What's new

When is MGM going to step up their DVD efforts? (1 Viewer)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Now that Sony has bought up MGM, are they going to step up their efforts on the DVD front? It seems only the more obvious titles are being announced for 2005 (more Leone, Hoosiers: SE, new additions of Get Shorty and Spaceballs for the sequels, etc.).

What about the less mainstream titles? For horror, they're still sitting on From Beyond, Full Moon High and Night of the Comet. They have TONS of great westerns that remain unreleased from many of the best Spaghetti directors (Corbucci, Sollima, etc.), not just Leone. They are also holding some of the remaining films of great directors like Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia or Cassavetes' A Child is Waiting, Love Streams and the biopic he starred in, I'm Almost Not Crazy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The merger won't be completed/finalized for some time, so it's influence on MGM's dvd production output won't be known for a while.

Crawdaddy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
In the meantime there are United Artists titles as yet unreleased (WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT?, THE OFFENCE to name a few), and American International ones also (BURN WITCH BURN, anyone?)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I'd say they've already started doing good work with DVDs by preparing a Get Shorty Special Edition. That was the one MGM DVD I wanted most.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Not sure about other titles, but on the two Lynch titles, so far, MGM has offered the best transfers, sound, and extras on Lynch titles (Blue Velvel SE and Wild at Heart SE) than any other company.

They far surpassed the New Line Twin Peaks: FWWM DVD in both quality and bonus material.

Silence of the Lambs was a pretty good disc as well. I have no complaints.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Great news. There are still a few horror/cult favorites that I'm dying to have from them, and I love how MGM handles their horror/cult titles. They've released some excellent DVDs of other titles as well. On the other hand, I'm no fan of Sony's handling of their catalogue in general. MGM is a much better studio than Sony in my eyes, and it disheartens me that they bought them.

James N

Grip
I'm glad you mentioned Love Streams. It's really a masterpiece, and in desperate need of a release.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Most importantly... how's about a complete, definitive Pink Panther cartoon collection considering just about every other country in the world has gotten one this year?

I've seen just about every form of product merchandising to cash in on the cartoon cat's 40th anniversary from action figures and toys to cd/music releases, all sorts of random items like keychains and school supplies... but where are the films?!?!?!

The UK just got a complete collection of every single Pink Panther short in a wonderful 4-disc box set with some excellent supplemental features including all of the original animated opening sequences from the live-action movies, including those that have never been released on dvd before like Clousseau, etc. and some insightful documentaries and still galleries, etc. The only MAJOR setback is the aspect ratio isincorrect... these were shot fullframe and are presented 16:9!!!

MGM - PLESE CORRECT THIS AND RELEASE A SIMILAIR COLLECTION IN R1, WE'VE BEEN WAITING EVER SO PATIENTLY!!!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Yes, Wheres' HAWAII
A THOUSAND CLOWNS
A CHILD IS WAITING
PHAEDRA
WHATS NEW PUSSYCAT?
SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA?
BUONA SERA MRS CAMPBELL?
All UA films

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...an SE of LIFEFORCE...:D
(16x9,both versions-with alternate music cues, making of, deleted scenes, Hooper comentary, etc)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
When is MGM going to step up their DVD efforts??? Did I read that correctly?????

MGM has to be the most active DVD company out there. I think they have probably released more titles than any other company. In each of the past few months it seems they have released as many titles as, say Paramount (a company that REALLY needs to step up their efforts) releases all year.

They may not have released some titles you have been interesting, but they aren't slackers.

And as for LOVE STREAMS, this was announced by them years ago, but something happened and it never was released.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I want: A Child is Waiting (Judy Garland), Pride and Prejudice (1940), Wuthering Heights (1939), and the David Lean Collection that was announced, and then postponed for whatever reasons.

Andy

walter o

Supporting Actor
I dont think we are going to be hearing a Hooper commentary anytime soon, I hear he wants tons of money for commentary tracks, which priced himself out of many later DVD releases of his films.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Movies Unlimited posted on their website today that March 3rd will be the release date for 6 Samuel Goldwyn movies on DVD plus the release of Cliff Robertson's Charly in widescreen presentation. Remember that it had been announced for December in a form other than widescreen.

The Goldwyn titles are: Barbary Coast with Edward G. Robinson/Joel McCrea/Miriam Hopkins
Stella Dallas with Barbara Stanwyck/Anne Shirley/John Boles
Come and Get It with Edward Arnold/Walter Brennan/Frances Farmer/Joel McCrea
Arrowsmith with Ronald Colman and Helen Hayes
Dead End with Humphrey Bogart/Sylvia Sidney/Joel McCrea/Claire Trevor and the Dead End Kids
Enchantment with Farley Granger/David Niven/Teresa Wright
Today, Movies Unlimited posted We Live Again-1934 with Fredric March and Anna Sten-the foreign born actress that Goldwyn failed to make into "his Garbo".

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I hope the acquisition by Sony does indeed mean more and better product and not...

Superbit re-releases of an odd selection of MGM titles :D

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
You say you wanted "Alfredo Garcia"?

16x9, DD mono, audio commentary with Peckinpah scholars Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle (with Moderator Nick Redman) and the trailer. Retail is $14.95.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks