What's new

Where is Canada??? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
With respect to those affected...
Not to be political, just asking for answers.
In all this mess with last weeks events, I have seen an outcry from countries - US allies or not - around the world with all kinds of aid, support and backing, both politically, militarily, and non.
This is great, and I really hope and believe they will stand by these gestures, but in all this mess, I have not seen a single thing from Canads. Of course you see the red cross, blood donations, sending people down to help with the 'search and rescue' operation, candlelight vigils, flowers, tears, ceremonies, etc. which is amazing, and I do love to see it, and I have participated in MUCH of it, but as far as our government and armed forces goes, I haven't seen one thing.
OPINION ALERT! WHAT FOLLOWS IS MERELY MY OPINION
As a proud Canadian I am shocked by this. I think we should support the US in every action that it takes, just as if this was happening on our own soil, heck there were many Canadians that died in the towers, as well as other nationalities, and ethnicities, and to see that we don't give this backing to the US, our closest, largest and best ally, the two countries so interdependent, is shocking to me.
END OPINION ALERT
Now maybe I am missing something. And I really hope I am, and please let me know if I am, but I'm just really dissapointed right now, and if this is indeed all that Canada is doing, I have to say this is the one and only time that I am NOT proud to be a CANADIAN.
Again, just looking for answers, not to criticize, but I want all you americans in this forum and outside of it, and people all around the world to know that this is one Canadian who stands by you, and is looking at doing something more.
With respect to those affected.
------------------
THAT'S just EVIL!!!! and EVIL is WRONG!!!!!
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on September 20, 2001 at 12:36 PM]

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice to have a larger roll in this. The big problem is that we are 1/10 the population base of the U.S.
Our military is pretty strong against MOST countries, but side by side ours is like 1/20th of the U.S.s.
I too have heard of lots of Canadians lending a had.
Brent L
Our Prime Minister is being a dick.....nuff said.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Not to mention allowing all the planes to come into our cities on that fateful day without really knowing if some of them were highjacked as well. Not to mention Canadian families taking Americans into their own homes while they had to wait for a new flight days later...
Trust me, we've done more than just about every other country involved. Not to knock any other countries because I feel they are all doing there part but we (Canada) were a little more directly involved in this than most...
------------------
BLAM!
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.
Check out my movie mural here... http://www.geocities.com/superfacehu...ater_Page.html
[Edited last by Micheal on September 20, 2001 at 09:03 AM]
[Edited last by Micheal on September 20, 2001 at 09:04 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think I can do this. Yes, you are great neighbors, but ever so quiet. I did hear too that you're sending down doggie booties for the dogs at WTC to wear to protect their feet, but I have yet to see them.
(I wasn't trying to funny, but give me a minute).
If you live in the US anywhere near our borders, we are constantly reminded of your presence in change. Once in awhile we'll get a Canadian penny in change. Getting rid of it can be a daunting tast, but the farther south you go the less you see, and the influence is thus gone.
Not putting them down, but if you came up to anyone in the southern half of the US and aked them about Canada, they'd say "What's that?" - CNN is based in Atlanta. I'm hoping that this is where you got the feeling that your country in non-existant from.
No, you're truely our brothers, and very close. I can't think of one argument that we've had with each other, and good news in no news - at least according to broadcast TV.
Glenn

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Thanks guys, this makes me feel much better to be a CANADIAN!
I guess perhaps the reason I wasn't seeing more of this is because I'm out west here in Calgary, and have been mostly watching CNN for news -- I guess I'm just not exposed to it all.
Now I know that the Calgary International Airport took in 13 flights, my company, and many other companies as I understand were on security alert because of this. One of these flights, an air italia flight was the first flight to touch down in US airspace at LAX supposedly, and I know many other Airports were involved as well, most notably Newfoundland I hear, which is awesome they're involved out there too!
Is this enough? I keep imagining a situation, whereby 4 planes crash into the CN tower, a packed skydome, ottawa parliament, and Bay Street simultaneously. Not to be morbid of course, and with respect to those affected by the REAL disaster, but if this happened on our soil, the US would be into our country in SECONDS, giving aid, and kicking terrorist A$$
Now I know how big we are in NATO, but of the people I've been talking with, there's an overwhelming agreement that the government has not done a good enough job with this, and would like to see more on the politicical level i guess. I also know how small our country and army is comparatively, but just want to see a little more I guess. I just have some conflicting feelings that's all. I am proud and always have been proud to be a CANADIAN but would just like to see a little more from us.
And thanks, Glenn, that does feel much better that someone is appreciating our efforts, and applauding us when we shake our booties....
Thanks for letting me vent.
:)
patriot.gif
--> wish there was a Canadian version of this...
------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on September 20, 2001 at 12:14 PM]

DavidY

Supporting Actor
IMO, Canada is doing it's share for the most part...just not very vocal about it. The PM is just not a rah, rah type of guy. Currently, Canada still needs to improve its security measures, immigration procedures and make funding terrorism illegal (yep, it's reported to be legal in Canada to fund and belong to a terrorist group
eek.gif
).
As for the military, Canada doesn't have much....at least without leaving the cupboards bare to speak (Canada is a huge country). Probably a token military force will be involved.
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on September 20, 2001 at 10:32 AM]

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
While I agree we're doing our part to help with logistical aspects of the clean up etc I do feel that we could be doing more politically but then this is really the first time our gobberment has had to do anything. I've never been a fan of the way the liberals govern but I just wish they'd take a chance every once in a while...esp on something we're the latest polls state 80 plus percent of canucks support more action
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I know where Canada is; I've even been there several times, and rather like it. I'll trust Canada and its citizens to do the right thing.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Paul (and all Canadians), you have every reason to be proud. Allowing trans-Atlantic flights that had spent their fuel and couldn’t return to Europe to land in your country posed a tremendous risk to your homeland. But you did it without even blinking. You immediately began helping out at ground zero, ground one, and continue to do so. You were also the first country to supply intelligence regarding the attackers and their contacts.
Although Canada’s involvement hasn’t been very “political,” you were there right in the middle of the crisis, when we really needed you. And you came through for us brilliantly.
Thank you, Canada.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Of course Canada did a lot during the crisis but I agree, the decisions to stand side by side with the US militarily should have come much quicker from the leadership than it did.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
"You're soaking in it..." :)
We are very much in support. Even locally, there are relief fundraisers in progress and in planning for the Red Cross. Our gov't is here when you ask.
Peace.
ribbon.gif

------------------
"Fearless Freep?! That's mmma boy!"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Canadians have also given aid in small ways that have gone unnoticed by the national media. In the Detroit area, the border crossing from Windsor into Detroit has been a nightmare of delays (up to a 15 hour wait at one point). Canadian businesses in Windsor have given food and drinks to motorists and truckers waiting in these incredibly long customs lines.
Canada has always been a great neighbor and friend to the USA. You guys brew excellent beer, too.
yum.gif

------------------
patriot.gif

My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Paul and my other Canadian amigos--
I am a red-blooded, flag-waving American boy. I am also the son of Canadian immigrants. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Canada is the best friend the USA has. Let not your heart be troubled, the USA knows where your hearts are.
Now question: When is Canadian Thanksgiving? An odd question I know, but there is a method to my madness. My Cub Scout pack wants to serve meals at a homeless shelter on Thanksgiving, but we were told that that is the one day of the year that they are swamped; could we come another day. So I thought, "Hey! Why not Canadian Thanksgiving?"
I think that it is either the first or last Monday in October. Am I close to right?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
October 8th is Thanksgiving in Canada this year thanks to my IMBA calender...
Yes, you canucks are great :) I have relatives in Calgary and I always remember the people being friendly, the roads having a higher speed limit and the Stampede. You guys are much like me, prefer to do my good deeds quietly without any need to draw attention.
Jay "Canadian at heart" H
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I agree we have been quiet, but I know we've been helping out as much as we possibly can. At work, there is a donation box to help out the Red Cross. Yesterday, a local radio station rallied my city into donating $25000 to the Red Cross in one day, which I think is incredible! There was footage of children from a local mall donating their own teddy bears to help out the families of missing rescue workers. Needless to say, I think everyone here wants to help out as much as possible.
I think we consider ourselves to be so close to the US that we don't need to make a show of us helping out. Consider us as the colder, bigger state (with funny coloured money).
On a side note though, I didn't hear Bush say anything about Canada in his address to the nation tonight. Maybe I missed it though. It certainly wouldn't hurt us to speak up at times, to stand up and be counted in times such as these.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
I have no complaints about Canada. I used to have a girlfriend in Toronto, and it's awful lot of fun to drive a Corvette in the snow!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
October 8th weekend is thanksgiving weekend here in canada this year.
thanks for all the good thoughts guys!!
Ric.... thanks how'd you do that??!
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on September 21, 2001 at 02:21 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks