What's new

Where is ANDY HARDY? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
What I meant was, these DVD-R's may play just fine today... tomorrow.. maybe even a couple of years from now. However, there's always the chance, being inferior to pressed DVDs, that they will cease to play at some point. Sure, you can call Warner today and ask for a quick replacement. But will that option be availabe if your Andy Hardy movies go dead in, say, 2017?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Joe Karlosi said:
What I meant was, these DVD-R's may play just fine today... tomorrow.. maybe even a couple of years from now. However, there's always the chance, being inferior to pressed DVDs, that they will cease to play at some point. Sure, you can call Warner today and ask for a quick replacement. But will that option be availabe if your Andy Hardy movies go dead in, say, 2017?
No doubt it's just me but I've never understood worrying about "what if?" and "what will happen tomorrow?". I could get run over by a car tomorrow and die, all my DVDs could get destroyed in an earthquake or fire next week. Why should I worry about 2017? Life is short. Enjoy it (all of it including DVDs) now!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Roger Rollins said:
Warner Archive seems to have revised their return policy as it concerns defectives. There is no longer a 30 day limit for defect exchanges. A friend recently pointed out to me this change in the FAQs on their website. I've cut and pasted it below (emphasis of Bold type is my own, BTW)....
Q: What do I do if my DVD doesn’t play?
A: We will exchange Warner Archive Collection discs purchased from WBshop.com that do not play due to manufacturing defect. Discs that were damaged from misuse, accident, or wear and tear are excluded from this policy. Regardless of when you purchased your Warner Archive Collection disc from the WBshop.com if you discover that one of your discs does not play or suffers from some other manufacturing defect, please contact customer service at: 1-866-373-4389.
I ordered the Andy Hardy set yesterday. Can't wait until it arrives.
Nice to see that policy change . Now when can we see a cover replacement program for updated covers .

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thomas T - yours is a great philosophy, and one which I also share. That said, I still like a DVD I purchase to work, every time (short of an Earthquake, or whatever)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Tell that to Deep Discount. The insist that the discs be returned and if a box set then the whole thing has to go back. After 30-days of invoice you must pay the postage back. A very unfair situation when a package might, sometimes happens, take a month to get overseas. Then it might be a month or more before you open it. I do buy a lot and I am now starting to open more sooner. Just the last few days decided I wanted to see Sony MOD Boston Blackie's Chinese Venture(they should have done a box set of Boston Blackie) and when I took off the stretch wrap there was no disc inside. Amazon was the supplier at a cheaper price and immediately asked me if I wanted my money back or a replacement. Obviously, I wanted a replacement and it is on the way. I remember I last had this problem about 2000-2001 when a double Keaton set was issued by either Kino or distributed by Image and there was only one disc inside. At that time I was using Dave's Laser in LA who I HAD NOT used for Laserdiscs in that era. I used fax until I went on line and then it was e-mail. They order guy(an older guy at the time) sent a new copy no problems. Dave's would not go on line like Amazon etc saying that it would be too costly but they did attempt to send catalog listings and used Earthlink as their ISP. Promptly, I got my first virus. Trouble was I read the e-mails from the top and further down they had sent a post not to open the listings. Norton(don't use now) found the bugger and I was clear. I now like to read the e-mails from the bottom up, that is the last first if I have not been on for a few hours, like overnight. Seems a good policy.

In respect of faulty replicated discs, I remember the company in Taiwan making Image's titles maintain they would replace faulty discs for life. Very optimistic, I would say and not very practical if they don't have the master etc etc etc.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Sadly, those days seem to be gone. I was in Best Buy last night and they didn't even stock Some Like It Hot or American Graffiti on Blu-ray! These are two major classic catalog titles that they would only allow you to purchase online. I then attempted to order The Cincinatti Kid on blu and Night Flight instore and was told that the warehouse didn't stock them for store delivery---online only. I guess stores will only stock day/date titles from here on out. All the stores that supported the catalog business model are now gone.

I just found this post from July 28 2011. Leads me to this:

We had Borders all over Australia in large stores of books and DVDs. They also sold imported magazines. At the back of the stores they had a coffee shop and living room furniture and people would get a coffee and read the mags for Free and would not but them. They closed up like another local chain from ancient times. They had big sales to get rid of their DVDs first and then the books. In the last week or so they have been advertising Borders madly on radio for Christmas. They have replaced the stores with an on-line store. Way to go Jose, it seems.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by moviepas /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3876337

Sadly, those days seem to be gone. I was in Best Buy last night and they didn't even stock Some Like It Hot or American Graffiti on Blu-ray! These are two major classic catalog titles that they would only allow you to purchase online. I then attempted to order The Cincinatti Kid on blu and Night Flight instore and was told that the warehouse didn't stock them for store delivery---online only. I guess stores will only stock day/date titles from here on out. All the stores that supported the catalog business model are now gone.
About five years ago, I would head to Best Buy to pick up catalog titles every Tuesday. Then it got to the point that I would more times than not leave the store with nothing because they did not stock the titles. Now I may go only once every couple of months to pick up printer toner. I also used to get nephews and nieces Best Buy gift cards for presents. They don't want them anymore. I think it's funny that for a store I used have a rewards card and visited weekly, now does not want me. I even stopped going to purchase new titles for I now order them from the internet as I do the catalog titles. When they complain at the end of the year that their business is down due the economy, I will just smile, knowing that the main reason is they don't stock and carry many items people used to buy there and they have shown that they don't want my money.

I was lucky enough to purchase a copy of the autographed version. I wish WB would release Judy's "Listen, Darling." It's the only other Garland film not available on dvd, except for "A Child is Waiting" which is owned by MGM.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3876403
About five years ago, I would head to Best Buy to pick up catalog titles every Tuesday. Then it got to the point that I would more times than not leave the store with nothing because they did not stock the titles. Now I may go only once every couple of months to pick up printer toner. I also used to get nephews and nieces Best Buy gift cards for presents. They don't want them anymore. I think it's funny that for a store I used have a rewards card and visited weekly, now does not want me. I even stopped going to purchase new titles for I now order them from the internet as I do the catalog titles. When they complain at the end of the year that their business is down due the economy, I will just smile, knowing that the main reason is they don't stock and carry many items people used to buy there and they have shown that they don't want my money.

And they wonder why they are having financial problems. Best Buy is having a going out of business sale this week in the UK. All stores In the UK are shutting down including the online Best Buy UK.
Stateside the stores I go to in my area have poor customer service and when i stopped by today several of the employees would not help at all I heard them talking about their date the night before which they seem more interested in discussing with other co workers instead of doing their job (this is just my account BTW as I also have friends who work at BB that are truly great at what they do).

I used to stop at Best Buy every Tuesday to make my media purchases and this was every week.I stopped going when the got rid of the catalogue inventory. I also used to walk out with other purchases that I hadnt planned to purchase that day. Those days are gone as well as my dollars that are no longer spent there unless the have a Best Buy exclusive.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
eric scott richard said:
It's the only other Garland film not available on dvd, except for "A Child is Waiting" which is owned by MGM.
You mean in the U.S., of course. Those of us with region free players have access to the excellent transfer of the A Child Is Waiting DVD available from England.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by moviepas /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3876336
Tell that to Deep Discount. The insist that the discs be returned and if a box set then the whole thing has to go back. After 30-days of invoice you must pay the postage back.

And that is another reason, I will never do business with Deep Discount again. Their cost savings is not worth the hassle they put you through.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
And that is another reason, I will never do business with Deep Discount again.  Their cost savings is not worth the hassle they put you through.
Same here. I stopped usind DD several years ago due to poor svc and an unfriendly return/exchange setup. The only time that I had one DVD order arrive crushed into many pieces was the last order that I did with DD. I've never had problems with Amazon.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have always had great service from Amazon. I also find if you do have a problem and you speak with them on the phone they are very good about discounts or returns. I ordered my Andy Hardy Volume 1 set by phone today because I had questions. I was told sales are brisk and people are asking when the next volume is due out.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Has anyone else got this yet? I kind of hate to take the shrink wrap off.

How do the movies look?

7e1d1bf2_TheAndyHardyCollectionVolume1.jpeg

---------------

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I got it, Mickey Rooney chicken scratch and all, though thankfully mine did not get smudged.
I probably won't get around to watching them until at least Vol. 2 gets available so I can have a chronological viewing experience.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ScottHM /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3878904
Has anyone else got this yet? I kind of hate to take the shrink wrap off.

How do the movies look?

7e1d1bf2_TheAndyHardyCollectionVolume1.jpeg

---------------
They all look really good, with You're Only Young Once being the worse of the lot with a soft look. Transfer looks to from element that is many generations away from the original. The sound on all the films is strong and clear. Great addition to the collection and I look forward to another group soon. Oh, trailers are included for all 6 films.

I got Mickey's autograph about 10 years ago and it looks just the same as the one on the box. I just hope if I ever get to his age that I can write my name 400 times in a short period of time.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
That's great to hear. I hope they don't wait too long to release the other volume(s).

Originally Posted by ahollis /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3878961
They all look really good...

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
As someone who collects autographs, that one is pretty lousy. I'd be upset if I paid extra for an autographed piece and it came all smeared like that. That isn't acceptable.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Jeff Willis said:
Have some others watched the v1 set recently? I was wondering how they compare with the TCM transfers.
I was very pleased with the quality of the Andy Hardy discs. I had them on my TiVO from TCM airings, and compared them after the DVDs arrived, and they are all SIGNIFICANTLY better than what is shown on TCM, both in terms of picture AND sound.The latter is particularly notable in ANDY HARDY MEETS DEBUTANTE and ANDY HARDY'S PRIVATE SECRETARY where there are musical sequences. No more crackly audio! There are a few online reviews that echoed my thoughts in this regard, so I'd recommend you seek those out as well. Kudos to Warner on this to be sure, and here's to bringing on Volume 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks