What's new

When Will John Sturges The Satan Bug Be Released On Region 1 DVD? (1 Viewer)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Yes, great film. Very cool opening titles.

My favourite scene is where Basehart is describing the Satan Bug: "within moments, everyone in this room would be dead. In an hour, California would be a tomb...nothing, nothing can stop it"

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Does anyone know if The Satan Bug will be anamorphic widescreen in the proper aspect ratio? Was The Satan Bug shot in 2:35 to 1 screen ratio?

Thanks!

Robert

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MCCLOUD

Does anyone know if The Satan Bug will be anamorphic widescreen in the proper aspect ratio? Was The Satan Bug shot in 2:35 to 1 screen ratio?

Thanks!

Robert

I sure do hope so. With MGM/Fox it is your guess. They have been hit and miss for several years and the Amazon collection was some yes and most no. I am going to wait to order until I hear some reviews.

The Satan Bug was filmed in Panavision with the 2:35 to 1 ratio and I am sure it will presented in the proper ratio as the laserdisc was, but I do hope it is anamorphic. This film along with The Hawaiians are really the only two from this group of titles that I want, but I want them anamorphic. Hears to hoping.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If it is not an anamorphic transfer, there are going to be some horrendous aliasing problems to deal with in viewing. Even with anamorphic enhancement, there will likely be some artifacts with a standard resolution image, but without it, prepare for the worst. (I say this because I made a DVD-R copy off either TCM or the Fox Movie Channel - can't remember which one), and all of the fences were alive with jaggies.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH.

If it is not an anamorphic transfer, there are going to be some horrendous aliasing problems to deal with in viewing. Even with anamorphic enhancement, there will likely be some artifacts with a standard resolution image, but without it, prepare for the worst. (I say this because I made a DVD-R copy off either TCM or the Fox Movie Channel - can't remember which one), and all of the fences were alive with jaggies.

I remember that the laserdisc had some problems and they would have been really annoying if the movie was not so good.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Release date for "The Satan Bug" on TCM website is 12-29-10
That may be the "Release" date posted, but my order won't SHIP until 2/2/11!

Has anyone found another source for ordering. I'd like to get it in my hands FASTER! I'll cancel my TCM order if I can get it elsewhere faster. Thanks for your help.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Besides TCM/Movies Unlimited - Movies Unlimited is handling the TCM orders, I think - I haven't found another source for the MGM MOD discs and yes, the upcoming batch of new titles, was apparently pushed back to 02/02/2011.

Originally Posted by Jeff_HR

Release date for "The Satan Bug" on TCM website is 12-29-10
That may be the "Release" date posted, but my order won't SHIP until 2/2/11!

Has anyone found another source for ordering. I'd like to get it in my hands FASTER! I'll cancel my TCM order if I can get it elsewhere faster. Thanks for your help.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by ahollis

Thanks!

Robert

I sure do hope so. With MGM/Fox it is your guess. They have been hit and miss for several years and the Amazon collection was some yes and most no. I am going to wait to order until I hear some reviews.

The Satan Bug was filmed in Panavision with the 2:35 to 1 ratio and I am sure it will presented in the proper ratio as the laserdisc was, but I do hope it is anamorphic. This film along with The Hawaiians are really the only two from this group of titles that I want, but I want them anamorphic. Hears to hoping.

[/QUOTE]

Has there been a disc released last bunch of years, that wasn't just a repack, not been anamorphic?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TonyD

Thanks!

Robert

[/QUOTE]

Has there been a disc released last bunch of years, that wasn't just a repack, not been anamorphic?

Yep - MGM/Amazon Exclusive - The Best Man, Fitzwilly, The Group, Cold Turkey, Two For A Seesaw and House Of Long Shadows just to name a few and these were released earlier this year. The scary part is that this was the trial test for the MGM/Fox recently announced. The Universal/Amazon program included The Chalk Garden non-anamorphic.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Those are Amazon mod's?

I never even looked there to see what movies were available.

Guess that wasn't a successful offering from Amazon?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TonyD

Those are Amazon mod's?

I never even looked there to see what movies were available.

Guess that wasn't a successful offering from Amazon?
MGM/Amazon ended up releasing 42 titles and White Buffalo was an excellent transfer along with The Offense. I think that it was pretty successful in that they are continuing to release MOD's but increase where they are offered. Another complete bastardization was the transfer of THE GLORY GUYS. Colors were good and it was widescreen, but again non-anamorphic. This one was really irritating since it was a pretty good western to begin with.

orlandobond

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Skillman
Check out Screen Archive, Oldies.com Movies Unlimited... they have the full line of new classics from MGM, Warner and Sony, more to come

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks