What's new

When Will The Powerpuff Girls DVDs start being released season by season? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I was just wondering because I was thinking about ordering a couple of these. But when I saw they were in various kind of themed collections, I was set back. What are the chances they'll release this great show season by season?

~Kevin

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
What are the chances they'll release this great show season by season?
It's from Warner Brothers, and it's a kids show.
Hmmm, not lookin' real good, is it?
Let's see how they handle Batman: The Animated Series first. If they pull a "Friends" and release BTAS in season sets, or maybe they do this with Scooby-Doo, then PPG have a fighting chance. Otherwise, don't hold your breath, is my opinion. :frowning:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The question is this: is it absolutely necessary to release shows like POWERPUFF GIRLS in season sets? There's no story continuity to speak of. Also, the main audience for these releases is kids. Kids don't particularly care if they episodes they see are in order. I think we need to pick our fights. Flame on!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I tend to agree with you where SOME kids shows are concerned. In other cases, you're dead wrong IMHO.

B:TAS appeals to kids and adults both. It has story arcs and progression, and it matters to present the entire set of stories - in order and with begin, middle, and end - for the audience to appreciate the series fully. Skipping around with best-of set minimalizes that enjoyment, and reduces it back to strictly kiddy-fare. Why would the studio want to limit the audience that way?

Scooby-Doo is a different kettle of fish. It's considered a true classic, that went through many incarnations, and which many adults look back onto very fondly and wish for their kids to share and enjoy with. Season-by-season in-order sets would help eliminate confusion and allow owners to feel completeness. "I know without a doubt that my favorite episodes are in their somewhere!"...that sort of a sense of nostalgia and sharing.

I don't own PPG's and don't intend to, myself. Kevin wants to enjoy this series, for himself or someone he knows, and that person wants to feel the same sense of completeness in owning the entire series. There's no reason to minimalize his desires, even if we disagree with them.

AND...WB's needs to stop treating cartoons as a distinctly different entity when it comes to issues like OAR and Season-By-Season sets. Isn't that why tons of South Park fans are pissed at them right now?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Themed sets? Not even. They are more or less best of collections. What they could use for neophytes is some kind of first appearances collection that would include the first episodes with characters like Fuzzy Lumpkins, Him, and Sedusa. Of course, releasing everything chronologically would be OK, too. :)
Regards,

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Ken is correct. It's more like the best of on each disk. I own all four disks. While it would be nice if Warner would release them by season. This is one that I would prefer to remain as it is. I follow the series on a regular basis and like all series some just aren't that funny. However, that's not to say I wouldn't buy a boxset if it was released.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for season box sets for cartoons. I don't like how WB plans on releasing B:TAS or Justice League on DVD. I never followed B:TAS when it was on, but have downloaded some recorded episodes, and can't wait for the day WB puts them out in box sets. Now, with Justice League...I'm infactuated with this show. I don't like how WB is planning to put the disc's out in "arcs". All eps so far have been 2 or 3 parters. I'm hoping that what they do, is get the first 3 eps which were originally edited together to be a "movie" out on DVD like they plan, then after the 1st season is over with, put out a box set. I can hope. Same goes with Samurai Jack. Er...Spongebob too :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
B:TAS is a different matter. There is definite story continuity that would be missed were the show not released in seasons. PPG has no such continuity. I was speaking merely of PPG and not other series. As long as all the episodes get an eventual release, I don't see that order matters in the least for PPG.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
With the last dvd being released with a virus, I would like to know if there has been a re-issue.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'd like season-by-season, but I think the best we can hope for is virii-free editions. :P
-Dave

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'd buy these in a heart beat in season sets. Same goes for Dexter's Lab! I've got about half of DL on dvd-r and as soon as I'm done I'm going for PPG and then Samurai Jack. Warner could save me some time and money if they'd just release them all in season box sets!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I picked up the Japanese R2 set of PPG. It came in a nice metal lunchbox with a bunch of other crap. It includes all the episodes, I haven't checked to see what order they are in. Also picked up all the Tom & Jerry eps too. Too bad the scope eps where 4:3 though.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I agree, shows like Power Puff don't really need to be in box sets. Samurai Jack, Justice League, Batman, Superman, TMNT, Thundercats, He-Man, etc are a different story alltogether

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think it would be simpler if they just released every TV series in season box sets. While PPG isn't on my short list, if I can't buy the complete thing, I'm likely not to buy it at all.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
For those that don't think PPG can be adult oriented you need to pick up the PPG Meet The Beat-Alls dvd. The entire show has references to The Beatles and even a ton of lyrics as dialog, very funny. Also there are a couple of very funny commentaries. One with the mayor of townsville and one with Mojo Jojo. Also includes some of the great Cartoon Network interstitials and a music video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.