What's new

Where are the Anchorman reviews? (1 Viewer)

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
The Best Buy bonus DVD contains:

Today's Headlines
Special Report
Commercial Break
Ron Burgundy Exclusive

I haven't watched any of the bonus disc, I'm just finishing up the bonuses on the unrated disc.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
The picture quality on both the first Anchorman and Wake up Ron Burgundy is pretty bad. I guess it's due to the amount of extras crammed on each disc.

Having watched both, if I had known how bad Wake Up Ron Burgundy was, I wouldn't have paid the extra money for it. It's really not worth it, and most of the scenes were cut from the original for good reason. Most of it either wasn't funny, or was a different take on a joke from the first film. A bad voice over is the only thing attempting to link the scenes together. It just doesn't make much sense.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think it was that bad. A serviceable little comedy on it's own. I had a couple big laughs. But what really makes that disc great are the extras on it. Really good stuff. Think of "Wake Up Ron Burgundy" as simply another bonus feature on what is essentially the 2nd of a 2-disc Special Edition. Because it basically really is a long deleted scenes reel.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
I'm loving Wake Up Ron Burgundy.

This is the ultimate set for any Will Ferrell lover. There are so many extras, it's amazing!!!

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
From the looks of the Best Buy bonus disc, the extras are mostly alternate cuts. And some behind the scenes digital camera shots.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I also got Shrek 2 late. Never received Collateral and only got a check disc of Terminal - never received final product, but at least I got the 2-DVD version! No sign of Anchorman yet, but they did send GITS2. Didn't request it, don't want it, but I have it! :rolleyes

Shockingly, they happily sent Surviving Christmas.

I've had no problems with New Line - ROTK came later than I'd have liked, but at least it came. DreamWorks has gotten to be a real pain lately, though...

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Watched Anchorman on my folks' 60" Toshiba LCD set and it looked (and sounded) great. Not reference, but hell, it's ANCHORMAN.

Only made it through a bit of "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy," but there are some good laughs to be found, continuity problems be damned.

But for a movie with so many extra features (and "Wake Up" has a ton of them, from audition footage to very funny improv rehearsal scenes), where the hell is the freakin' trailer?!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone listened to the commentary on the unrated version yet? Right from the beginning Ferrell and the director try to cuss as many different ways as they possibly can(since it is the unrated version) and it's one of the funniest commentaries I've ever listened to. Seriously, I was laughing so hard I had to stop it so I could catch my breath. Oddly enough, though, a lot of the words were bleeped out which I found a little strange since the disc is UNRATED. Definitely worth a listen. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Brent,

Listen to the audio intro to Wake Up Ron Burgendy with Will Ferrel and one of the producers. This one is the keeper. It's like a mini-commentary but you will NOT belive the twist they put in it. One of my favorite extra's of all time. I was laughing so hard I could'nt breath.

"I produced a little film, you may have heard of it...The Godfather."

"Really? So if I watch the Godfather your name will be in the credits?"

"Well it was really New Jack City."

BenjaminBirdie

Auditioning
As far as the PQ issues on the "Uncut" version go, I think there's something significantly wrong with the transfer. If you'll notice, things like the inset images during the newscasts (The "Bark Bark Bark" Dog, for example) and all the screens during the opening credits, get cut off slightly at the edge of the image. At least on my 30" Toshiba WS HDTV. It looks like a half inch or so is missing from each side of the image, almost as if the picture was zoomed ever so slightly, which would explain the fuzziness and color issues. Wake Up, while not reference quality, didn't seem to have any such issues. After switching between the two discs, I noticed a significant qualitative difference immediately. I'm wondering if the PG-13 transfer was done correctly.

Am I just imagining things here?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

I listened to parts of it. The telephone conversation between Christina Applegate and the director and Will Ferrell near the end was truly bizarre. I realize they were kidding(well, I'm 95% certain they were), but they played it about as straight as they could. Andy Kaufman would've been impressed.

With regards to the transfer, I haven't watched Wake Up, Ron Burgundy yet, but Anchorman Unrated looks like crap. For a new movie that's only 98 minutes long, there's no excuse for it to look this poor. Especially when you compare it to a DVD like Dodgeball which had a terrific transfer, was roughly the same length, and also had a fair number of extras(including the aforementioned trailers) on just one disc.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just because i was watching it on a 22-inch CRT but the image looks fine to me...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
here's what I posted a weak ago in the other thread.

"So everyone knows by now that the wake up ron burgundy is for sale the same time as the regular version.
in fact it is twin packed with the unrated version.

i'm watching the unrated version now.
the commentary is a riot.
it just consists mostly of wil and i think adam mckay just cursing as much as possible.
they dont even mention anything about the movie for at least 10 minutes.
all they do is try to curse as many different ways as they can.

strange thing is that it is censored.
most of the time the f-word is used it is bleeped, but not everytime.
and another word:
COCK
is also censored(bleeped).
not complaining, just making an observation.

somebady just said,
"is that the chick from married with children?"
this is a weird commentary.
twenty minutes in andy richter shows up on the commentary for some reason. then paul rudd calls in to talk too.
apparently there are other surprise guests later on.
i wont give them away."

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Wake Up, Ron Burgundy, is pretty good. I didn't realise that they had shot a different storyline and completly cut it out. It also has quite a few more SNL cast members. And also Chuck D was in it which was...unusual.

Also, I dont know why people were expecting a wholly coherent movie cobbled out of deleted scenes.

"Say it! Say Champ Burgundy!" ;)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the bonus features for Disc 1, and yeah--just think of this as a 2 disc special edition, and "Wake Up Ron Burgundy" as a super long deleted scenes reel, and you should be happy--because the Wake Up disc has--by FAR--the better extras. I had almost as much fun watching the audition footage, the playback footage, the rehearsals and the raw takes as I did watching both "Wake Up" and "Anchorman" Themselves. I still haven't even really cracked the commentaries, save for the 15 minute commentary at the beginning of "Wake Up."

That thing killed me, by the way. There's a part, just after Ferrell has gotten the guy to admit he's not really a producer, where the guy's laughter kind of slowly winds down, and then, after a pause, for no reason, he says:

"BRERAAHAHAHERRRGHH!!"

And then he's silent again.

I had to rewind that.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, what is in the unrated movie that wasn't in the theatrical version? I want to know if it's ok to get for my 16-year-old nephew.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Except for the extended F word scene, I would say the unrated version would still get a PG-13. I think the "erection" scene went on a little longer also.
No nudity, IIRC.

I started Wake Up and thought it was an excellent bonus for fans of the film. What a unique extra.

The still changed the best part in the trailer (and wasn't in the regular movie).
Burgundy - How's the wife and kids?
Parnell(Gus?) - Not good, she's leaving me
Burgundy(not missing a beat) - Terrific

They changed the last line to a very unfunny, "I have no time for you".

Doug

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I went to BestBuy, and saw two versions, one was a 1-disc version ($24.99) and the other was 2 seperate discs in 2 seperate cases for $35.99 (prices in Canadian Dollars).

Is the WAKE UP RON BURGUNDY special the one with two seperate discs? I always thought it was an extra 'disc-2' to a 2-disc set rather than a 'bonus' disc... dunno if that made much sense... but damn... $35.99?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Alright, as long as there's no nudity, I don't think his mother will kill me. Thank you, Doug.

Nick, Wake Up Ron Burgandy is packaged on a separate disc in its own Amaray with additional features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks