What's new

When is MGM going to step up their DVD efforts? (1 Viewer)

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator

If you can play discs from other regions and don't mind them being in PAL, you might like to know these two films have recently been released in the UK. Whether this is an indication that they will be coming to the US soon is another matter. I don't think either film has any extras and, presumably in an attempt to keep costs down and distribute the same discs across Europe, all menu options have been designed as universally recognisable symbols or icons rather than words, but at least they are OAR and out there to buy.:)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Yes, you did. Trust me, I follow DVD pretty well and a lot of the announcements and number of releases lately have been dropped lower or disappeared entirely. Their proposed Midnight Movies wave became repackaged double feature discs and a good chunk of their latest catalogue titles were horrorendous pan & scan rush jobs.

In my eyes, the quantity and quality of their home video product has dropped tremendously and very quickly, though I was willing to look past that as their overall output as a studio seems to be in trouble. All I'm wondering is if/when the Sony merger might give them cause to improve.

It's great to hear about Alfredo Garcia, because now the Peckinpah library will be unbroken through The Killer Elite. They just need to get decent copies of Convoy and Cross of Iron (please!!!) out, and his theatrical filmography will be complete.

As for Love Streams, does anyone else know what the deal is with this and/or the Cassavetes biopic? Thanks.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
woohoo !

at least a date has been set.

One movie i have been waiting years for. Managed to the pick up the rare vinyl soundtrack recently too. "Tell Me" is a fantastic song.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
MGM can be really good when they want to be. They've done a great job on lots of foreign/cult titles that most studios wouldn't even bother with. "Wild at Heart" is an excellent DVD... beautiful transfer and lots of great bonus features. I also can't see most other studios releasing movies like "Flesh & Blood" and "Spetters" for example, in their completely uncut (and with Spetters, briefly hardcore) form like they did, and with superb transfers.

What I also love about MGM is their pricing... chances are, if you wait a couple of months for one of their titles, it'll go down in price significantly. Unfortunately, with their sale to Sony that will change, because Sony is the worst for that, they rarely drop their prices like MGM does. Sony's acquisition of MGM will not mean better quality of their product; just higher prices!

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I desperately want Wuthering Heights (1939) on DVD. I had the out of print HBO release, but I foolishly sold it at one point when I needed money and assumed a new release would come soon. Boy, do I regret that!! Has there been any indications or rumors at all about a re-release of this film? It is a favorite of mine and I want it back in my library ASAP!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
As a fan of good cover art, I will be glad to say "good riddence" to MGM's DVD cover art. Their branding is just too prominent.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
for some reason, I had thought that MGM were re-releasing WUTHERING HEIGHTS(1939) and THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING
so I sold my HBO, and bare-bones Criterion-and not a word on either;;

Speaking of no-shows, I thought MGM had HOW I WON THE WAR on it release slate a while back;

And what happened to Lindsay Andersons' IF from Warners?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If... (1968) is owned by Paramount. We should see it this year, if Paramount do indeed setp up there operations, but I'm not holding my breath.

It is Anderson's O, Lucky Man! (1973) that is owned by Warner, but seeing as Warner has so many titles on the slate, we may not see it until next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks