What's new

Where are these roadshows? (1 Viewer)

L

Larry-Bender

OK this has been brought up before, but let us do an update. Here is a list of roadshows that I would like to see on blu.
STAR!
DOCTOR DOLITTLE
HELLO DOLLY- spring 2013.
AGONY AND ECTASY-2014
HAWAII --- FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD D
LORD JIM
FUNNY GIRL-2013
GOODBYE MR CHIPS
SWEET CHARITY
RYANS DAUGHTER 2013?
LION IN WINTER----- KHARTOUM ------- FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE E

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
If you have a region free player, I know Doctor Dolittle and Fall of the Roman Empire are on Blu-ray. Also El Cid is available on region B. Region free BD players are fairly cheap now and worth the investment.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
The Agony & The Ecstasy is tentatively scheduled for 2013 release via Twilight Time Entertainment...Funny Girl is being restored by Sony's Grover Crisp for its 45th Anniversary theatrical and blu-ray release, and Lord Jim is also currently on Sony's restoration front burner for next year as well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/325135/where-are-these-roadshows#post_4000362
Where is "Oliver!" ????

I thought I read somewhere it's coming out in 2013, too. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Disney's got a roadshow of The Happiest Millionaire that I would be first in line to order if it was to be released on Blu.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Larry-Bender said:
OK this has been brought up before, but let us do an update. Here is a list of roadshows that I would like to see on blu.
STAR!
DOCTOR DOLITTLE
HELLO DOLLY- spring 2013.
AGONY AND ECTASY-2014
HAWAII --- FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD D
LORD JIM
FUNNY GIRL-2013
GOODBYE MR CHIPS
SWEET CHARITY
RYANS DAUGHTER 2013?
LION IN WINTER----- KHARTOUM ------- FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE E
Would like to see these on blu. The Agony and the Ecstasy looks very good in HD. Too bad the movie was made before they cleaned the Sistine Chapel ceiling!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What is a roadshow edition or what makes it different from the non RS version?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The running time of a roadshow engagement was also extended usually by an overture, intermission music, and exit music. All of these musical interludes would be cut when the film went out for general release, and sometimes the film itself would be shortened, too (easy to do in musicals by lopping off some musical numbers much to the dismay of those of us who wanted to see the film again but missed some favorite numbers).

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Plus, Roadshows usually played at only one theater per city and sometimes as as long as 2 years. The theaters were heavily decorated with posters and large photos and dsiplays for the film. Tickets could be purchased at the box office or ticket centers around town which also advertised the film. The theaters sold expensive candy and no popcorn, it was a class act all the way

Basically a Roadshow was the same as a Broadway show with the main difference being watching film instead of a live performance

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/325135/where-are-these-roadshows#post_4000401

I thought I read somewhere it's coming out in 2013, too. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part!
2013 is the 45th Anniversary of this 1968 Best Picture Oscar winner...if Sony's marketing department and Mr. Crisp have "Oliver!" on their front burner, it won't be wishful thinking...they've already announced "Funny Girl" for this coming year, which is also a 1968 release...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/325135/where-are-these-roadshows#post_4001424
2013 is the 45th Anniversary of this 1968 Best Picture Oscar winner...if Sony's marketing department and Mr. Crisp have "Oliver!" on their front burner, it won't be wishful thinking...they've already announced "Funny Girl" for this coming year, which is also a 1968 release...

I'd be really surprised if they didn't do something with Oliver! next year. Other than 1776, it's the last major Columbia musical that hasn't been confirmed for Blu-ray. And their musicals seem to be a high priority, seeing how this year we got Annie, Bye Bye Birdie, Cover Girl and Lost Horizon.

Humm

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry Saley
If I am not mistaken, the Robert Wise film "Star" opened with a roadshow engagement,, but did poorly. Before it made it to general release, the studio pulled it back, chopped it up horribly, and gave it the nutty title, "Those Were the Happy Times". Fortunately, the film - which is rather good - can be seen on DVD the way it was meant to be presented.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
MattH. said:
The running time of a roadshow engagement was also extended usually by an overture, intermission music, and exit music. All of these musical interludes would be cut when the film went out for general release, and sometimes the film itself would be shortened, too (easy to do in musicals by lopping off some musical numbers much to the dismay of those of us who wanted to see the film again but missed some favorite numbers).
Whether or not the music and other parts would be cut varied greatly on the film itself. For example, to my knowledge all theatrical releases of Ben-hur conformed exactly to the original roadshow release.

JosephGC

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Coco
Larry-Bender said:
I would add that "roadshows" were often shown in 70mm.
Only from 1950s on. Early roadshows (1920s thru 50s) did not have 70mm.

JosephGC

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Coco
rsmithjr said:
Whether or not the music and other parts would be cut varied greatly on the film itself. For example, to my knowledge all theatrical releases of Ben-hur conformed exactly to the original roadshow release.
A shorten 3 hr version of BEN HUR (no intermission, oveture and complete pre title opening sequence removed) was made available for subrun markets. I saw this version in 1969 after the 70mm re-release roadshow ended.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
rsmithjr said:
No, I saw a theatrical release of Ben-Hur long after the roadshow run that ran just under three hours. I'm not sure what else was cut, but I remember that there was no nativity prologue. The MGM lion's roar went directly into the title credits. Of the roadshow films longer than three hours, I know that Gone With the Wind and The Ten Commandments were famously touted as being "intact and uncut." Most others were fair game for the scissors at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks