Where is 77 Sunset Strip?????

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bobPON, May 2, 2006.

1. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Would definitely like to see 77 Sunset Strip - I think it holds up very well even today. Hawaiian Eye, less so, although it's still a guilty pleasure.
    I haven't seen Mr. Lucky in decades and would be interested in revisiting it again.

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Mr. Lucky is a great, forgotten show. Ross Martin is just as good, or even better, as he was in the Wild, Wild, West.

3. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

I have the opposite reaction. Sunset Strip puts me to sleep while to me, Connie Stevens makes Hawaiian Eye worth watching.

4. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I like 77, but I agree about Connie Stevens, for sure. I also like Robert Conrad, he adds alot of presence to the show, as he did in the Wild, Wild West, and Black Sheep Squadron.

5. bobPON

bobPON Stunt Coordinator

I want all of the WB detective shows and the sooner the better. I want complete season sets or a megaset with all seasons.

6. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

I was fortunate enough to get the first two seasons of Peter Gunn released by Liberation. They are both excellent releases, and I wouldn't mind getting a season 3 release. Now the season 1 set did set me back $50 US but i was able to get the season 2 release for only $15 US to ease the pain. I tried watching season 3 on RTV but the video quality and the syndicated cuts were hard to take after seeing them in near pristine condition.

7. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    The sad thing is that clean film elements do exist for all or most of PETER GUNN and, evidently, for MR. LUCKY as well. Recent posts on HTF also suggest that clean film original elements exist for all of the DOBIE GILLIS episodes. I felt bad that many of, say, the CHECKMATE episodes only existed in video dupes of the original materials. Still, so happy to have them in any form available. I just wonder who owns the Liberation titles now. Hope that they just don't sit on them forever.

8. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    you're confusing what's available with what exists. Master negatives exist for all these shows - it's a matter of what has been stuck up or not.
    The current distributor of PETER GUNN sees no need to strike up new prints when what they have is good enough for broadcast - that's why you'll see a mix of quality in the television package - of varying length and source elements. The only reason a decent set of MR.LUCKY was available is they did need a set prepared for syndication. (and might have been done several years ago, intact.) If you've seen the DOBIE GILLIS episodes on MeTV, you'll notice the end credits are in 16mm - unrestored - rather than 35mm as they didn't take them time to find the clean end credit negatives without the sponsor's product-tag on them. Nice prints, and I beleive all the episodes were stuck up. (although one Christmas episode hasn't aired at all)
    The CHECKMATE masters are safe and sound in Universal's possession - it's another case of not wanting to spend the money to strike new prints. TIMELESS did an excellent job gathering 16mm print on all but a handful of episodes of the series. No word if a clean studio set of positives were located along with this big batch of MCA/Universal shows being released.

9. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

But in the case of Peter Gunn, the source used for the UK release is much better then what A&E used in the US. So for that show at least, Ed was correct in that there are better prints available. It is just a matter of whether someone in the US can get a hold of them to use in a region 1 release.

10. schmenz

schmenz Auditioning

danny
    Are there any release updates for 77 SUNSET STRIP?

I've seen a few episodes recently and they are well-written, well-plotted, well-directed and well-acted and I see no logical reason why modern audiences wouldn't find them extremely entertaining.

11. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Yeah, there is. The show is in black and white and no one under 50 has ever heard of it unless they are a TV buff. Don't confuse quality with marketability.

12. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    What really hurts the marketability of this show, with regard to younger people, is that they haven't heard of it due to the fact that it had very very little syndicated presence in the 70's and 80's. A lot of other once popular shows fall into this category too: The other Warner detective shows, The Defenders, Name Of The Game, Casey/Kildare, Burke's Law, etc. These were shown sporadically in syndication but not near to the degree of shows like Get Smart, Hogan's, Jeannie, and the like

13. schmenz

schmenz Auditioning

danny
    Neil makes a good point vis-a-vis black and white. I remember reading a comment on the internet from someone who will watch some classic films but - to use his words - will "draw the line at black and white". Imagine. I wonder what the poor man would do if ever he were in an art gallery and saw one of Rembrandt's charcoal sketches, or saw hanging on someone's wall a photograph by Ansel Adams? Most likely he would cover his eyes in horror.

But having said that I believe that with some thoughtful promotion and quality advertising and marketing a 77 SUNSET STRIP dvd would find an audience, and not just old timers. All of my grown up kids enjoy shows like that, and MAVERICK and others and couldn't care a whit if they were in color or not. Warners shouldn't be so terrified of demographics that they stop engaging in creative marketing.

In any event their recent, long-awaited release of MAVERICK - in black and white - seems to be doing reasonably well enough for them to release the entire series.

cwilli likes this.
  14. MartinP.

MartinP. Stunt Coordinator

Martin
    This is one of those shows that I've always heard of, but never seen an episode.
    I include Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6 and Bourbon Street Beat along with it. I even
    walk by the spot on Sunset Blvd. where the office location was filmed. (There's a
    plaque in the sidewalk. I stop and snap my fingers twice, lol!) They just tore down
    the entire block for a new development.

If not a release, why not one of the retro channels?

Tooncy and hypnohighball like this.
  15. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Did I hear someone say "Hawaiian Eye"?

I dug this still out of storage over the weekend:

[​IMG]

16. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    I asked WA about Hawaiian Eye last week and they said nothing new to report. :(

17. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

I have never seen any of these shows, but I sure would like to.