What's new

Where can I buy NEW Dreamcast stuff? (1 Viewer)

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
I want to buy a Dreamcast and some games, and would prefer them to be new. Does anyone know an online site or retail store that still carries and sells NEW Dreamcast stuff? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Adam

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sega is supposedly doing another run for Japan only soon
I'm sure the usual suspects will be buying a lot of them and chipping them for all-region play

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
A lot of it depends what you're ordering, I'd imagine. They didn't help their image when they got all snotty nosed at my suggestion that they remove the items from their website if it wasn't in stock.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
they got all snotty nosed at my suggestion that they remove the items from their website if it wasn't in stock.
:) This seems to be the case often. I can do searches on
Link Removed or Gamestop's site and find almost anything as being 'in stock' - but most everything is on that elusive 'backorder.'
On the gamestop site, you can search for a game by physical location to see if the B&Ms have that particular game in-stock. However, it is rarely updated. According to that site, my nearest Funcoland has 4 copies of Record of Lodoss War, which I can assure you, is false. :angry:
Adam, as far as finding new games.. you're going to have a tougher time. Our local Gamestop (formerly Software Etc.) still has lots of new Sonic Adventure 2s and other newer titles, but if you want the older stuff you're going to have to settle for used.
One of the reasons I really like going to stores to search for used DC games is, I can check the quality of the disc and of the packaging before a purchase, not simply get a ripped instruction manual and scratched disc in the mail.
I finally found Mars Matrix yesterday... what a tough shooter!
-j

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Adam -- Best Buy is clearing out all the dreamcast games to make room for the XBox and the other next-gen systems. My store still has a few titles left, mainly the NFL2K series and Mat Hoffman BMX. I'd hurry in and snatch them up before we discontinue them entirely.

As for other stores: Funcoland is probably your best bet. They still have original NES games, so finding Dreamcast games there should be no problem.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
My store still has a few titles left, mainly the NFL2K series and Mat Hoffman BMX. I'd hurry in and snatch them up before we discontinue them entirely
How much is Mat Hoffman BMX? I've been wanting it, but nowhere around here has it at a decent price - the local Best Buys have been out of it for a while.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The Best Buy in my area whittled its DC selection down to a large stack of "NFL2K" several weeks ago - they were charging 2.49 for them, so even I picked one up. By this time they probably no longer carry DC inventory.
They were selling Matt Hoffman BMX for 9.99 when it was still in inventory.
I can't speak for anyone else's experience with this particular vendor, but "games universe" (www.gamesuniverse.com) has a nice selection of new Dreamcast games for decent prices. Note that many titles are on "backorder", but some are not (!). They quickly delivered two brand-new DC games to me this week (super runabout and mr. driller)... two games I could not find anywhere else (new, anyway)... and for about the same price (if not lower) than Funcoland, which as Joseph mentioned above is selling games scratched and without packaging for as much as $30.
I recently bought record of lodoss war and a few other games for "real cheap" at a local independent rent/buy B&M. I usually try to stay away from these places because they have ugly (unremovable) rental stickers on their used discs, but these days I take what I can get. I had to use a scratch-cleaning kit to get some of them to work...
It's true that some outlets are still selling cartridge-based media from a decade ago, but CDs are far less resilient than cartridges - particularly the GD-ROM format, which is infamously cranky about scratches and "boot-sector" ring damage.
~Steve

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
Adam,
Check your e-mail (aol account). I sent you an inquiry about buying a used Dreamcast from me. I know you would prefer new, but why pay for new prices when I can make you a good deal. I am also in-state, so you wouldn't have to worry about shipping.

Matthew Furtek

Users who are viewing this thread