What's new

Where do generation lines begin and end? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That changed for me in the 80's, just as it took a quantum leap for today's generation after 9/11.
Time will tell, but I think the effect of 9/11 on "today's generation" are vastly exagerated. The effects of the dreadful economy and corporate corruption are however very real. 9/11, which has little to do with the above phenomenons seems to be the favorite scapegoat for today's uneasiness.

My opinions of course, I have been wrong before...

--
Holadem

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I guess opinions and experiences vary, Holadem. I have neices and nephews (16 of them) who were pretty apathetic towards being an American, besides of course the sense of blithe entitlement we all enjoy. After 9/11, I saw the older ones change. They became more aware of how fortunate we are and how precious their country is, despite all it's flaws. I also saw them filled not with uneasiness, but with a steely resolve and a course that was straght and true. My 15 (13 on 9/11) year old nephew went from a carefree kid whose biggest concern was not burning his french fries to someone who was interested in history, the military and the sacrifices for freedom of those before him. He went from a 'C' student to an Honor Roll student. Although always polite, he began to show more of a reverence and respect for his elders. His favorite movie went from "Ace Ventura" to "Saving Private Ryan" overnight. Some may see this as good, some as bad, but 9/11 definately had an influence.

YMMV!

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Boomers 1946 - 1965. I have also seen 1960 as given as the end. It was the start of a large increase in the birth rate, and 1965 was the year that the birth rate began to decline.

I think 1937 was the low point up till that time in the birth rate. The Depression obviously had a lot to do with how people viewed starting a family.

I think the impact of wars and nation tragedies like Korea, Vietnam and 9/11 will be viewed by history has having much less impact on society than was felt at the time. The Civil War, WWI and WWII were much more revolutionary on society. They all led to significant changes in society.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Okay, for the record, I'm a 1982 child.

I really got to know this one. I'm sick and tired of being the odd man out when I'm amongst people my age.

So, what am I?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I long to belong.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, what am I?

I long to belong.
------------------------------------------------------------

Why is this important to you? Do you think it has bearing on the type of attitude or personality that you should display?

I "belong" to the most ignorant, greediest, and hypocritical generation in recent history.....commonly called "BABY BOOMERS". I can honestly say I am not particularly proud that I am a member of that generation. In fact, in many ways the actions and attitudes of my so-called "peers" disgust me.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Boomers 1946 - 1965. I have also seen 1960 as given as the end.
As Zen already posted before the Baby Boom generation spans the years 1946-64. At least those are the years that the vast majority of reference material states are the years included in the term Baby Boomer.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I find that being born in 1965 is an incredible nusiance. If I was born at around 1955, my life would have been much more interesting. I'd be a teenager at the time of the first moon landings. The Cold War. The Vietnam War. Trudeaumania. The October Crisis (Google that one). The evolution of cinema to more gritty, foul-mouthed dramas and fewer family oriented flicks. I'd be a young adult during the disco era. The impact of "Star Wars". The election of the Parti Québecois (Google again). The dawn of the microcomputer age which created so many billionare geeks and insomniacs. I would have gained a much higher appreciation of what was going on around me if I was just a bit older and more mature enough to grasp it all.

Luckily, some interesting things have occurred during the eighties and nineties for which I was grown up enough to appreciate it all. The first Quebec referendum. The Iran hostage crisis. Trudeau's departure from politics. The fall of communism. German reunification. The Progressive Conservative Party dropping from a majority government to a two-seat pittance overnight. Ben Johnson winning, Ben John caught cheating, Ben Johnson losing. The SECOND Quebec referendum! Laserdiscs.

Missing out on the sixties and seventies is like missing the beginning of a good movie. You're left wondering what the story is all about and you have to play catch-up for the rest of your days.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Hmmm...

I asked this on another message board. They say I'm Generation Y.

I'd rather go by the definition here...

I'm a Generation Xer, and I'm proud. I find it to be good because I can finally have a reason to talk about 70s and 80s pop culture and not seem like I'm out of place.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Thanks, Edwin-S. By the way, your generation was just fine as well. You had great movies and music to enjoy.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
funny, there was an article in the Sunday papers on this. it claimed that Gen X is those born between 1970 and 1982.

this makes me 1 year too old to be GenX... so Casey if Kris is old, what am I :D

but seriously, as Andrew says, does it really matter?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I think John's post says a lot about the inherent problems with these labels. No offence to John, just using as an example. Someone goes to some point of reference, sees that they are part of gen-whatever, and either likes it or dislikes it. If they are on the edge of the time span given, they simply move themselves into the other category. This is abusrd. Of course the labels are absured any way. By the various definitions I have seen, my siblings and I (older sister 1976, me 1978, younger brother 1982) can fall a few different ways. I have seen where Gen-X ends as early as 1974, which means we would all be Gen-Y. If Gen-X goes to 1976 then my sister is, but my brother and I arent, if it extends to 80 or so then two of us would be buy my brother wouldnt. I have never seen any remotely (whats the word to use here?) authoritative source that would extend Gen-X far enough to include my brother. So, the real absurdity is that three siblings could be in two (or more if they werent as close in age as we are) generations. We're all from the same generation, we are all one generation later than our parents, who are baby boomers.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I find the references to Generation Y hilarious. The X in Generation X is not a letter, but a Roman numeral. It represents the 10th generation of Americans since the founding of the country. That seems to have been lost in the translation. I know it's a losing battle, but the correct terminology should be the less euphonious Generation XI. :)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I think we should be Called Generation Lazy as Hell. I get so annoyed with how lazy and freeloading some of the people are.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mark,

In re your Generation "XI". How is that pronounced, to rhyme with "sexy"? :D

I have an Italian rifle that has a date in Arabic numerals of 1940 but also has Roman numerals XVIII, the 18th year of Mussolini's reign. I guess the Italians don't date their guns that way anymore.....

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
no, but the Japanese still date years according to the year of the Emperor's reign, and the Taiwanese date according to the number of years of the Chinese Republic...

(sorry, couldn't resist throwing out this trivia...)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Great...now I'm never going to know what I am.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And that is an idea that plagues every generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks