What's new

Where are all the back catalog titles? (1 Viewer)

neeb

Grip
Real Name
Gabriel
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

Crazy. Did they think that Warner just wasn't going to notice that this stuff was getting dumped all over the marketplace?
Possibly. There's no guarantee anyone from Warners' corporate shops at Big Lots.
They were probably reading internet postings.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Business wise it makes more sense to destroy and depreciate these discs in contrast to sell them off for a nickel or two.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I also understand that a lot of the dumped titles were returns from Circuit City and other stores that went out of business the past year.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by ahollis

Now the Big Lots story comes out.

Warner Home Video is suing a California-based company called IWMB for not only failing to destroy hundreds of thousands of excess DVD product, but also for secretly selling the titles to third parties at cut-rate prices. The studio says the end result was a flood of DVDs being sold for prices far below market value. Warners is seeking $10 million in damages from the company. In fact, Warners did not hire IWMB to destroy the product - the company was subcontracted by DVD replicator Cinram, which apparently was unaware of the alleged scheme. According to the suit, IWMB provided Cinram with false documentation indicating that the DVDs had been destroyed when, in fact, they had been sold to other parties who retailed them to the public. Warners estimates that at least 750,000 DVDs were illegally sold into the marketplace. The suit does not name the third parties who allegedly bought them. Warners is seeking a jury trial. Home Video Magazine reports that IWMB president Cal Jones, who is personally named in the suit, has not responded to requests for comments.
Makes sense. Warner's intent in having them get destroyed was to not undercut their market value. They have been heavily damaged by this deception, as evidenced by people on this very forum now hesitant to spend more than $5/DVD.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm on an 80's kick after picking up Screwballs, Spring Break and Harbodies recently. I think I have most of the better-known teen sex comedies of the era but I can't seem to find the special edition versions of Valley Girl or The Sure Thing. I'm fairly certain both were released packed with extras, however the copies I've seen on the shelves at Best Buy only have trivia tracks. Anyone know if these were recalled?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Not recalled, but rather re-released with budget offerings. You'll have to hit the secondhand market for the special editions as they are all OOP.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I remember reading years ago, that more CD's were destroyed than sold. They stop selling, are deleted, shops want the space for new stuff, & it costs money to warehouse them. So the same with DVD's I don't think selling them off dirt cheap does anyone any good, not the owners or the shops, & the people who buy them cheap couldn't have wanted them that much, or they would have bought them before they were deleted.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
An answer: http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?p=732823

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks