What's new

When is Spring Break. Need to avoid those dates for vacation. (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Whenever we plan a vacation in the spring, we try to avoid spring break. Last year, we must of hit right on it because Disneyland and Legoland end up having a lot young ones on weekdays. It was crowded.

So I need your help. Planning on going to Disneyland again this spring and need to avoid all spring break week(s).

Is April 18-22nd safe?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well all colleges can have different spring breaks, as well as public school systems. Seems my college's SB is April 14-18.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Well, for me it technically starts on March 14th, but Friday the 11th is earlier. So yeah, you have a very wide range of dates floating around.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I used to live in Daytona, and the crowds start with race weeks in early February with Spring Breaks starting immediately after (Canada first). As stated, all high schools and colleges seem to stagger them, so it pretty much goes on and on....

I recall the best time was October/early November. No crowds and still very decent weather. I remember hanging on the beach getting a tan the day before I flew to Boston for Thanksgiving ! That was a long time ago, so things may have changed....

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Dustin, you don't want to book it that week you mentioned. It is a nightmare. Our best success has been to avoid both March and April. May is outstanding because it is only one month before school lets out and it is right after everyone has those spring vacations. If you don't have school aged kids and can dictate your own vacation time, I would definitely go for May.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
To my understanding, different schools have differnet time schedules for Spring Break. I agree that the late March/all of April time frame usually covers it. It also depends, however, on where you want to go on vacation. Places like Florida can be a nightmare, however, you might find another place that's just as (or more) enjoyable that isn't a typical Spring Break destination.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Check with your travel agent quickly! My wife and are taking a trip to Ireland and had planned to leave on April 16th. When we went to book it, back in January, our agent told us it was spring break (we never asked if it was the start or finish) and while going from NYC to Ireland was no problem, it was next to impossible to get a connecting flight from here to NYC. (also the air fares were through the roof, $400 each for a 45 minute flight which was actually more than the Ireland flight). To make a long story short, she got us a flight that leaves a day earlier and at a much lower price so we end up with an extra day over there. I can live with that. When we had talked about taking a vacation in April, we never even considered it was spring break. We won't make that mistake again.

Tommy G

Screenwriter

You're not kidding. We just vacationed in Anaheim from New Years Eve until Jan. 10. It rained every day except one and never made it over 60 degrees. Good news was we got on any and all rides in Knotts Berry and Disneyland any time we wanted with no more than a 5 minute wait for anything. Even our day at the San Diego Zoo barely reached 60.

Users who are viewing this thread