What's new

Where are the Danny Kaye films from the Samuel Goldwyn studio? (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There's a thread on the TV Shows section asking the whereabouts on DVD of Danny Kaye's 1963-67 TV variety show. That got me thinking: what about Kaye's hit movies made by Samuel Goldwyn? Early in the DVD era there were a few releases (most notably the now OOP The Secret Life of Walter Mitty), but go to any video store you can't find Mitty or any other of his classic Goldwyn titles, like:
Wonder Man
Up In Arms
The Kid From Brooklyn
A Song Is Born
It's no secret that the entire Goldwyn catalog is not well represented on DVD (where's Wurthering Heights, These Three, Raffles, My Foolish Heart, and the so-bad-it's-good Goldwyn Follies?), but considering that Kaye was Goldwyn's biggest box-office attraction in the 40s, it is a shock that most of his Goldwyn films aren't available on disc. I do think that as a result Danny Kaye is fast becoming something of a forgotten man regarding the field of comedy in cinema. The release of his Goldwyn films to a new generation will lead to a resurgence of sort. MGM/Sony has the DVD rights to the Goldwyn catalog, so why keep us waiting?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I wholeheartedly agree we need more Danny Kaye on DVD. Since MGM has distributed (through Fox) some Goldwyn titles this year (the ones starring Gary Cooper), I am hoping they will devote a complete boxset to the fabulously talented Mr. Kaye. That would be tremendous.:)
And we also need his best and funniest (and most seldom-seen) film ever, KNOCK ON WOOD, but that one rests with Paramount.....If it was better known, it would probably make the lists of best comedies ever.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Let's not forget the other big Goldwyn MIA title, John Ford's 1937 film, THE HURRICANE. Who owns these now? MGM/Sony/Fox?

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
yes, the recent spate of Cooper releases gives me hope that we'll see a lot more Goldwyns in the near future--These Three and Wuthering Heights are absolute musts, along with the Kaye vehicles, but there are a whole bunch of other Goldwyn titles that I got to know through VHS that I'd like to see on DVD in the near future--i.e. I Want You, Splendor, They Shall Have Music, Goldwyn Follies (which I really love, in spite of itself!), and a host of films starring the sadly-underrepresented-on-DVD Merle Oberon (Dark Angel, Beloved Enemy, Lydia--that's Korda, but the Goldwyn distributors used to have the rights to it)

bring 'em on!

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Jefty said:
yes, the recent spate of Cooper releases gives me hope that we'll see a lot more Goldwyns in the near future--These Three and Wuthering Heights are absolute musts, along with the Kaye vehicles, but there are a whole bunch of other Goldwyn titles that I got to know through VHS that I'd like to see on DVD in the near future--i.e. I Want You, Splendor, They Shall Have Music, Goldwyn Follies (which I really love, in spite of itself!), and a host of films starring the sadly-underrepresented-on-DVD Merle Oberon (Dark Angel, Beloved Enemy, Lydia
I couldn't agree more. These Three and Wuthering Heights top my list of wanted Goldwyn films, along with the Kaye films. And I am also a fan of the others you mentioned as well as My Foolish Heart (Susan Hayward also being woefully under-represented on DVD!).

Charles H

Screenwriter
Also Bob Hope's OOP THEY'VE GOT ME COVERED....both versions of RAFFLES, all the Ronald Colman films (BULLDOG DRUMMOND, CONDEMNED, CYNARA, etc.), the Eddie Cantor films (WHOOPEE!, PALMY DAYS, the once announced and aprubtly -cancelled KID MILLIONS, THE KID FROM SPAIN, STRIKE ME PINK, ROMAN SCANDALS), and OUR VERY OWN. On August 8, TCM is showing a picture called EDGE OF DOOM with Dana Andrews and Farley Granger. It's a provocative film that hasn't been shown in years: some think it may be the most depressing film noir ever produced.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
Charles H said:
Also Bob Hope's OOP THEY'VE GOT ME COVERED....both versions of RAFFLES, all the Ronald Colman films (BULLDOG DRUMMOND, CONDEMNED, CYNARA, etc.), the Eddie Cantor films (WHOOPEE!, PALMY DAYS, the once announced and aprubtly -cancelled KID MILLIONS, THE KID FROM SPAIN, STRIKE ME PINK, ROMAN SCANDALS), and OUR VERY OWN. On August 8, TCM is showing a picture called EDGE OF DOOM with Dana Andrews and Farley Granger. It's a provocative film that hasn't been shown in years: some think it may be the most depressing film noir ever produced.
I second all of your motions Charles! (and also CK's nomination of My Foolish Heart--more Susan Hayward is definitely in order--i.e. where's I'll Cry Tomorrow? I just read the book, by the way... it's an unusually affecting showbiz bio, even when you know what's coming!)
god how I wish TCM existed in Quebec! I've wanted to see Edge of Doom for Ages!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Also 2 Robert Donat films " The Ghost Goes West" and "Knight Without Honour"

There are so many films released by Goldwyn that are not on DVD.

Perhaps the films are in bad shape and can't be released on DVD. Though some not currently available have been on DVD before, released by HBO, when they had the rights.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I wonder if his 100th birthday event will finally see a release of some of Danny Kaye's many locked-away classics. I know the dvd-r archive came out with one last year, but there are a handful of great films -- or at least great performances by DK -- that have never been released on dvd or have been oop for nearly 10 years. What will it take to get some action on this -- do we need to petition Dena for it? Who owns the Goldwyn library ?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Goldwyn Family owns it and leases it to Warner Bros these days. Try Warner Facebook or Twitter pages with your queries. They do answer reasonably quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks