What's new

Where do u have your gain on your dayton 10" ? (1 Viewer)

Mohamed_M

Agent
Where do you have the gain knob set on your dayton 10" sub ? half way ? 3/4 ? just curious where people have theirs.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I live in an apartment until Sunday. When it's not too late I have mine set at about 11:30. If it's during the afternoon or I'm just demoing it to someone I'll kick it up to about 1 o'clock or so. I'm about to move into a new house so if it doesn't overpower the new speakers I'm going to get then I'll probably keep it at least set on 1 o'clock.

brad cook

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Mine is normally used as a second sub and sits next to the seating area. Each sub was calibrated individually. The volume on the dayton sub after calibration was at about 40%.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nobody else's settings will work the same for your specific room and gear. You have to place and calibrate the sub per your environment.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Mine's set at about 11 o'clock. That works out to -1db on the receivers sub channel, calibrated about 2db hot. (Onkyo 501)

Mohamed_M

Agent
See, now thats where the confusion comes in. Seems like most of you are using that knob as volume control, it is actually the GAIN of the internal amplifier!. That is a very common and big mistake and thats why i asked. You adjust the gain by finding the sweet spot where it will give you the best power vs. cleaness (opposite of distortion) and then calibrate from the receiver. So you guys dont set to dolby standards and leave it there ?

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, mine is properly calibrated. I use MCACC with my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D912K). During the setup of my subwoofer it would tell me whether the sub was running too hot or not. You'd adjust the gain down on the sub if the receiver reported the volume as too high. I did just this until the receiver was happy.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think you are mistaken Mohamed, most people here already understand this. The two controls are interactive, and both must be adjusted to get the best results in each room.

Mark DL

Auditioning
The sustain...listen to it...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... You could go and have a bite an'...aaaaaaaaa...you'd still be hearin' that one.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Of course it would sound better if it were mixed right, you can't even hear his voice. If it were mixed in Dublin..., you mean DOLBY?

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks