What's new

Where are the film series collections??? (1 Viewer)

Thaellar

Agent
Real Name
Craig
Please, please, please.........we need the following series released on DVD!

Andy Hardy
Boston Blackie
Blondie
the Falcon
the Saint
Maisie
Torchy Blane
Dr Kildare
The Lone Wolf
Tim Holt Westerns

I'm sure I missed some other good ones.

Let's get moving...these are perfect for series set releases.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I totally agree, but we're in a minority that's getting smaller with each passing year.

Now it's almost another new decade, and asking for something from the 1940's would be like, back in the 1960's, asking for something from the 1890's. Do you know how old these things sound to kids today?

However, I guess one should never give up hope. I saw a set of all 66 Hopalong Cassidy movies at Sam's Club!

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
"Do you know how old these things sound to kids today?"

I don't thing kids are the target audience for classic film. Don't think they are in 2010, don't think they were in 2000 either.
On the other hand, I do think classics withstand the test of time. Look at classical music. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart are considered "Old" but they can still pack Powell Hall when the St Louis Symphony plays them.

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Thaellar,

Great question. And don't forget The Whistler and The Crime Doctor!

To my way of thinking, if it can be done with the Mr. Moto series (which in no way is some kind of American Institution, as is Charlie Chan), it can be done with some of these.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I wasn't implying that kids would want them. Of course they wouldn't. I was trying to give an analogy to make us realize just how long ago the 1940's are now. They're to a kid what the 1890's were to me when I was a kid, and that sounded very, very ancient.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
I'd just like to SEE the 'Henry Aldrich' films, much less have realized the far-out notion of them ever being released on DVD.

Real Name
Kevin
I've bought the Finnish release of The Falcon series, the French release of the Saint series and...ummm..."unofficial" versions of The Kildare series (8 of the 9 films), all 16 of the Falcon films and all 13 of the Henry Aldrich films. If I wait for the U.S. companies to release them, I'll probably be in a nursing home.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think the Warner controlled series will be part of the MOD Warner Archive like the Lex Barker and Gordon Scott Tarzan films.

These would include:

Andy Hardy (MGM)
Maisie(MGM)
Torchy Blane(Warner Bros)
Dr Kildare (MGM)
the Falcon (RKO)
the Saint (RKO)
Perry Mason (Warner)
Hildegarde Withers (RKO)
Philo Vance (Warner Bros)
Bowery Boys (Monogram)

Of course the first Andy Hardy to feature Judy Garland, "Love Finds Andy Hardy" is already on pressed DVD.

I wish TCM would do a regular weekly slot for the series films they control, say on Saturday mornings. They have run some serials at that time like the Superman serials. I think they have started or will soon start to show the Bowery Boys films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks