What's new

When will Robinson Crusoe On Mars be released? (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Perhaps when the Speilberg/Cruise version of War of the Worlds (SUMMER 2005) is released Paramount will release some of their catalogue Sci-Fi titles.

ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS
THE ATOMIC CITY
PHASE IV (1974)
PROJECT X (1968)
CRACK IN THE WORLD

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
DVD Savant has just hinted there may be an SE of War of the Worlds on the way (hopefully with the LD stereo audio tracks)
Are we talking about the old "War of the Worlds"????? ;)

I'll take "Crack in the World" & "Phase IV" in a NY minute! :D

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just read this over at the Bits:

"By the way, we've heard Paramount's finally looking into Robinson Crusoe on Mars at least, so cross your fingers."

I've got my fingers crossed!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rant]Ulla![/rant] Yeah watch out for a whole slew of Mars themed releases next summer to coincide with Spielberg's blockbuster 're-imagining' of HG Wells War of the Worlds.
A remastered special edition of George Pal's 1953 classic would be nice.:)

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
Looks like a fun movie.

The only way War of the Worlds '53 could be improved upon is by setting a new movie in the same time as the original novel.

Where's the missing Warner post? It's almost like it was removed because someone knows I liked it.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

Obviously, Paramount has something against this film. Paramount never even released it on laserdisc, and after Criterion did, Paramount promptly terminated their license agreement which kept Criterion from selling any more than their first pressing.

I would be surprised to ever see this title on DVD.
__________________________________________________ ________

I thought the same thing when the rights to the 1959 version of BEN-HUR were acquired by Warner Brothers from MGM and who initially showed a high degree of skepticism about releasing it on DVD because the powers-that-be considered to be "...not a very good movie" (imagine that!), but eventually did that very thing after finding out that indeed that was a movie to be reckoned with, one that had a sizeable following.

Paramount would do well to listen to us and release RCOM on DVD pronto!... :cool:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Paramount's inexplicable reluctance to work with this title is strange, especially given the enormous popularity far more obscure films are enjoying on DVD. Just never could understand it. And now, with many Earthlings experiencing Mars Fever thanks to Spirit and Opportunity and Mars Express, why not capitalize on this utterly charming tale of a Bradbury-esque Mars with spring-like evenings and wild alien landscapes?

I sincerely hope that Paramount is planning to transfer this film to DVD.

(Look, I just received the DVD release of 1959's The Alligator People. If such a corny Z-flick like that gets to see light of DVD day, why not a genuinely good little movie like Robinson Crusoe on Mars?)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Is there "rights" problems with the title? Or maybe it just does not fit in with Paramount's marketing plans?

In any case I believe it would sell very well. But if Paramount in the end does not release it I still have the Criterion LD to watch.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IMDB doesn't list any sountrack entries and I don't remember the music from my last viewing many years ago. So I can't conclude that it isn't a music rights problem.

The highpoint of the supplement is the collection of illustrated excerpts from Ib Melchior's original screenplay. The Melchior script established the finished film's basic structure, but was padded to another hour or so by the inclusion of a whole menagerie of Martian monsters that the hero must confront as he goes about his other business.
The above is from Doug Pratt's laserdisc review. Do you think Paramount would find it in their hearts to include this on a future DVD?

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
Is there any recent information on this being released on DVD. I just saw it for the first time in a while on AMC at 5 in the morning and I wish they would release it on DVD. Thanks

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well, Paramount have finally saw the sense in releasing Danger: Diabolik with a commentary, so this gem might not be too far away. I saw it myself in widescreen recently and it is a beautiful film. Not perfect, not mind-blowing, but very charming and thought-provoking.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
(even the relative clunkers, like When Worlds Collide!

Julian, this was no clunker. It was done by the great George Pal. I really hope Spielberg does War of the Worlds justice. I hope it's not another Independance Day. Knowing he grew up seeing this in the movies, like I, he should be true to the story.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
I was really hoping that Spielberg was going to make War of the Worlds when it took place,at the turn of the century, with the tripods and all.
BTW,anyone remember that Australian tv show...TRIPODS? Would love to see that out on dvd. Remember it was on PBS,many years ago.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Australian? How dare you sir! The finest the British Broadcasting Company can produce (shaky scenery and all)
I'm sorry John, I thought it was Australian. I think the production company was Fremantle. I know there is a Fremantle in Australia, that's why I figured it was Australian.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
anyone remember the design of the Tripods (turn of the century setting) from the CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED comic?

and call me crazy, but I am sure I read in an interview long ago-before Martin Blythe, where the Paramount interviewee claimed that the RCOM negatives were burned in a fire and could not be recovered-this AFTER the Criterion disc was available...anyone elses memory jogged?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks