unless it causes huge gaps or plot holes, will probably be snipped unless Fox got that message too.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff

The late night run became a fixture on NYC TV. It may not have been successful in its afternoon time slot, but its airings on channel 4 WNBC late night (following the "Tomorrow Show" and later David Letterman) in back-to-back episodes for about five years (roughly 1980-85) was successful. In college (NYU) every night a large, eclectic group of us would gather in our dorm's TV room (complete with typewriters, Norton Anthologies and Organic Chem text books) for the nightly ritual. There was at least one article published at this time commenting on how the repeats of MTM repeatedly beat its time slot competitors (Joe Allen, et. al.) which was only right since MTM was far and away the best thing on late night NYC TV.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Any word on when they are releasing the last three seasons? I think Ed Aswner and his son were responsible for some special features stuff produced. Whether we will see it on the DVD's who knows.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It looks like "Oprah" is rerunning the MTM reunion show this Monday (Dec. 8th). I didn't see it originally, but wasn't this the show where everyone got MTM DVD sets?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Nothing is successful that runs overnight for the simple reason that a station gets very little revenue from advertising in the overnight hours. Overnight spots are usually given away as make goods or are sold at very low rates. If a program is not generating revenue it is not a success no matter how many people are watching. Sadly TV stations got much more revenue from infomercials than from old movies and TV shows, which is why old movies and TV shows were mostly removed from overnight broadcast TV.

Thanks for the Oprah heads up. I will have to tape it as I did not see it when first broadcast.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Sure, although for me, I do not know i want to own Rhoda or not. I have been watching Lou Grant on Hulu.com and i think this is well done.

Mobro

Auditioning
Real Name
Maureen
This is one of my favorite shows of the era, Mary as the independent career woman, Lou, the gruff but lovable boss and Ted the narcissist . . . Can't wait for the remaining seasons - the series definitely got better over time!

droach75

Auditioning
Real Name
darrell roach
So who got their Amazon alert today announcing that The Mary Tyler Moore Show Complete Series is available to pre-order at $125.99.

No artwork or actual release date is on the Amazon page.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If they are selling the entire series, I hope they will be selling the last three seasons, individually. I already own Seasons 1-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks