What's new

When might a new server be in place? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall reading here that enough donations were made to cover the cost of a new server for the HTF. That's great news. When might we expect a new server to be in place? I couldn't access the search function a little while ago due to "high server load", which prompted me to ask the question about the new server.
By the way, I think remaining donations being turned over to help the relief effort in New York City was a great gesture.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on September 18, 2001 at 06:45 PM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I don't think that they did do that, and anyways If people decide to put their money towards a cause I don't think you can just decide to place that money in another cause at will.
Aaron

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would estimate the second week of October,
though in no way is this a gurantee.
We just ordered the server today from Dell.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
So, For the benefit of us nosey bitheads... Whatja order?
Is Dell now going to sell a "limited collectors edition PowerEdge-HTF" -- I'm thinking an HTF logo on the front, and a bezel signed and numbered by you and Parker. (Soon to sell on e-bay for double the price) I assume it includes a DVD Drive.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Joe

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I think you should post a picture of the cool new server once it's installed so we can really see where our donations (and our posts) are really going towards! :)
Besides, the next best thing to cool HT gear is cool computer gear! Might as well flaunt it!
biggrin.gif

KJP

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll have Parker answer the rest of your questions.
Thanks
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron said:
I don't think that they did do that, and anyways If people decide to put their money towards a cause I don't think you can just decide to place that money in another cause at will.
I thought of that, but someone started a thread here suggesting that remaining money be sent to a disaster relief fund, and I thought I read that was going to be done. Maybe I am wrong. It wouldn't bother me if remaining money were donated to such a great cause.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Take this thread for example.
Is there anyway of adding software that prevents the page from expanding to the point of having to move it left and right to read it?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ok,
First off we are getting a Dell server. It is a model 2550 with dual Pentium III 1.26G CPU with 512K of cache, 2G of 133Mhz ECC RAM, 4 18.1G 10k SCSI hard drives (all hot swap), RAID 5 dual channel with 128M of RAM, dual hot swap power supplies, 10/100/1G NIC built in with CD ROM and floppy.
Here is a Link Removed to the basic server and what it looks like.
The server is getting ordered tomorrow. It will have to get set up and the software, etc. loaded before we take it live. I will be working on getting this up and running after we get back from LA 1st week in October if all goes well.
Yes, the extra monies that we took in up to the date of the tragedy on the 11th we are banking for possible future upgrades, etc. All donations after that date are asked to be directed to the relief and support efforts on going for all agencies involved with our nations time of great need.
Reginald:
quote: Is there anyway of adding software that prevents the page from expanding to the point of having to move it left and right to read it?[/quote]
Not with UBB there isn't a way.
Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
vBulletin is something that we are seriously looking into go back with as the present version appears to be very stable and in the case of long hyperlinks (that is the cause of the pages being so wide) vBulletin truncates these file listings to be shortened. That doesn't mean that it completely eliminates pages getting loaded that are very wide but it does cut on the number of times this happens.
Parker

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I hope you're right about it being up by the 2nd week in October. You're going to need it on 10/16 for TPM. :)
Glenn

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
You're going to need it on 10/16 for TPM.
Yeah, really! Not to mention the new Book Forum...
wink.gif

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks